What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richardson calls for single administration of the NRL

mark123

Juniors
I applaud this thinking

Surely, people in Rugby League is this country can see the sense. The people who's positions are to go may not want to budge. That attitude should not be accepted.

I think sport is one of those strange "merging realities" areas of life....kind of like religion and politics. Sport and money merge.

On the one hand, you do it for the money, on the other, you need the love.

You can have any combination, except when money dominates love.

A poisoned chalice: I would ask the people, for the love of the game to step aside. If you cannot step aside for the love of the game to make it better, then you must be doing it for the money. In which case you should step aside too.

And so, to determine all of this please appoint an unbiased unassociated company to audit and investgate a single body and what should be done, who should stay, what positions there need to be...

This is a huge issue.

Couple this with the fact that the C7 case is about to be handed down, and news of the fact that the ARL is becoming increasingly financially independant due to the WC - and we might just be seeing RL breaking away from the shackles of news ltd ownership.

I think we have a duty to get behind this. This is the chance for Rugby League to rise to it's true potential. If we are free of news by the next tv deal. We can start to put in place all those strategic dreams that you all have. More teams, more development and become the no.1 code in Australia forever more.

The Preacher

First Grade
Just be careful that Richardson isn't just feathering his own nest. He's obviously not in control at Souths, and I'm not Rabbit bashing, but he has been in control at every other post he's held. He has wanted the top job for quite a while, and this could be him just pushing his own barrow.

Mate - if he wants the top job and has passion and vision. He can have it...I just want to see a true Rugby League man stand up for what is right. Unifying the bodies and getting rid of news is the way forward. We need to stop the bleeding and self interest.

I think that Richardson wants what is best for the game. If he has a hand in that, so be it. I don't think we should look at it as him somehow wanting to push his own barrow - that would be a pessimistic view of what is a pretty important message here.

Simo

First Grade
International RL said:
and news of the fact that the ARL is becoming increasingly financially independant due to the WC -

Can you explain a bit more or link me to something about this quote?

You would barely even know the world cup is on let alone assume it to create some kind of financial windfall.

t-ba

Post Whore
War is coming very soon. I just hope it's quick, clean and doesn't generate the acrimony that Super League did in the 1990's. I'm not holding my breath.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Simo said:

You would barely even know the world cup is on let alone assume it to create some kind of financial windfall.

And on the weekend you had Wilson claiming that the WC was going to be a massive money spinner for the ARL. Do people not realise that the last one lost over 1 million pounds! If they break even it would be fantastic.

S.S.T.I.D said:
And on the weekend you had Wilson claiming that the WC was going to be a massive money spinner for the ARL. Do people not realise that the last one lost over 1 million pounds! If they break even it would be fantastic.

Everyone knows the problems that the last WC had. That doesn't mean that they automatically will translate to this one.

Have a look at some of the info on the cup in the paper today and the threads in the international section.

I think this is the biggest problem the game has in terms of development. The game needs to be run by one body, to get rid of the factions and people looking out only for their own agenda.
Obviously each club is going to have their ideas on what they need, and will differ from the next. To me the first step is having the NRL run by a single entity, then move onto the ARL.
In fact, it should be the other way, in that the ARL is the governing body of the game, and they run the NRL

Winston Smith

Juniors
Simo said:

Agree. I'm battling to see how it makes money - apart from govt donations to hold matches in Brisbane or Sydney. The world cup is basically tri-nations plus ... 3 proper teams with a whole lot of hangers on to make up the numbers. Except for Aust, NZ and GB, most of the games would only half fill woop woop park in woop woop, and would get 3 men and a dog watching on TV. Its not like there are huge audiences in Lebanon hanging out to see their team on TV - actually, do they actually play league anywhere in Lebanon, like is there an actual RL stadium soemwhere in Beirut, or is Lebanon just a bogus invention to fill out the places in the WC?

Mind you, I could make similar criticisms of Rugby WC (maybe 6-8 decent teams with others making up the numbers) and cricket WC (about the same), but the RL one just strikes me as that bit more of a joke in the way it cobbles together teams to make up numbers.

PS - the multiple administrations of RL are a joke too. I don't think the ARL, CRL, QRL etc exist for much other reason than to give (well paid) jobs to a few old boys.

colonel_123

Juniors
Winston Smith said:
Agree. I'm battling to see how it makes money - apart from govt donations to hold matches in Brisbane or Sydney. The world cup is basically tri-nations plus ... 3 proper teams with a whole lot of hangers on to make up the numbers. Except for Aust, NZ and GB, most of the games would only half fill woop woop park in woop woop, and would get 3 men and a dog watching on TV. Its not like there are huge audiences in Lebanon hanging out to see their team on TV - actually, do they actually play league anywhere in Lebanon, like is there an actual RL stadium soemwhere in Beirut, or is Lebanon just a bogus invention to fill out the places in the WC?

