What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart: Jarryd Hayne might be Parramatta's six symbol

emjaycee

Coach
How is Norman being judged incapable of playing 6 (the position he was recruited for ) when he hasn't even played a game for us yet? (but 7 apparently is ok... Go figure)

Agreed - the only position in our spine for 2014 that is undecided is "7" and that is only because the preferred candidate is having personal issues that may not have him on the field.
What happens in the remainder of 2013 will not have a bearing on plans for 2014.

Interesting comments there on kick returns, play making and organisation. Don't think the reference to the tigers problems was a glib comment, either.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
As much as I like reading that Hayne wants to play 6, the other question that comes to mind after reading this is: Isn't Ricky the coach?

What Ricky did with Jarryd is why Ricky is showing up as a very good coach. He let Jarryd take full-responsibility and it showed on the night, Jarryd lifted all the players. Ricky trusts Jarryd - with Ricky's vast footy background/experience/knowledge Ricky knows enough to assess Jarryd as someone who "thinks footy" very well (has the smarts), without ego (talking it up, etc) bullshit getting in the way, thus Ricky gave more responsibility to Jarryd and it clearly shows Ricky is a very good coach of men. Jarryd excelled as a leader of men and it showed on the field. This is no different to very smart business operators allowing subordinates to take more control, allowing their passion, enthusiasm, nous, etc, to drive his/her subordinates towards producing greater productivity with excellent results. Bonding is a very powerful and essential tool for long-term success and Ricky is using this wisely.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
How is Norman being judged incapable of playing 6 (the position he was recruited for ) when he hasn't even played a game for us yet? (but 7 apparently is ok... Go figure)

You don't get it yet. In this modern game Jarryd is clearly showing up as a leader of men and as he is a brilliant ball player, his leadership works best @ 6. Jarryd needs the ball in hand at least three to five times per set. As a leader/captain, set after set after set, this does not work when he's playing 1. Jarryd's time as a 1 is quickly coming to a grinding halt. The sooner he takes over 6, the sooner we become a real threat for premierships season after season until Jarryd retires.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Difinitely not. I just thought that we hadn't seen enough stupid headlines making a pun the 'six' thing. And I thought Marvin Gaye was pretty cool. So, if there are any sub-editors out there stuck for a headline, feel free to steal it.

You mean like this????................

A siix brings on the siix in me..
images

I love siix - gets me really worked up......

388150-2048x1367.jpg

Do I get the job Barry?

Last edited:

Daneel

Bench
I couldnt be bothered reading through this thread, but im guessing its about kiwis finding Jarryd hot.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well Bigfella named Gronk. Other than that I don't remember who said what around here, only what was said. Mostly I remember the general attitude in this place to particular topics.

So as far as I'm concerned, if one idiot poster said one thing, and another idiot poster says something contradictory, then you're all a bunch of fools and hypocrites.

That's how it works on Planet Poupou anyway.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Well Bigfella named Gronk. Other than that I don't remember who said what around here, only what was said. Mostly I remember the general attitude in this place to particular topics.

So as far as I'm concerned, if one idiot poster said one thing, and another idiot poster says something contradictory, then you're all a bunch of fools and hypocrites.

That's how it works on Planet Poupou anyway.

It's only idiots like us who spend time in these forums.
If we had any sense we'd be taking hard-drugs, smoking pot and getting pissed eating Maccas on the downer.

With this one, I'll stick up for Gronk - he had it out for SK for probably as long as I did
and I've not seen a post from Gronk giving it to Ricky Stuart....... yet.
If there is one please send me the link.

BennyBoy

Juniors
That's the point. All the merkins who death rode our previous coach are making excuses for our current one.
After reading back through all the old posts this is so true. It is quite funny reading many of the calls for love and unity now. :lol:

However, even allowing for the hypocrisy I feel both groups are somewhat correct, RS is no better than SK who was no better than DA who was the equal of MH, we still need a decent coach to get us out of this mess! :(

Pazza

First Grade
What i find amazing about this whole situation is that people think that we are one employment decision away from being a top 4 team. that if bennett, bellamy, hasler or macguire was our coach we wouldn't be anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

Simple fact is that this is going to be a few seasons in the making!

I expect us to do reasonable well next season but nothing is going to change over night. We unfortunately just dont have the cattle.

BennyBoy

Juniors
What i find amazing about this whole situation is that people think that we are one employment decision away from being a top 4 team. that if bennett, bellamy, hasler or macguire was our coach we wouldn't be anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

Simple fact is that this is going to be a few seasons in the making!

I expect us to do reasonable well next season but nothing is going to change over night. We unfortunately just dont have the cattle.
Never had the cattle last year, or the year before that either. That's the whole point, our recruitment has been pathetic for the last 6 years and hasn't improved this year either.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
For me it's obvious Ricky concentrated on getting a strong leader to lead our club and this he's now achieved with Jarryd Hayne. Also obvious was changing the culture and I feel recently Ricky turned the corner with this as well. We will see the benefits of my two points raised with our club becoming a top eight side next year. My confidence in Ricky Stuart has grown immensely, particularly over the past two weeks or so. The maturing of Jarryd Hayne as our leader on the field is massive for our club and when Jarryd permanently takes over the 6 role and not withstanding a terrible long-term injury, we'll become a serious premiership contender year after year at least until Jarryd retires. I'm not buying into Benny Boy's (and others) story-telling that Ricky has not recruited well for next year or that Ricky is no better a coach than SK.

Pazza

First Grade
Never had the cattle last year, or the year before that either. That's the whole point, our recruitment has been pathetic for the last 6 years and hasn't improved this year either.

This seasons roster is the worst I have seen as an eels fan! I'm sure Ricky would have loved to have Hindy, Burt, Poore etc on his roster.

Our recruitment has been lame in the past due to the constant changing of coaches. Every second year we recruit no one of note.

I have been impressed but Ricky's recruitment so far but far more impressed with his retention. We are holding onto the good ones for once. Especially guys like Loko, Tanginoa, Terepo and Jnr Paulo who are going to combine to make an impressive pack.