What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richie Benaud

Suitman

Post Whore
BTW, I don't ever remember the old Cumberland Cricket Club (now Parramatta) playing at Cumberland Oval. (Pete might be able to correct me on this.)
I thought they always played at the oval behind the Stadium, called Old Kings Oval.

Suity

parra pete

Referee
Suitman said:
BTW, I don't ever remember the old Cumberland Cricket Club (now Parramatta) playing at Cumberland Oval. (Pete might be able to correct me on this.)
I thought they always played at the oval behind the Stadium, called Old Kings Oval.

Suity

I thought that too.
I can't recall a cricket pitch on Cumberland Oval, and I knew that they played at Old Kings Oval.
But I looked up Cumberland Cricket Club on Google and it revealed games were played there. I looked up Google to see what date the Cumberland v Randwick game was..
I remember playing on an outside ground at Merrylands Oval the day it was on, and can recall the huge crowd.
I transferred to the bush in June 1966 with my work, so it was before that.
Doug Walters was a current Test Player at the time...what year did he crack it into the Test side?

carson

Juniors
parra pete said:
I thought that too.
I can't recall a cricket pitch on Cumberland Oval, and I knew that they played at Old Kings Oval.
But I looked up Cumberland Cricket Club on Google and it revealed games were played there. I looked up Google to see what date the Cumberland v Randwick game was..
I remember playing on an outside ground at Merrylands Oval the day it was on, and can recall the huge crowd.
I transferred to the bush in June 1966 with my work, so it was before that.
Doug Walters was a current Test Player at the time...what year did he crack it into the Test side?

would have been the summer of 65-66.

Bigfella

Coach
At some stage Old Kings must have been used exclusively by the school though?

Presumably Cumberland would have played elsewhere then?

fish eel

Immortal
I tell you what, Dougie would have had a good comeback if one of his team mates was called a monkey!

Did he really start in 65-66?

Because didnt he retire around 80-81?

emjaycee

Coach
Doug Walters:
Test debut Australia v England at Brisbane, Dec 10-15, 1965
Last Test Australia v India at Melbourne, Feb 7-11, 1981

carson

Juniors
Saw Dougie at Lilac Hill a couple of months ago.

Didn't look like he has aged since when he used to play for Australia, all those tooheys 2.2's must be keeping him young.

Still insists he holds the drinking record for the australia to england ashes plane trip.

parra pete

Referee
Doug was a Guest Speaker at a Sportsperson of the Year here a couple of years ago.
He can sink a schooner or two that's for sure...and a good bloke with it. He stayed at our Motel on the night. Needed a stick of dynamite to wake him up in the morning to get him back on the plane home. He had a schooner, it seems with everyone at the function, and two smokes with every schooner...:lol:
Have the 'Rocket' Rodney Hogg coming for this years event. He's not too bad either. I am the MC of the Show, so looking forward to having a talk to him.
He was in town for the local Cricket re-union, I think about 2000. I went, but didn't get to have a yarn to him..He told some good stories though...

fish eel

Immortal
Hey Pete, I've read Dougie was a great free flowing batsman and can remember seeing him on the tele, how'd he stack up against someone like, say Trumper who I never saw;-)

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
Hey Pete, I've read Dougie was a great free flowing batsman and can remember seeing him on the tele, how'd he stack up against someone like, say Trumper who I never saw;-)

Lucky you didn't say W.G. Grace!!! :lol:

Suity

parra pete

Referee
Suitman said:
Lucky you didn't say W.G. Grace!!! :lol:

Suity

He was amazing, Grace....how sweet the sound of the ball coming off the bat.
It (the ball) once was lost, but now its found,
Those looking were blind, but now they see (enough to find it)