Mind you, I could make similar criticisms of Rugby WC (maybe 6-8 decent teams with others making up the numbers) and cricket WC (about the same), but the RL one just strikes me as that bit more of a joke in the way it cobbles together teams to make up numbers.

PS - the multiple administrations of RL are a joke too. I don't think the ARL, CRL, QRL etc exist for much other reason than to give (well paid) jobs to a few old boys.

Did you read the article I posted?

The ARL and IRLF which are running the world cup separate from the NRL and News LTD have negotiated local (Channel 9 and Foxtel will broadcast all the games) and international TV rights for the World Cup that are separate from the TV deal for the NRL.

That means that the ARL and IRLF will recieve 100% of the money from the broadcast rights to the WC.

Add to that sponsorship deals, merchandising and gate takings and you've got your income.

As for your point about cobbling teams together, all of the countries participating in this world cup have domestic rugby league competitions in their own country.

Simo

First Grade
colonel_123 said:

Well an interesting read but sounds a bit like an anti news ltd rant than a true insight into the financial prospects of the WC. I notice Roy Masters name at the top and League HQ is a SMH site isnt it?

Suprised I didnt see Phil Ghoulds name on it....

I hope to God it all goes well and people attend the games and we finally get some money to the game but I wouldnt base that on an anti new ltd article from their opposition.

Id like to know more about the pro rata deal with nine. Im not truely sure what that means but I hope the money is guaranteed and not a deal that relies on certain viewing numbers or bums on seats as I fear like other international matches they may be lacking and it could all go belly up.

Copa

Bench
Winston Smith said:

Lebanon

http://www.lebrl.com/

Lebanon rugby league on youtube (Al Jazeera feature)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxAOVsr8jw

mark123

Juniors
whatever happens they need to get together and talk about it sooner rather than later.

If all anyone gets out of it is news saying "we will be out of the game between X years and x years time." then something would be gained.

I think more could be acheived; specifically, a path needs to made clear about how to get the admin down to one body from whatever the heck it is now.

we need a roadmap.

i am a firm believer in two things

1. we are only on this planet for around 28,000 days, and our mission is to make love and pro-create - everything else is Bull Sh.t. Everything in life is simply geared toward that goal. For us guys, the house you own, the car you drive, the job you do, the money you make and the food you buy and eat....everything in your day is simply a big love-dance...the mission is to make love and raise children. Thats what you were truly born to do.

2. there are leaders and followers. You can have many followers, but only one leader. One direction in the right direction is the fastest way to any goal.

So for all of you who cant read between lines - i think the games administration is Bull Sh.t.

Get on with it, be optimal, be the best, and have the best. You are just wasting time. Its weak and its financially poor thinking. A bigger pot awaits, and its easier than people realise to get to. Thats the kind of eliteist thinking that gets you laid. Right now, the admin is a bunch of acne faced kids wanking. The game is this great thing in our minds that we are simply failing to realise in reality its full potential!!

Dont be offended. Draw the parralels, and come to a conclusion. Mine is that for everyday they waste, there is some quantifiable lost production that is continually adding up. That = RL progress lost forever.

International RL said:
This is a huge issue.

Couple this with the fact that the C7 case is about to be handed down, and news of the fact that the ARL is becoming increasingly financially independant due to the WC - and we might just be seeing RL breaking away from the shackles of news ltd ownership.

I think we have a duty to get behind this. This is the chance for Rugby League to rise to it's true potential. If we are free of news by the next tv deal. We can start to put in place all those strategic dreams that you all have. More teams, more development and become the no.1 code in Australia forever more.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

with you one million percent!

let the ownership of the game resort to the body that came about from the actions of the founding fathers of the game.

RL was born as a result of union not caring about its players, it survived because of the fans. the game means much more than a number of the news ltd balance sheet.

we need to get expanding again - news ltd have always had an agenda of less teams in RL as that was ribot's "vision". its time we realized our potential and put those mickey mouse sport of afl in its place.

perth, wellington, central coast and brisbane (second club) - when are they coming in?

LESStar58

Referee
"We also invited Michael Searle [Titans], Peter Parr [Cowboys] and Denis Fitzgerald [Parramatta] but he was overseas," Waldron said.

Wow, those 2 get along? :lol:

To say nothing of the bad blood between Waldron and Parr a few years ago re Carl Webb king hitting Ryan Hoffman.

t-ba said:
War is coming very soon. I just hope it's quick, clean and doesn't generate the acrimony that Super League did in the 1990's. I'm not holding my breath.

no its not.

news ltd won't fight this time.

they have the pay TV rights and have recouped their losses via the increase in Foxtel by getting the Pay TV rights.

they own Big League and Rugby League Week, and have a share of the merchandising.

its not a big thing to return onweship of the game to its rightful owner, the body charged with growing the game, rather than its profits.

Latest posts