What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retention

The Nick

Bench
Based on what we've seen so far in 2015, which of the current off contract players would you want to retain for 2017 and beyond?

Leeson Ah Mau - with Packer coming and possibly another forward, see ya Mr Ah Mau
Mike Cooper - Would like to see Mike Cooper retained
Ben Creagh - absolutely must re-sign. Earned the right to retire a 1 club player.
Shannon Crook - nope
Craig Garvey - nope
Yaw Kiti Glymin - nope
Nathan Green - absolutely not
Beau Henry - nope
Kris Keating -only as a depth player, otherwise nope.
Heath L’Estrange - yes
Jake Marketo - yes
Peter Mata’utia - if we can find a starting spot then yes, otherwise I think his value will exceed what we should be paying for a depth player.
Will Matthews - nope
Eto Nabuli - yes, will only get better with more first grade experience and another full offseason
Jason Nightingale - 100% yes or I will riot
George Rose - I have been relatively impressed, but not sure how he'll fit into the team when Packer arrives.
Shannon Wakeman - nope
Justin Hunt - nope

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I would retain Leeson Au Mau but not on too much coin. If they can keep him for 150-200k then that is good value.

Shannon Crook has not had a run in NRL why give up on him he has good wraps.

Creagh, Cooper, L'Estrange, Marketo, Mat'Utai, Nabuli should be retained.

Nighty should be given Lifetime membership and the keys to the city or Wollongong. He is a definate without a doubt. He is the heart and soul of the Dragons.

The rest are no loss at all. Time to move them on and get some cheapies on board.

Has Dan Hunt got 1 more year? Geez, your kidding if he does. How long was his contract 10 years? Which genius signed him for that long?

St Tangles

Bench
Ah Mau - If we retain Cooper no. If not yes.
Cooper - Yes
Creagh - Yes
Crook - Yes still young and will improve
Garvey - If we get McInnes from Souths no. If not yes.
Kiti Glymin - No
Green - No
Henry - Gone already
Keating - No
L'Estrange - Again depends on McInnes from Souths
Marketo - Very similar to Docker but less injuries so yes
Mata'utai - Yes depending on cost and would play him before Nabuli
Matthews - No
Nabuli - Yes
Nightingale - Yes
Rose - No
Wakeman - No
Hunt - No

I expect some of the no's to stay on cutters contracts

getsmarty

Immortal
Au Mau has improved. For the right amount a keeper. No to Green/Keating/...The rest it depends on who is coming. We are Stuck with Hunt.

TheRev

Coach
If they can't get rid of hunt, lets hope we can at least get him on the field.. We need some extra bodies for injury cover.

The Nick

Bench
I would retain Leeson Au Mau but not on too much coin. If they can keep him for 150-200k then that is good value.

Shannon Crook has not had a run in NRL why give up on him he has good wraps.

Creagh, Cooper, L'Estrange, Marketo, Mat'Utai, Nabuli should be retained.

Nighty should be given Lifetime membership and the keys to the city or Wollongong. He is a definate without a doubt. He is the heart and soul of the Dragons.

The rest are no loss at all. Time to move them on and get some cheapies on board.

Has Dan Hunt got 1 more year? Geez, your kidding if he does. How long was his contract 10 years? Which genius signed him for that long?

Only going off what I've seen mate, and admittedly I've watched very limited lower grades over the last few seasons.

watatank

Coach
Ah Mau and Nabuli are off contract at the end of 2016.

Edit: actually, Ah Mau is off contract 2015. Nabuli is end of 2016.

Last edited:

hardbaby

Coach
I'd keep Ah Mau. Re hooker I think we'll get McInnes so they'll let Rein go and keep Lestrange. Very disappointed that Runciman hasn't kicked on. I reckon Dugan will join Aitken in the centres with Dufty to fullback. Mata'utia is worth keeping as he covers three positions. In truth we don't have much depth in the outside backs. We need a centre/winger.

citizen

Juniors
Crook is a definite KEEP. He has a long kicking game, can put a player on the outside and doesn't shy away in defence. He and Hutchinson are our future halves.

BennyV

Referee
Only going off what I've seen mate, and admittedly I've watched very limited lower grades over the last few seasons.

Trust those who've watched him, the kid can play. Got all the tools - kicking, passing, running games, creativity and vision. IMO he is the better half out of him and Hutch, but had a tough few years with a severe ACL injury. Prior to that, he was dominant in U20s despite playing above his age. A must keep.

BennyV

Referee
I'd keep Mata'utia over Nabuli any day - younger, more skillful and more reliable.

Would like to keep Ah Mau, hes the sort of squad player every team needs. Cooper too.

Creagh and nighty are No brainers, definitely keep.

Crook, Marketo yes, Matthews is decent for depth.

WOuld keep Le'strange if we get rid of Rein.

The rest, nope.

Based on what we've seen so far in 2015, which of the current off contract players would you want to retain for 2017 and beyond?

Leeson Ah Mau - with Packer coming and possibly another forward, see ya Mr Ah Mau
Mike Cooper - Would like to see Mike Cooper retained
Ben Creagh - absolutely must re-sign. Earned the right to retire a 1 club player.
Shannon Crook - nope
Craig Garvey - nope
Yaw Kiti Glymin - nope
Nathan Green - absolutely not
Beau Henry - nope
Kris Keating -only as a depth player, otherwise nope.
Heath L?Estrange - yes
Jake Marketo - yes
Peter Mata?utia - if we can find a starting spot then yes, otherwise I think his value will exceed what we should be paying for a depth player.
Will Matthews - nope
Eto Nabuli - yes, will only get better with more first grade experience and another full offseason
Jason Nightingale - 100% yes or I will riot
George Rose - I have been relatively impressed, but not sure how he'll fit into the team when Packer arrives.
Shannon Wakeman - nope
Justin Hunt - nope

Suggest we have this discussion after state of origin series with respect to most players.

Would not keep Henry,Keating,Hunt.

Garvey is yet to get his chance.

Crook, Creagh,Cooper,Mata'utia and Nightingale are must keeps.

Matthews ok as a depth signing.

Rose and Ah Mau are fine on low coin.

watatank

Coach
Creagh/Nightingale- have earned the right to retire one club players. Morris leaving should make Nightingale an automatic signing.

Ah Mau/Cooper- Would most likely have to make a choice if Cooper doesn't return to England. Would both be quality cheap signings if we manage to keep them.

L'Estrange/Garvey- Depends on who else is here. If we recruit McInnes and Rein is still around then you wouldn't keep either.

Crook- If he wants to bide his time he should be an automatic re-signing but he still has Widdop, Marshall, Hutchison ahead of him so he could leave for a better opportunity elsewhere.

Matautia- Keep as a winger or outside back depth but could lose him to better offers.

Henry/Keating- Henry has already left and Keating is proving to be a pointless signing so no

Matthews- Yeah should keep as depth

Marketo- Should keep him around and also train him in a few positions as well to make him more versatile

Rose- Don't see the point of keeping him beyond this season.

Rest will either stick around as a squad member (not top 25) or be replaced by someone of similar ability and value

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Was Crook the guy who came on in the Nines and had a pretty big impact where he set up a try with a neat kick in the in goal? He looked so confident and at ease. Maybe because it was Nines but he certainly was very impressive.

Crook will be kept why put in so many years of work to just let him go now when he's starting to get over the injury hurdle.

Phil9496

Juniors
You are correct. Crook set up a couple of tries from kicks in one game. And scored out wide in another. He is a definite re-sign for me. I have been to watch most of the Cutters games this year and he has performed well. Just think they need to get the ball to him a little more to get the most out of his big kicking game.