What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richie Mathers

lockyno1

Post Whore
He has played halves before admittedly in England but, I just do not see him as a fullback- he is slow compared to all the NRL fullbacks. Positionally he is fine, but Campbell and Rogers can do that with more accelleration off the mark. The problem with Mathers is Preston to be honest. You have to fit him in somewhere and Lewis has proven himself at 5/8 so fullback is about the only position left for Preston. I guess you could try Mathers on the wing but is he really a better winger than Chris Walker or Matt Peterson (who I used to bag but he is in form). Main problem Mathers has is actually getting a regular start.

Sharkie™

Juniors
If he doesnt fit into the side they might aswell sack, no point moving him to another position to just for the sake of having him in the side, there are a few clubs who need a new fullback eg souths or warriors (if mckinnion leaves)

lockyno1

Post Whore
Souths are probally getting Shaun Foley, but yes a few clubs need fullbacks- even the Tigers as well as Hodgson is likely to leave. But yes you are right in theory, but currently at the Titans that is his problem- there is really no starting spot for him UNLESS he can play wing or as a running backrower maybe.

bluesbreaker

Bench
TITAN1 said:
Who says hes going anywhere?
Apart from that,theres the choice of playing for a team with a shot at the finals,or souths.

Thought this comment was pretty funny, heh, silly Buccs fan! Question of the thread though, assuming he comes back to his best, will Richie ever see First grade again?

Magpie Nick

Juniors
curious said:
I would have him in the side at Center, Delaney offers nothing

Neither does Campbell on last year's form. Mathers should be at Fullback and Lewis at 5/8. Campbell's form last year means he should play his way back into the side.

crouching_tiger

Juniors
1. Shannon Walker
2. Richie Mathers/Brenton Bowen
3. Ben Jeffery
4. Brett Delaney/ Kingi Akaoula
5. Matt Rogers

6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince

I can see The Titans score at least 50 tries per match with this line-up...

Misanthrope

Staff member
I really do hope Mathers gets a good run at the #1 spot somewhere. England's current fullback, Wellens, is a deadset fraud at an international level. He gets found out by the speed and precision of the Kangaroos each and every year.

classy cas

Juniors
Rumour in the UK flying around is that Mathers is coming back and signed for the salary capping cheats Wigan Warriors

TITAN1

Juniors
classy cas said:
Rumour in the UK flying around is that Mathers is coming back and signed for the salary capping cheats Wigan Warriors

Injured Mathers will not be pulling the plug on Titans
July 19, 2007 04:28pm

19Jul07

INJURED fullback Richie Mathers has pledged his allegiance to the Gold Coast Titans following reports he is being hunted by Super League glamour club Wigan to return to England.

The former Leeds Rhinos star, who is currently recovering from a knee reconstruction, yesterday confirmed his commitment to the Gold Coast for at least another season.

An article in an Australian rugby league magazine yesterday reported Wigan were after Mathers to replace former Wests Tiger Michael Withers, who has retired because of a knee injury.

"That is the first I have heard of it, it is news to me," said Mathers.

"I have ambitions to play in the NRL and prove myself.

"I came over here to play over here. Why would they sign me anyway, I have got a busted knee and I am contracted to the Titans for next year."

Mathers ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in round 14, ending his season.

While teammates initially offered to fund a morale boosting trip home to England for Mathers and fiancee Sasha Darnbrough, the 23-year-old will remain on the Gold Coast.

Mathers said he was not about to do a Brian Carney, who pulled the plug on his Titans career after just one training session.

Mathers hopes to run in October, four months after his reconstruction.

Mathers is inspired by Gold Coast Breakers union star Chris Latham -- who had a similar graft operation to repair his knee -- and will make his return to the Wallabies tomorrow, six months after undergoing a reconstruction.
GC Bulletin

Pumba

First Grade
With Walker injured, Mathers gone unless they put Preston back at fullback it is looking good for this Shannon Walker lad.

Spike

First Grade
TITAN1 said:

19Jul07

INJURED fullback Richie Mathers has pledged his allegiance to the Gold Coast Titans following reports he is being hunted by Super League glamour club Wigan to return to England.

The former Leeds Rhinos star, who is currently recovering from a knee reconstruction, yesterday confirmed his commitment to the Gold Coast for at least another season.

An article in an Australian rugby league magazine yesterday reported Wigan were after Mathers to replace former Wests Tiger Michael Withers, who has retired because of a knee injury.

"I came over here to play over here. Why would they sign me anyway, I have got a busted knee and I am contracted to the Titans for next year."

Mathers ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in round 14, ending his season.

While teammates initially offered to fund a morale boosting trip home to England for Mathers and fiancee Sasha Darnbrough, the 23-year-old will remain on the Gold Coast.

Mathers said he was not about to do a Brian Carney, who pulled the plug on his Titans career after just one training session.

Mathers is inspired by Gold Coast Breakers union star Chris Latham -- who had a similar graft operation to repair his knee -- and will make his return to the Wallabies tomorrow, six months after undergoing a reconstruction.
GC Bulletin

Spike

First Grade
TITAN1 said:

19Jul07

GC Bulletin

It took him all of two days to turn around and sign with Wigan. A true turncoat of a man

D

Deleted member 10972

Titans are keeping Brad Meyers, yes?

Full strength:

Chris Walker
Shannon Walker
Brett Delaney
Matt Rogers
Matt Peterson
Preston Campbell
Scott Prince
Luke Bailey
Nathan Friend
Matthew Cross
Mark Minichiello
Anthony Laffranchi
Luke Swain

Clint Amos
Gavin Cooper
Michael Hodgson
Aaron Cannings

James Stosic
Ian Donnelly
Kris Kahler
Daniel Conn
Josh Lewis
Billy Ngawini
Smith Samau
Brenton Bowen
Ben Jeffery
Brad Meyers
Josh Graham
Michael Henderson
Luke O'Dwyer

Pretty solid.

Spike

First Grade
Magpie Nick said:
Check the date of that artcile before calling him a turn coat...

Still a turncoat. What happened to his pledge to the Titans?

Latest posts