What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP

tonton

Juniors
I enjoyed watching him play cricket in the '80s.

God bless.

And f**k the bouncer who did this - hard.

Anonymous

Juniors
RIP Hooksey.

And to think Victorian Cricket was well on its way to a period of domiance due to this guy.

I also feel for the Victorian players especially the younger ones, who now have to finish the season with out their main man.

aphelion

Juniors
It's a sad day for cricket and Australia in general.

That egomaniacal steroid-pumped bouncer will no doubt get what's coming to him, one way or another.

RIP Hooksey.

P.S No sig this time, out of respect.

gotsome72

Juniors
RIP Hookesy

Rotten way to go, should never have happened. My thoughts are to his family and his friends.

I loved his colourful commentry on radio and on Fox, sad day for family and cricket.

Nothing wrong with speaking your mind and the aussie way of getting a bite from a remark....

RIP Hooksey :(

Terminator

First Grade
Goodbye Hooksey, you were a shining light in Australian sporting
history and a man I looked up to and loved, rest in peace.

RIP hookesy

I think we have to remember he was an outspoken lad, who knows if it was as one sided as is being reported in the media.

I hope the facts come out no matter what they are, but most importantly best wishes to his family.

OVP

Coach
To a man who thrilled me when i was a kid, just by simply watching him destroy bowling attacks the world over, i can only say RIP and thank you for the joy you gave me as a kid.

Its no wonder why i love guys like Dougie Walters, Michael Slater, Adam Gilchrist, Lance Cairns, Chris Cairns, Rod Marsh, Roy Fredericks, Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, Krishnamachari Srikkanth etc etc. All these guys "had a go", just like David Hookes, my original hero as a kid.

You will be sorely missed, but you will be forever loved, David.

RIP

To the slime who did this ... may you burn on the fires of Hades for ALL ETERNITY. People like me WILL HUNT YOU DOWN !!

Le Rouge

Juniors
what a terrible way to go, very unfortunate :(

a great man who's life has been taken from him in a tragic situation that should'nt have happened.

here's to Hooksey and regards to his family.

1901_hookes5.jpg

dimitri

First Grade
i always hated the guy after his comments about league and the storm

but i feel sorry for his family

RIP

PB

Bench
Its crazy when something like this happens!. A person who you look at as being imortal, to be killed in a way that could happen to any one of us. Really makes you stop and think about how you live.

Whilst "Hooksey" was taken from this world far too early, thankfully it wasnt before he was able to leave so many of us with so many wonderful sporting memories through out the 70's, 80's and early 90's with his swashbuckling style.

After his career, he was very outspoken, but he kept it to topics and issues where he knew what he was talking about, something many sports identities who gain positions in the media could learn alot from.

May your family, friends and colleagues gain strength and prosper from the memories and knowledge you have left with them David William Hookes.

:cry:

The Colonel

Immortal
Never agreed with a lot of what he had to say as a commentator, but then if we agreed with everything people said the world would be a boring place. Thanks Hookesy for making life colourful........

Doctor

Bench
David Hookes will be missed by many. Whether I agreed with him or not about cricketing matters is completely separate to rememberance of him as a human being.

No man deserves to be assaulted and left to die by the assailant - if that isn't classified as intent then there is something terribly wrong with the system put in place to protect the victim and prosecute the perpetrator.

Hookes was opinionated, hardened and had many people in constant disagreeance with him - but mostly this was about trivial cricketing matters. I for one feel Australian cricket and indeed Australia has lost a great cricketing mind, a talented sportsman and a decent fellow who liked to stretch other people's opinions to test them out.

Whether or not he was a "great bloke", "larikan" or "cricketing great" is irrelevant - the point is that we have lost a man who should have had years to live. A needless and shameless act of stupidity, but more than that - a pathetic act by a pathetic perpetrator who acted before he thought about the consequences.

I hope that the Hookes family and friends get comfort from a justice system that simply has to work in this case.

A sad day for cricket, and my thoughts go out to David Hookes' family and friends in such a difficult time.

Azkatro

First Grade
This is no way for a champion like Hookesy to be taken away from us. I was looking forward to years of watching him on Inside Cricket with his outspoken words. Just a senseless tragedy and I hope that the man responsible gets his dues.

Long live the memory of David Hookes.

Earl said:
RIP Hooksey.

And to think Victorian Cricket was well on its way to a period of domiance due to this guy.

I also feel for the Victorian players especially the younger ones, who now have to finish the season with out their main man.

That's two coaches some of those young blokes have lost now. Scholesy in July last year as well.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Its such a tragedy to go out like that, he will be missed, my thoughts go to the Hookes' family. To all of us it was a shock, its a sad day for cricket.

Whether you love him or hate him, David Hookes was a good bloke, an entertaining cricketer, if it werent for Hookes, the Vics would still be easybeats in the Pura Cup. That victory over NSW has certainly showed what a great side they are, and it would be such a good feeling if they were to continue this dominance and win the Pura Cup.

Hookes will be mostly remembered for his debut test match, where he scored 56 and hit those amazing fours in one over off Tony Greig's bowling. Then the record 100 he scored for SA off 34 balls. I enjoyed him as a commentator on Fox Sports and Inside Cricket. But its such a tragedy to see him go. :cry:

RIP David Hookes

I was privileged enough to have seen a lot of Hookesy from the outer at Adelaide oval as a young fella and witnessed someone who could take an attack apart like few others in the Australian game in the 80's.
I also met him a few times during coaching clinics and sessions at Adelaide oval when I was about 13 and had lofty ambitions.
I also played alot of cricket with and against a nephew of his so I am thinking a lot of him at this time also.

48 is way too young to go, regardless of circumstances. The full story will come out soon enough. I heard he also had a heart attack after the incident which is what would have actually killed him. the debate will wage on for a time...all I know is the guy that hit him would feel rightfully as low as whale shit right now and would be well advised to get a decent lawyer.

Latest posts