What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reserves Rd 17 v Magpies

Yep, Magpies v Magpies. Said it before, what a joke having the same ‘mascot’ as team name in same competition.

Anyway:
Josh Reynolds and Oliver Clark have dropped out of the NRL 21-man squad named earlier in the week while Paul Momorovski and Chris McQueen remain in the 19-man squad after joining the team for their final session at Leichhardt Oval.

So yet again, the following won’t be the starting 17.

1. Watson Heleta
2. Harry O'Toole
3. Tommy Talau
4. Kane McQuiggin
5. Kane Bradley
6. Max Burey. - assume Reynolds at 6
7. Jock Madden
8. Russell Packer
9. Soni Luke
10. Patrice Siolo - assume Clark gets a start
11. Luke Garner (capt.)
12. Sam McIntyre
13. Jack Miller

Interchange:
14. Dylan Smith
15. Elia Faatui
19. Ray Jankovic
23. Bilal Maarbani

14. Dylan Smith
2. Harry O'Toole
3. Tommy Talau
1. Watson Heleta
5. Kane Bradley
6. Max Burey
7. Jock Madden
8. Russell Packer
9. Soni Luke
15. Oliver Clark
11. Luke Garner (capt.)
12. Sam McIntyre
13. Jack Miller

Interchange:
4. Kane McQuiggin
10. Patrice Siolo
19. Rajko Jankovic
20. Dylan Clifford

The unknown

Juniors
Hopefully Packer has a dig. Embarrassing if he doesn't

FFS just set yourself a target of atleast 10 runs and make all your tackles. Not hard

Last edited:
Hopefully Packer has a dig. Embarrassing if he doesn't

FFS just set yourself a target of atleast 10 runs and make all your tackles. Not hard
Not hard for many.
Looked at the 1st half stats, he lasted 14 minutes & 40 seconds before he was replaced.
OK so I don’t know if he was hurt, etc but if not, 14 minutes, that’s a wow.

If it was his heartilage he should be sacked for impersonating a footballer.

Pezz70

Juniors
I’m tipping he’ll be back in NRL next week, just blowing out a few cob webs in reserves hence the two ten minute stints

100 games of first-grade experience were the difference as the class of halfback Will Smith and fullback Bevan French helped the Wentworthville Magpies to a 26-10 win over Western Suburbs on Sunday afternoon at Bankwest Stadium.

Along with hooker Matt McIllwrick, who boasts 56 NRL games, the pair put in a composed performance against their more inexperienced counterparts.

Smith, whose last first-grade appearance was in Round 13, was a constant threat in attack finishing the match with three try-assists while his kicking game was precise.

French, who tops the try scorers in the Canterbury Cup NSW competition, was deceptive as always with the ball in hand while also another valuable kicking option.

An early penalty gifted Western Suburbs prime attacking field position and they capitalised with ease, halfback Jock Madden playing it short for a charging Luke Garner to score.

Madden was successful with his conversion, handing Wests a 6-0 lead.

A smart kick from Smith and strong contact from French then saw Wentworthville force a dropout to earn their first shot at points.

And they too were quick to take advantage, a left-side spread ending with Smith putting Ethan Parry over.

Smith couldn’t land the conversion from near the sideline, leaving the score at 6-4 after 10 minutes.

Wests eventually hit back when Tommy Talau fended off Parry to surge over in the 17th minute.

Madden’s conversion drifted right of the posts.

In a seesawing affair, an error coming out of trouble from Wests fullback Watson Heleta invited Wentworthville back into the contest.

McIllwrick threw a crash ball to Oregon Kaufusi, the successful conversion then locking things up with 15 minutes remaining in the first half.

Two opportunities went begging in the next five minutes as both Smith and Stefano Utoikamanu went over the line but were unable to get the ball down.

Smith made up for it minutes later though, bagging his second try-assist of the game as he put Salesi Fainga’a over.

The conversion attempt from Smith was waved away.

Their first-grade experience telling, Smith and French together forced consecutive dropouts to heap further pressure on Wests and it told as Rhys Davies darted out of dummy-half to score in the dying moments of the half.

He landed the conversion to hand Wentworthville a 20-10 lead at the break.

After a relatively uneventful opening 15 minutes to the second half, Tim Mannah burst through the middle and could see the speedy French backing up in support.

But the fullback was held back, prompting the officials to blow a penalty and Wentworthville extended their lead.

Smith was the creator once more, this time throwing an ambitious long ball which bounced up for Haze Dunster to soar over in the corner.

Davies nailed the conversion from the sideline.

Wests went over for two late tries, the first to Kane McQuiggin before Max Burey chased down a chip kick, leaving the final difference at six points.

Shredder

Juniors
Agree 05 - and no promises required, your in reggies, push your way into firsts.

Not sure he would be cheap though. He is playing down on a first grade contract.

Tiger05

First Grade
Agree 05 - and no promises required, your in reggies, push your way into firsts.

Not sure he would be cheap though. He is playing down on a first grade contract.

I doubt it's a big dollar contract. He is exactly what we need.

While discussing the reserves, perhaps the coach needs to go, hasn’t achieved much at all.

He was bought in as a ‘favourite son returns’ signing but they got rid of Paul Fletcher who I think did ok.

Stats:
Packer 46 minutes, 29 tackles, 99 metres
Clark. 46 minutes, 30 tackles, 74 metres

Compared to
Tim Mannah 54 minutes, 25 tackles 168 metres
Daniel Alvaro 64 minutes, 38 tackles, 201 minutes

I’d sign Alvaro out of the 4, always runs hard and is tough.

The unknown

Juniors
While discussing the reserves, perhaps the coach needs to go, hasn’t achieved much at all.

He was bought in as a ‘favourite son returns’ signing but they got rid of Paul Fletcher who I think did ok.

Yep Hodgson seems a dud, would hate to see him ruin his legacy at the tigers if he continues but I just don't think he's got it

Everytime I've seen this mob run around they just look like a poorly coached team

tiger102

Juniors
Yep Hodgson seems a dud, would hate to see him ruin his legacy at the tigers if he continues but I just don't think he's got it

Every time I've seen this mob run around they just look like a poorly coached team
What about Garth Brennan, Has a great record as NSW cup coach. We should get him to replace Hodgson.