What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rip Rip

boxa777

Coach
Start by sayin that this is a very serious issue.. ha.

As the army has rebuilt to pretty much dominating levels once again (thanks to Pete, Stel, Macca + Others), I notice one aspect of yesteryear hasn't returned and that is a shame.

The ripped paper was all the rage in the day and looked visually brilliant amongst the army. These days it's just not happening. I noticed it last week in Canberra and it took me back to all the days when I and others like Rich Gaye, Adam, Macca would bring bags and bags of the stuff to games. It really added to the spectacle of the entrance of the red V.

I might make the odd bag in the coming big games but I'd love to see more and more of the sh*t. Like snow falling amongst all the flags, signs and red Vs.

The finals are coming, can't wait.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
That's it, Tom.

There are a few in the Army who have young kids ... they could get the kids to do it for them, and save people the time.

Or, on a more serious note, we could get jpac to make about 50 bags of it ... he's obviously got a hell of a lot of free time on his hands, and he stands at the back of the Army so it would be practical as the wind can blow the torn-up newspaper down to the front!

So get cracking jpac, you lazy scumbag!

cleary89

Coach
I've been taking my little cousin to all the games. Lived in Newcastle his whole life, so its been hard to convert him. Wants to stand with the army this weekend, and was asking for ideas for a saints banner so think I might have finally got him. I'll get him to do it.

boxa777

Coach
just ripped up newspaper put into a bag and then thrown when we run on?

That's pretty much it mate. I use to pay my little sister below minimum wage to rip it up but she's too smart these days unfortunately.

Only slight issue is that some grounds' security when they check your bags may take it off you knowing that you're about to make one big f**kin mess but most miss it.

Adam Nitro use to have a great trick. He'd bring it all in via pillow cases. Looks like an ordinary pillow? Wrong. Shredded paper for most of the bay inside.

STG-MACCA

Bench
SaintTPP took a few bags of it to Canberra.
She has been cutting up for weeks already.

I used to collect phone books and save them up for the finals. Always took as much as I could cut in the weeks leading into a big match.

SaintTPP

First Grade
well i love the cut up paper! I found 2 bags of it from other finals series in a draw in my room...obviouslw leaving it for a big game we never got to :-(. I started cutting some more to fill them up a bit but not as macca thinks unfortunately lol, i dont have any for newcartle game done but will try add to it some more. I think i can get some already cut up white paper so see how that goes. I really wanto get red and white but not sure where or how?

Last edited:

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Red paper would be too expensive to purchase just for the purpose of cutting it up and throwing it out at games, I think.

I would probably say that just white paper, and newspaper too, would be sufficient ...

Then we just need to add a heap of red and white streamers being thrown in the air, and the effect is perfect.

Streamers + torn up paper === AWESOME

STG-MACCA

Bench
Can be sourced pre cut from China lol, they can make you anything you want, and you just turn up and throw it, however it's how much of the sh*t you need to purchase to get it hahahaha

I think my neighbours wouldn't appreciate a shipping container out the front for a few seasons :D

These are the sh*t

cleary89

Coach
Red paper would be too expensive to purchase just for the purpose of cutting it up and throwing it out at games, I think.

I would probably say that just white paper, and newspaper too, would be sufficient ...

Then we just need to add a heap of red and white streamers being thrown in the air, and the effect is perfect.

Streamers + torn up paper === AWESOME

would crepe paper work? Would be pretty cheap to get some red crepe paper yeh? And also pretty easy to cut up.

STG-MACCA

Bench
It does work, but one packet doesn't go far and when you see how much you need to make the slightest impact, you would need to get heaps of it.

The Major

Bench
My two girls and Scuba Steves kids love ripping up the paper before the games and collecting them during the games much to the dismay of some of the older folks sitting in front of the army. AJ was 'the man' with the ripped up paper at most of our games circa 2007-2008 prior to him moving out of Sydney. How many bags have you had confiscated AJ?? Pahlenty i bet. Macca, them confetti machines look unreal. Id tip in some coin for a couple of them for sure. I think some red and perhaps silver/white shiny confetti would look awesome in the air also, moreso for night games. I agree with Boxas sentiments. One thing we need to breathe some life back into indeed. Hardest part is finding people to collect and chuck up the stuff as the vast majority of people in and amongst the army are either holding up banners or waving flags at that crucial moment when the confetti should be let loose.

Last edited:
My two girls and Scuba Steves kids love ripping up the paper before the games and collecting them during the games much to the dismay of some of the older folks sitting in front of the army. AJ was the man with the ripped up paper at most of our games prior to him moving out of Sydney. How many bags have you had confiscated AJ?? Pahlenty i bet. Macca, them confetti machines look unreal. Id tip in some coin for a couple of them for sure. I think some red and perhaps silver/white shiny confetti would look awesome in the air also, moreso for night games. I agree with Boxas sentiments. One thing we need to breathe some life back into indeed. Hardest part is finding people to collect and chuck up the stuff as the vast majority of people in and amongst the army are either holding up banners or waving flags at that crucial moment when the confetti should be let loose.

I agree with what you said RE people holding up their own things...maybe the newspaper/confetti needs to be done during the game cos then people generally have their hands free

Doug2234

First Grade
surely you wouldn't be able to get those confetti machines into games would you? Classified as cannons??

STG-MACCA

Bench
People need to improvise

I have 'seen' 200 Cash register rolls, helium tanks, fire extinguishers, fireworks, all make it into matches.

As for holding a flag or a sign and not being able to throw paper........ pfffft, you gotta try harder!!!!

boxa777

Coach
Hardest part is finding people to collect and chuck up the stuff as the vast majority of people in and amongst the army are either holding up banners or waving flags at that crucial moment when the confetti should be let loose.

Point taken there mate but what I use to do was place the torn paper on my sign which served as a stretcher holding the paper. Once the boys came in, up went the sign throwin the paper skywards.

White hole-punch confetti is the sh*t also. I use to get my supplies from the Party People in Sans Souci and I'll be payin that bad boy a little visit at some point soon. On occasions you'd be finding confetti on you weeks after the event.

Latest posts