What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF Showdown could lead to breakaway Tests

Springs09

Juniors
Hopefully 2019 will look something like:

Mid-season:
England v NZ - Denver
PNG v Fiji - Port Moresby
Tonga v Samoa - Auckland

Post-Season
Week 1
9s World Cup

Week 2
NZ v Australia - Wellington
GB v PNG - Port Moresby
Samoa v Fiji - Apia

Week 3
NZ v Tonga - Auckland
Australia v Fiji - Newcastle
GB v Samoa - Sydney

Week 4
GB v Tonga - Hamilton
NZ v PNG - Whangerei
Australia v Samoa - Perth

Week 5
GB v NZ - Dunedin
Tonga v Fiji - Suva
PNG v Samoa - Port Moresby

Week 6
GB v Australia - Brisbane
NZ v Fiji - Christchurch
Tonga v PNG - Rotorua

Week 7
GB v Australia - Melbourne
NZ v Samoa - Auckland

Week 8
GB v Australia - Sydney
Pacific Championship Final - Auckland

roughyedspud

Coach
They need to swap 2019 & 2020 around for nz & pacific nations..

2019 should be nz arranging tests against pacific nations.

2020 pacific cup,that then syncs it up with the European Cup,hold it every 2 years like the European Cup,and it provides a good lead into a world cup,2020 into the 2021 RLWC & 2024 into the 2025 RLWC

roughyedspud

Coach
Hopefully 2019 will look something like:

Mid-season:
England v NZ - Denver
PNG v Fiji - Port Moresby
Tonga v Samoa - Auckland

Post-Season
Week 1
9s World Cup

Week 2
NZ v Australia - Wellington
GB v PNG - Port Moresby
Samoa v Fiji - Apia

Week 3
NZ v Tonga - Auckland
Australia v Fiji - Newcastle
GB v Samoa - Sydney

Week 4
GB v Tonga - Hamilton
NZ v PNG - Whangerei
Australia v Samoa - Perth

Week 5
GB v NZ - Dunedin
Tonga v Fiji - Suva
PNG v Samoa - Port Moresby

Week 6
GB v Australia - Brisbane
NZ v Fiji - Christchurch
Tonga v PNG - Rotorua

Week 7
GB v Australia - Melbourne
NZ v Samoa - Auckland

Week 8
GB v Australia - Sydney
Pacific Championship Final - Auckland

I can tell you now,for nothing...GB will not be playing 7 games...it'll be 4 minimum,5 max

Burns

First Grade
Ohhhh so Aus tour of GB in 2020 doesn’t necessarily mean they will play GB. Good.

NRL article that has gone up says that’s GB will play Australia, New Zealand, PNG and maybe one more Pacific Nation.

Springs09

Juniors
I can tell you now,for nothing...GB will not be playing 7 games...it'll be 4 minimum,5 max

Yeah that's not a scoop. The Kangaroo Tour will likely be 3 tests and a game against France, if we're lucky.

There really is no point of bringing back tours if they are only going to play as many games a a Four Nations.

roughyedspud

Coach
No no I can live with tours as long as the RLIF get that extra global event...which is what the world 9s is but it was supposed to be the 8 team confed cup replacing the 4 nations...that was the deal the ARLC,NZRL & RFL struck with the RLIF..tours 2 years out of 4 and 'RLIF events' the other 2 years..

But I honestly believe the RLIF had to can the confed cup cos they couldn't count on the Aussie's & RLPA support...so a weekend 9s was the compromise.

Last Week

Bench
Dude...it's really simple..when nz or of "tour the UK/Europe" it's not to play GB! It'll be games against ENGLAND and other nations..

The statement is very clear that GB will tour the southern hemisphere in 2019 & 2024.

Ugh. So Great Britain has literally only been brought back to appease Australia.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
They need to swap 2019 & 2020 around for nz & pacific nations..

2019 should be nz arranging tests against pacific nations.

2020 pacific cup,that then syncs it up with the European Cup,hold it every 2 years like the European Cup,and it provides a good lead into a world cup,2020 into the 2021 RLWC & 2024 into the 2025 RLWC
This makes total sense … which is of course why the RLIF, NRL, ARLC, RFL, NZRL etc can't see it !

Springs09

Juniors
This makes total sense … which is of course why the RLIF, NRL, ARLC, RFL, NZRL etc can't see it !

I can't see why NZ can't be in a Pacific tournament in both years. Otherwise I don't see what they are going to do in the other year?

If they aren't in the Pacific tournament in 2019 they'll play Australia once and GB once and maybe another one-off.

If they aren't in the Pacific tournament in 2020 they'll play Australia once and then...have a 'year off' like Australia is doing this year?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Why can't we have these tours to the UK

2018 - NZ tour

2019 - 2 or 3 Pacific Islands go to UK for 1 or 2 tests each

2020 - Australia tour

2021 - World Cup

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Reducing the influence of the ARL, RFL and NZRL is inevitable for the game to grow so I'm ok with it. If the RLIF find themselves in a position (at least in the short-term) where they are organising regular tournaments for the Pacific Nations and Euro Nations minus Australia, New Zealand and England then so be it because the international calendar should benefit as many nations as possible.

Let's face it the big 3 will always turn up to a world cup and most likely the new 4 / 6 nations / confed cup (whatever they are going to call it) tournaments at as close to full strength as possible so it won't damage the major money making RLIF properties.

Latest posts