What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC 2021 confirmed for 15 Oct - 19 Nov 2022

Matua

Bench
There will still be plenty of players. They may not always beat Australia but they will be competitive. People will still migrate from the islands.
The strength of the recent Tongan team has not been people from the Islands, it's been primarily made up of NZ and Oz born players. The 2017 team only had four players born on the island. I think that had been reduced down to one for the 2019 team (ironically the one with a non Tongan name - Konrad Hurrell).

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yes mate I know that...I was referring to people migrating from the islands and their kids taking up the game in Australia and NZ.

Matua

Bench
Yes mate I know that...I was referring to people migrating from the islands and their kids taking up the game in Australia and NZ.
The numbers really aren't as high as you think they are - there's only about 10k Tongan born in Oz, and 30k odd total. There's not enough coming in to create and keep a large enough pool of players going forward. Especially once the Taumalolo's, Fifita's and Taukeiaho's are gone and they draw ofTonga isn't as strong.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Never mind that, announce the 2025 one in South of France so I can start planning my holiday tour :)
With Dragons doing well, Toulouse hopefully entering SL next year, a RLWC could give the game in France a good boost.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Watching the Magic weekend games at St.James' Park couldn't help but think how good it will be in the opening WC game with 40,000 plus in there watching England and a strong Samoan team. Will be fantastic atmosphere and game.