What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Riddell 'doing everything to help Smith'

GizLoki

Juniors
Club culture certainly seems to be an issue at the moment. Shame it had to come to all this for something to be done about it - but hey, lets focus on the positives.
- Timmy's problem has been acknowledged by himself, his mates, the club and the public at large.
- He's now receiving treatment
- The club have publicly acknowledged a club culture problem, and have stated that they will now address it
- There's a chance that all this drama will make other footy players (Parra or otherwise) and possibly even members of the public take a good long hard look at themselves.

I know alchohol is enjoyed responsibly by most in the community, however the people who abuse it cause so many problems in society. And if nothing else, it costs us - the taxpayers, millions.

Here's hoping Timmy can deal with his demons, recover and I really hope to see him in the Mighty Blue and Gold again !

Flame_Trees

Juniors
The guys 22 yrs old,if he wants to get on the drink it wont affect his footy, look at T Raudonikus,B smith,P sterling,and should i mention A Johns...all class half backs and all loved getting on the drink..its part of life and part of growing up...its also part of playing footy with your mates,T Smith has done nothing wrong really exept being his age & being in an environment that encourages bonding sessions..give the guy a break..
I grew up in footy clubs and its just part of the culture and the NRL is no different,its the sport,its the love of being with your mates and enjoying life..Ya can still play footy with a hangover,and at times you even play better...its all overreaction.. just think what youd have to complain about if mason was with the EELS.

rabbit4ever

Juniors
Flame_Trees said:
The guys 22 yrs old,if he wants to get on the drink it wont affect his footy, look at T Raudonikus,B smith,P sterling,and should i mention A Johns...all class half backs and all loved getting on the drink..its part of life and part of growing up...its also part of playing footy with your mates,T Smith has done nothing wrong really exept being his age & being in an environment that encourages bonding sessions..give the guy a break..
I grew up in footy clubs and its just part of the culture and the NRL is no different,its the sport,its the love of being with your mates and enjoying life..Ya can still play footy with a hangover,and at times you even play better...its all overreaction.. just think what youd have to complain about if mason was with the EELS.
Tim Smith is doing what 80% of other guys his age are doing and that is learning through life experiences, forget what team i support because that is neither here nor there, as a human being i hope that Tim learns from his mistakes and realises, before it's too late, that the demon drink can destroy the best of men time and time again. Use the God given talents you have got and steer clear of the grog Tim. Good luck son!!!

GizLoki

Juniors
rabbit4ever said:
Tim Smith is doing what 80% of other guys his age are doing and that is learning through life experiences, forget what team i support because that is neither here nor there, as a human being i hope that Tim learns from his mistakes and realises, before it's too late, that the demon drink can destroy the best of men time and time again. Use the God given talents you have got and steer clear of the grog Tim. Good luck son!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

....and women.

Nikki

Coach
bartman said:
On a side note, why does Tim have or need two managers? Unless Issac works for Riolo, and they were both needed for this significant meeting...

Yeah Issac works for Riolo. (Is it Riolo that owns Titan Management?).

On a side note, I am sure I have seen Issac out with the boys on occasion. Where do you draw the line between Manager and mate? Or is that how you drum up business these days :lol:

Bigfella

Coach
think people have only gone way overboard, because they too care about Tim's future outside of football, and also about ensuring the fabric of the club doesn't suffer unduly.

Everyone's got a different opinion on how best to support or help, some say leave them too it and drink on, some say reign it in a bit and get serious.

My concern with the statements in this article are that if Piggy etc will now do everything to help their mate, what exactly were they all doing for Tim before? Less than everything? I'm just glad Timmy is getting help from other quarters, because the support he was getting from his mates was obviously not helping him very much.

Beautifully put Bart.

I disagree with the poster above about Tim learning from mistakes. If anything, the closeness of this incident shows precisely how much he didn't learn from previous mistakes. Hoepfully he now will; but I can't say he has yet.

And Nikki makes a very pertinent point.

Some of these managers are grubs. They lead the party life with the client (look at some of the serial offenders and see how many have the same few managers) and teach their clients nothing. Stories abound about managers taking young players to brothels and doing drugs with them, especially when trying to get them to sign up.

Another interesting issue which came up with all of this would be the dynamic this situation has brought to the Inu negotiations. Does going soft on Timmy help us keep sweet with Inu's manager? (Waiting for Eelevation to rush in and decalre this is not a footy issue!)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
Beautifully put Bart.

I disagree with the poster above about Tim learning from mistakes. If anything, the closeness of this incident shows precisely how much he didn't learn from previous mistakes. Hoepfully he now will; but I can't say he has yet.

And Nikki makes a very pertinent point.

Some of these managers are grubs. They lead the party life with the client (look at some of the serial offenders and see how many have the same few managers) and teach their clients nothing. Stories abound about managers taking young players to brothels and doing drugs with them, especially when trying to get them to sign up.

Another interesting issue which came up with all of this would be the dynamic this situation has brought to the Inu negotiations. Does going soft on Timmy help us keep sweet with Inu's manager? (Waiting for Eelevation to rush in and decalre this is not a footy issue!)

we were told at the AGM yesterday that Termination papers were signed, sealed but were not delivered due to Riolo's claim that Tim had booked himself in a clinic that's what saved his career at Parra which in affect is still uncertain in many ways.

I don't believe it has nothing to do with who managers Tim...nothing at all and INU isn't going to be influenced by Moses who may have an issue regarding another client.

therefore I declare to all and sundry that it's no longer a footy issue ;-)

Bigfella

Coach
I'm sure that's probably right - I can't see anyone saying "Look mate, you owe us one".

But at some level it must have an impact; Moses will just lose some momentum in any negotitations, even if he doesn't realise it. Also, he knows that Parra are a club that will stand by its players if they stuff up.

Mind you, he doesn't have too much to worry about from that client; and also, the player himself took a lot of sting out of any negotiations with his recent comments in the paper!

Latest posts