What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 2 V Gold Coast will be MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

spider

Coach
beekershark said:
I believe you belive wrong Spider, but time will tell. Obviously plans can change , but at the moment it is scheduled for MOnday night.

It is envisaged for Monday night but the NRL have not confirmed due to schedule choice - Fox and Ch 9.

The football club still waiting for confirmation - as per the CEO today.

That was as at this afternoon.

But yes i received the same info re sponsorship and if it is Monday night they will cancel it as the sponsor's trip.

Macca

Coach
beekershark said:
I believe you belive wrong Spider, but time will tell. Obviously plans can change , but at the moment it is scheduled for MOnday night.

Yes Macca, directly over a beer. He's excited by our pending visit :)

Noice!

imasharkie

Coach
beekershark said:
There is a discussion thread in the CSSC forum where I have released this information, but for all Sharks fans who are thinking of travelling to the Gold Coast to watch the sharkies play their first game V the titans and to see Mat Rogers turn out against the Sharkies for the first time:oops: the game will be a Monday Night Channel 9 game.

OH NO and f*ck me fatale.

I've already booked and paid for Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights.

Stupid damn NRL.

beekershark

Bench
SpiderShark said:

But yes i received the same info re sponsorship and if it is Monday night they will cancel it as the sponsor's trip.

You recieved the same info spider ? the good oil that the sponsors trip is to the gold coast ?

ali

Bench
jc155776 said:
I thought Monday Nioght football was still going to be on Fox though??

It is on Fox. Meant to be the third ranked game of the round after the two Friday games.

I think Monday night football is another stupid idea of pandering to TV ahead of the fans who make an effort to attend games.

spider

Coach
beekershark said:
You recieved the same info spider ? the good oil that the sponsors trip is to the gold coast ?

Yes mate. Has been that game they wanted - but Monday night will have it cancelled.

BrisVegas

Juniors
SpiderShark said:
Nothing in concrete about this time slot yet JC.

How it works in 2007 will be -

Ch 9 get first pick - Friday 7.30 live game/ Sunday 4pm replay

Fox pick Saturday 5.30 game/ Monday night game

Ch 9 pick replay game Friday night, and so on.

So it will be in the balance - but in the pecking order its a good chance we will be the Monday night game.
That isn't quite right. Here is how it actually works:

Pick 1: Channel 9 chooses a Friday Night Game - 7:30pm kickoff

Pick 2: Channel 9 chooses their Sunday Afternoon Game - Broadcast 4:00pm

Pick 3: FOX Sports chooses the Monday Night Football Game

Pick 4: Channel 9 chooses a Friday Night Game - 7:30pm kickoff

Picks 5 - 8: FOX Sports and the NRL decided which game gets the live Sunday afternoon 2:00pm slot on FOX Sports, and the remaining 3 games are on FOX Sports Super Saturday, a game live at 5:30pm, 7:30pm, and a 7:30 game delayed untill 9:20pm.

Both Friday Night games (Channel 9 picks 1 & 4) kickoff at 7:30pm and Channel 9 can choose to broadcast different games live into the various states,

eg Round 1

- QLD will get Broncos Vs Cowboys live at 7:30pm and Tigers Vs Storm delayed at 9:30pm.

- NSW will get Tigers Vs Storm live at 7:30pm and Broncos Vs Cowboys delayed at 9:30pm.

- VIC will get Tigers Vs Storm live at 7:30pm. It is unknown if they will get Broncos Vs Cowboys on delay on Channel 9, or have to wait for FOX Sports to broadcast it.

Expect Channel 9 to attempt to schedule a QLD team to play on Friday Night whenever possible, so they can broadcast that game live in QLD for better ratings. If the Storm rate well in Melbourne on Friday nights expect channel 9 to schedule them games on that night when possible.

Channel 9 can also broadcast 1 of the FOX Sports games into QLD at 8:30pm for $100,000, they usually do this for the Broncos Saturday night games, but it is also possible for the Titans and Cowboys.

spider

Coach
Thanks mate. As i said what i thought was not concrete but something along those lines.

If the Broncos receive a Sunday game - is their game up there always the Sunday game on Ch 9?

Also, have you heard any feedback on there being a balance with teams receiving their share of the Monday night allocation?

BrisVegas

Juniors
SpiderShark said:
Thanks mate. As i said what i thought was not concrete but something along those lines.

If the Broncos receive a Sunday game - is their game up there always the Sunday game on Ch 9?

Also, have you heard any feedback on there being a balance with teams receiving their share of the Monday night allocation?

If the Broncos play on Sunday afternoon they are always broadcast by Channel 9 in Brisbane but not regional QLD. It's quite annoying as you then have to wait for FOX Sports to replay the game Channel 9 show on Sunday afternoon is NSW.

Nothing has been said about the allocation of games, the Cowboys asked for an exemption from having to play home Monday Night games as their supporters often have to travel for hours to get to their matches, but the NRL refused. I'd guess that whatever game of the 6 remaining would get the highest ratings will be the Monday Night game.

spider

Coach
BrisVegas said:
Nothing has been said about the allocation of games, the Cowboys asked for an exemption from having to play home Monday Night games as their supporters often have to travel for hours to get to their matches, but the NRL refused. I'd guess that whatever game of the 6 remaining would get the highest ratings will be the Monday Night game.

May have to do with the NRL attempting to keep an even balance between all teams for the Monday night allocation.

I heard talk they were even going to attempt to put a cap on how many of these games a team received to keep it fair to all in the competition.

But i see that as upsetting the broadcast companies.

jc155776

Coach
A night at the football here is a a big family affair OR an excuse to get rotten drunk.

If they choose to give the Cowboys Monday night home games crowds will be down 10k in some cases I fear.

Should have saved Monday nighrs for tewams that cant draw crowds like I said earlier...

Macca

Coach
MNF is great for the TV audience but crap for the punters that like a couple before, a couple during, and a couple after.

What about teams that have to play Monday then back up on the Friday?

. . . and now we'll have to wait til Tuesday to get our updated ladder, tipping results, dream team stats etc . . . I don't think it's needed.

newman

First Grade
I think MOnday night Football is a joke.

I want my footy to be synonymous with pubs, nights outs, meals with friends, drunkeness and late night dancing. Ill probably drag my arse down to any home game on a Monday, but I certainly wont be happy about it. Much rather to be going to the footy on the w/e.

Monday nights are for me synonomous with early nights and grumbling about the week ahead.

SharkWings

Juniors
Macca said:
MNF is great for the TV audience but crap for the punters that like a couple before, a couple during, and a couple after.

What about teams that have to play Monday then back up on the Friday?

. . . and now we'll have to wait til Tuesday to get our updated ladder, tipping results, dream team stats etc . . . I don't think it's needed.

One of the good things is you only have to wait 3 days max for the next game!

beekershark

Bench
I love the idea of monday night footy to be honest. Not everyone does as newman points out. but as spider says, its another night that footy is on ! its why everyone loves origin so much, wednesday night out at the pub watching footy. I'll love being at the local on monday nights ( which is roast night at the pub too :) ) having a beer and watching the footy. Extends the weekend of league IMO.

Also, people who work weekends, sat nights, ie hotel workers, shift workers , barmen etc may be able to get to the game for a change.

Latest posts