What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News RiP Tommy Raudonikis

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

Willie Ray

Bench
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but Tommy would always tell the story about how he tossed Turvey’s bag straight out the window in origin camp because he tried to claim the big bed.
Pretty sure he added...."And put the kettle on son and make me a cup of tea."
Tommy had a million stories...all of 'em good.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Although Tommy is strongly associated with NSW, he pretty easily and quickly made friends in Queensland, and will forever have a place in the games history there also. Coached Ipswich to a GF not long after their introduction to the BRL, and was strongly associated with the Norths club.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a bad word to say about the bloke.

Reminiscing with colleagues today, one of them had a great Tommy story. A friend of one the blokes I work with came across an old Wests jersey, or a retro make. He wanted to get Tommy to sign the jersey.

After a few beers, he and his mates thought 'why don't we try the phone book'. Sure enough there was a listing for a T. Raudonikis, and they gave him a call. Tommy took the call and a was glad to chat. When asked about signing the jersey Tommy said "yeah mate just come down to such and such hotel this Saturday, I'll be havin a punt".

They went down to that pub, he signed the jersey and they all shared a few beers and Saturday on the punt.

He was that kind of bloke.

I would have Tommy over anyone else in the game in my team. Wasn't in it to make a buck like the players today, loved the game and succeeded at every level, all in the hardest era. A proper champion
That's what makes him so legendary. He lived and breathed RL, caring more about his teammates and club than his own health. Sport is at its best when it's played for pride and love of the game. Fans can relate to a team that fights tooth and nail to win. Professionalism has killed that side of sport. Players are just businessmen these days who couldn't give a f**k about the final result.
Broncos last year and Cowboys this year prove players these days only care about the money and couldn't give a shit about the scoreboard.

KennySterling

Juniors
That's what makes him so legendary. He lived and breathed RL, caring more about his teammates and club than his own health. Sport is at its best when it's played for pride and love of the game. Fans can relate to a team that fights tooth and nail to win. Professionalism has killed that side of sport. Players are just businessmen these days who couldn't give a f**k about the final result.
Broncos last year and Cowboys this year prove players these days only care about the money and couldn't give a shit about the scoreboard.

Great post. I concur.

GongPanther

Referee
Many beers at the Lidcombe Hotel before and after many Maggies games at the Lidcombe Oval down the road, to the times he used to terrorise other teams in test matches.

The last game I went to see Tommy was at the SCG 40 years ago when Newtown bt Easts in the 1981 prelim-final to play Parra in the GF.

R.I.P. Tommy, and thanks for the many memories.

Chimp

Bench
A true mark of the man and his standing both in the game and as a good man is how he’s remembered by fans of all teams. I don’t think there’s many blokes out there where no fans from any teams, even their most bitter rivals have a bad word to say on them.
Tommy is loved by rugby league fans of all teams, all states, regardless of rivalries. His honesty and integrity shine through - he is who he is, no apologies, no front, just Tommy... Legend

Pretty sure he added...."And put the kettle on son and make me a cup of tea."
Tommy had a million stories...all of 'em good.

Old "Hanky Head" detailed the full story in an article published in today's Sydney Morning Herald (source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...of-the-raudonikis-legend-20210407-p57h56.html) -

It was 1977 or thereabouts, just prior to the NSW vs Queensland match in Brisbane and Tommy was in a foul mood. Those mongrels. Fancy trying to put him in the same room as that young kid Steve Mortimer, the same kid who was trying to beat him out for his halfback spot.

It was insane, crazy, dangerous. And Tommy was in no mood for it.

Then, to top it all, “bugger him” if when they got to the room, Mortimer had the bloody “balls” to throw his kit on the double bed, as if he was going to sleep there and Tommy could have the single one.

Vesuvius should be so spectacular in its explosion.

“Listen,” Tommy said, “You’re not f---ing state halfback yet, son. Bloody well back off. I’ll take the double bed.”

09431cc51a8bac9ff19dccea63d610dfb5e2f557

Those were the days: Tom Raudonikis and Steve Mortimer in 1981.CREDIT:FAIRFAX MEDIA

And with that, Raudonikis picked up Mortimer’s bag, opened the window, and threw it outside to the street six floors below. He waited for it to hit, bursting on the pavement with an appropriate explosion of clothes, underpants and effects, and then turned back to the youngster.

Mortimer, stunned, as Tommy tells it, was still groping for an appropriate comeback when the senior halfback followed up with his best shot.

“And if you still want to go on with it, I’ll shit in your bed, you know I will, and then we’ll see if you want to sleep there.”

Raudonikis got the bed, Mortimer went to get his stuff from downstairs, and the memory of the incident still has power to please all these years later.

“I got him, right there, I got him,” chortles Raudonikis, taking another long drag on his ever-present cigarette. “It took him about another three years to come back from that, to really challenge me for the spot again, and by then I was ready to leave.”