What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC - Getting Smaller !!!

BJW#84

Juniors
SteveM said:
The last RLWC has 16 teams. Why are there only 10 this time round ?. The papers and public are going to pick up on this and really pull the piss.
Scores of 110-4, 90-6 etc which eat into the credibility of the competition. I'm sure everyone saw the response to the union WC when Australia won 145-0 or similar.

Also, the cost involved in getting another 6 nations over to Australia is extreme. We need to build up to 16 teams, not get over excited and have massive losses again. I'm happy as with 10, I'd be happy with 6 if it meant a profitable and competitive competition. We need profits so that the other nations can be supported. We can't blow millions of dollars on the WC in 2008 or we won't see another World Cup for 10 years.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
bowes said:
The length was nothing whatsoever in any way shape or form due to the inclusion of minnows. It was entirely due to the drawn out Super 8 stage

Nothing whatsoever in any way shape OR form?

There are 8 genuine teams (taking out Zimbabwe and Bangladesh). Go straight into the super 8's, top 4 into semi finals. Cuts out the entire pool process which was ONLY required to accompany the minnows.

The Super 8 felt drawn out because the inclusion of Bangladesh and Ireland made the concept a formality A super 8 with 8 genuine teams starting on equal footing wouldn't be drawn out.