What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rising Rabbitohs star Kirisome Auva'a in court after bashing a woman after a wedding

Allo

Juniors
if he attempts to redeem and improve himself?

I saw a dude who has some major anger management issues. If you think this guy has redeemed and improved himself, I'd hate to have seen him before.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Role models come in many different forms.

A bloke who makes a mistake in life, does his time, gets up and dusts himself off and goes again can be just as much a role model as a complete clean skin.

Look at Manu Ma'u. He is a perfect example.

i really think you are missing the bigger picture here.

ma'u was gang fight related.. man vs man (or, men vs men..)

i take a big stance towards violence against women.

please show me someone who has beaten up a woman but then gone on to be a 'role model' to others..

MarkC

Juniors
I think he was very lucky to play in the GF last year.

The fact that he has done that, and is now back on deck at the business end of this year, means he hasn't served a full 12 months.

He should have had to sit the whole of this season out.

He should not have been able to play footy at any level this year.

Had he done that, I would say he has served his time.

What happens if Souths win the GF this year, playing in consecutive GF wins does not seem like a penalty to me.

Perhaps the horse has bolted on this case, but lets get the penalty right next time, and send a strong message.

i really think you are missing the bigger picture here.

ma'u was gang fight related.. man vs man (or, men vs men..)

i take a big stance towards violence against women.

please show me someone who has beaten up a woman but then gone on to be a 'role model' to others..

Sean Connery is one who comes to mind. Sean Penn was also convicted of beating up Madonna when they were married. Both of those guys are reformed and seen as role models.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i don't know if i'd consider either of those two as "role models".......?

txta2

First Grade
This bloke is the new Hodges/Slater/Mataii rolled into one. Dead set shit human.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Why the double standard muz? Violence is violence. Why should it be ok if the victim is a man, but an unforgiveable sin if the victim is a woman?

The double standard against men hitting women really grinds my gears and legally it should have the same ramifications but morally a man hitting a woman is much worse then the opposite.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Football players are professional athletes not role models you wanker
rubbish.

kids look up to these guys, idolise them, pretend they are them when playing footy with their mates..

like it or not, they are role models and their behaviour gets replicated by those who look up to them..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Why the double standard muz? Violence is violence. Why should it be ok if the victim is a man, but an unforgiveable sin if the victim is a woman?
morals... You don't physically damage those weaker than you.. It's bullying..

drake

First Grade
I agree mate, but physically damaging someone who won't fight back due to an idea of chivalry is cowardly too.
Been on the receiving end of a violent woman and it's not fun. Especially when you know how easy you could stop it but you can't.

Essentially, no matter what's between your legs, don't be a shit merkin.

Ziggy the God

First Grade

Yeah, belting a guy and stomping on his head is fine.

Been to jail, no problem, the Dragons will sign you.

Maybe you can give him a few all you can eat vouchers at Sizzlers.

He will fit in well at your club.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I don't really care about his prior convictions as he has served his time and at least deserves a chance to resume his working life.

My problem (or annoyance) with him is that he acts like a tough merkin all the time, can cop hodges and Matai etc doing it as they are established players with runs on the board, this bloke just goes OTT

beave

Coach
rubbish.

kids look up to these guys, idolise them, pretend they are them when playing footy with their mates..

like it or not, they are role models and their behaviour gets replicated by those who look up to them..

I think any parent who lets their kid have a football player as their 'role model' has rocks in their head.

Football players should be looked at as 'heroes' and nothing more, not someone whom they should be basing their morals or outlook on life on.

At the end of the day, a football player is just a fit meat head with a high pain threshold.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yeah, belting a guy and stomping on his head is fine.

Been to jail, no problem, the Dragons will sign you.

Maybe you can give him a few all you can eat vouchers at Sizzlers.

He will fit in well at your club.

pretty amusing how you once again believe this is just people having a go at your club..

my stance towards violence against women is exactly the same towards avua'a as it is against fonua-blake.. The dragons guy who we sacked this year for a similar act..

but hey, what better way to pick in souths than to use domestic violence as the vehicle..

you Muppet..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think any parent who lets their kid have a football player as their 'role model' has rocks in their head.

Football players should be looked at as 'heroes' and nothing more, not someone whom they should be basing their morals or outlook on life on.

At the end of the day, a football player is just a fit meat head with a high pain threshold.
heroes are role models..

beave

Coach
I disagree mate, they should be someone to be admired for their football abilities only. That's my take on it anyways.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I disagree mate, they should be someone they admire for their football abilities only. That's my take on it anyways.

in a perfect world, yes.. it would be great to have a kid idolise a avua'a for his footy skills.. tiger woods for his golfing ability and lance armstrong for being a great cyclist, whist also picking up on bill clinton's negotiation and political skills and adapting those into their own lives..

but essentially they are all flawed human beings who have been elevated to a status in society based on one particular asset..

and it's impossible to say to a kid to look at someone and just pick one asset of theirs to focus on.. kids look up at someone, and model their behaviour on what they see..

it's why (generally) cheating husbands had a father who cheated.. wife beaters saw their fathers beat up their mothers..

i say generally as there are exceptions, but overall there is a pattern of child see, child do.

which is why i get so frustrated when people believe that sports stars aren't role models.. yes, they don't set out to be a role model, but at the end of the day who does? nobody sits there and thinks "hmm.. i want to be someone who others aspire to be. how can i go about being the best i can be at doing that?"

anyone who has a role model of any sort admires them for one or two traits that they find attractive to who they aspire to be, and start acting in a similar manner, picking up the good traits with the bad..

children see their sports stars, admire them for what they do on the field and go from there.. so if they see a sports star treating a woman badly, consciously or unconsciously they will adapt this behaviour themselves.. particularly in a society where there are more and more broken families, leaving fewer strong male role models (in the form of fathers, again not all dads are ideal role models, but still it's 'something' for the kids to anchor themselves to) so they'll pick up on others around them..

such as sports stars..

because.. they're kids.. it's bloody hard to say to them: "so, you like todd carney? yes, he's a great footballer, let's get his number on the back of your jersey.. just focus only on his football skills.. don't mind the fact he drunk drove, ditched a mate, set a guys pants on fire, pissed in his own mouth, took nude selfies.. just focus on the footy and emulate that"