What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retire Ben Hunt

maestro1

Bench
Why would he care he was kept here against his will.
Its the bloke that kept him here that needs to make all the running to avoid the inevitable

I see you still beating the same drum. You do know that we all know you hate Flanno. No need to keep repeating it. Talk about a broken record. Did you ever think that maybe he was told that he had to take the coaching job on the provisional he kept Hunt. You and I are not privy to these negotiations.

BennyV

Referee
Looking forward to the Red V Podcast's attempts to defend him again this week.

"He's having a career best year"
"He's your halfback as long as he wants to be here"
Lol please!

The guy is the living embodiment of the McGregor years - all the tools to succeed let down by a complete lack of direction and desire to blame everyone else. Our rebuild cannot really start until he f**ks right off.

Scootsie

Juniors
When Hunt comes back from representing the Kangaroos in the Pacific Cup he’ll be back in training with the Dragons For his final season.
He‘ll likely start at half, but in season 2025 he might expect more bench time ‘IF‘ they can find a half to step up and into the role.
No Lomax means that Hunt’s kicking game will most likely be dramatically less effective.
Theres no pressure on Hunt. All the pressure is on Flanagan.

matPORTS

Juniors
The defense of Hunt seems to be around the fact that Damien Cook is coming and this will take more pressure off him.

First of all, don't get me wrong, I think Cookie will add a lot to our squad both on and off the field in his leadership capacity.

But one could easily argue - why did we need to go and chase Cook when the answer was already available?

9. Liddle
14. Hunt

Use the $600k+ (or thereabouts) to entice Wishart back to the club? Or surely there is another young half back out there who could fit the bill with some negotiation to get them out of their current contracts (i.e. O'Sullivan).

Make no bones about it - the jury is well and truly out on Hunt now. The smart jury can and should reject the evidence of "number one for try assists".

Hunt needs to step up in the games like we've had the last three weeks and take full responsibility.

I don't know whether I've seen Hunt lead us out of a game where we have been up against it (whether it's closing out a tight one, a come back win or regaining some level of respectability on the scoreboard). At the very least we could probably count the occasions on one hand. Performances, like those of the last three weeks, aren't going to be acceptable in 2025 - we need to be putting in more respectable performances against the regular mainstay finals teams of the last 5-7 years AND those teams who end up being around or just below us on the table during any given season. This needs your leadership group to be on song every game, and the burden of making sure this happens is firmly on the captain.

One finals appearance in seven seasons. The last remanence of the McGregor-era. It really is time to seriously consider moving on.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
The game against Manly when they had 4 injuries and no reserves. I believe we were up at halftime, but DCE took control of the game with his kicking and that was the end of it.
That along with another earlier game against Newcastle in the wet, where he was completely out played by Hastings and Cogger.

With Cook and Liddle next year, our attack play is going to start with either those two. We don’t need Hunt. Just need a 7 who can direct us around the park with a decent kicking game. Doesn’t have to be a world beater.

since77

Juniors
One finals appearance in seven seasons. The last remanence of the McGregor-era. It really is time to seriously consider moving on.
This is the thing to remember when people start dissecting this season and why we finished the way we did.
This season was built on the foundations that our inept board has been putting in place since the day they doubled down on Steve Price, then McGregor, then Griffin. This is the hole they have dug.
Poor Flanno inherited a bottom 4 roster and a weak minded losing culture that stretches back to Steve Price, was made worse by McGregor and then coke guzzlin' Griffin took us all down to the lows of the worst Dragon's side I've ever seen.
Frankly I think it is a minor miracle we racked up as many wins in '24 as we did. The roster and the losing culture Flanno inherited was wooden spoon material.

Como Connection

First Grade
The game against Manly when they had 4 injuries and no reserves. I believe we were up at halftime, but DCE took control of the game with his kicking and that was the end of it.
That along with another earlier game against Newcastle in the wet, where he was completely out played by Hastings and Cogger.

With Cook and Liddle next year, our attack play is going to start with either those two. We don’t need Hunt. Just need a 7 who can direct us around the park with a decent kicking game. Doesn’t have to be a world beater.
Surely Cook could play 6 or 7 with young Fano.
CC

blue bags

First Grade
Didn't they thrash Broncos in the first final and then lose by one point in the next? Surely that's a fair result. Having said that, I'd still move him on if we could and buy a forward.
Yes. Smashed Broncos by about 40
Then played Rabbitohs
Dragons leading by 2 . With 3 minutes left
Then Rabbitohs kicked 3 field goal's
And won . Unhucking unbelievable
Never seen a game finish like that
Never forget it. Absolutely disappointed 😞

Mojo

Bench
What’s the go with Lomax? No fanfare for his last game. I didn’t see any of his teammates even giving him a pat on the back. Maybe I just missed it all.

Also, I reckon Liddle is proving to be one of the best 9’s in the comp.