What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 6 vs Tigers

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I saw pics the boys training during the week on Facebook and Jack Bird was in a few so looks like he may have overcome his injury.

Big game this one as they have Warriors, Roosters and Sharks (away) next which will be hard games and potentially go 5 straight losses in a row of the lose to the Tigers. Winning this game at least gives them some small buffer over the Dogs, Eels, Souths and Titans who are a chance of losing the next few games.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Question for the forum, if we win against Tigers and are 3-3 after 6 weeks, will you be satisfied with the first quarter of the season?
I’d be pretty happy with that this year, winning 50% of our games consistently throughout the year would be a solid pass mark given all the circumstances.
Anyway, thinking of heading out to Campbelltown for this one, never been to that ground, or not since the 1980s at least.
On the face of it, 3-3 is around what I hoped, probably better really. But it's hard to take satisfaction when our 3 losses have been by 20+ points and we were never in the Dolphins game and got overrun and belted in the Cows and Knights games (and did not play the conditions in the wet).

We have some talent, but are a dumb and mentally fragile team.

We really only need to win 6 games to avoid the spoon and 14 to scrape into the top 8. I'll be happy when we chalk up our 6th win.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
On the face of it, 3-3 is around what I hoped, probably better really. But it's hard to take satisfaction when our 3 losses have been by 20+ points and we were never in the Dolphins game and got overrun and belted in the Cows and Knights games (and did not play the conditions in the wet).

We have some talent, but are a dumb and mentally fragile team.

We really only need to win 6 games to avoid the spoon and 14 to scrape into the top 8. I'll be happy when we chalk up our 6th win.
My how our once mighty red v has fallen...here we are talking about needing to win 6 games to avoid the spoon and it's only round 6.....your quite correct in your comments re we are dumb and mentally fragile.....dumb in that some of the things we do or dont do on the field is basic schoolboy stuff (how do you coach that)......and let's drill down and define what is mentally fragile team.....It's a team that shits itself ever time the least little incident goes against them irrespective of whether they are in front or behind in a game....now you can correct that in 2 ways....1. replace Hunt as captain and replace him with someone that will get right up the players on the paddock and show some leadership qualities for 80 mins and 2. The coach needs to start dropping players that continue to drop their bundle when times get tough.......Can you imagine coaches like Jack Gibson, Roy Masters Bennett or Bellamy putting up with soft cocks in their teams....."mentally fragile" what a load of convenient crap thats banded around these days for blokes not aiming up for what their getting well paid for

thebigredv

First Grade
My how our once mighty red v has fallen...here we are talking about needing to win 6 games to avoid the spoon and it's only round 6.....your quite correct in your comments re we are dumb and mentally fragile.....dumb in that some of the things we do or dont do on the field is basic schoolboy stuff (how do you coach that)......and let's drill down and define what is mentally fragile team.....It's a team that shits itself ever time the least little incident goes against them irrespective of whether they are in front or behind in a game....now you can correct that in 2 ways....1. replace Hunt as captain and replace him with someone that will get right up the players on the paddock and show some leadership qualities for 80 mins and 2. The coach needs to start dropping players that continue to drop their bundle when times get tough.......Can you imagine coaches like Jack Gibson, Roy Masters Bennett or Bellamy putting up with soft cocks in their teams....."mentally fragile" what a load of convenient crap thats banded around these days for blokes not aiming up for what their getting well paid for
The loss to the Knights quickly dissipated as they seem to these days but it was the Tuesday team that really got me down. It is no small matter that coach is now persisting with players who are underperforming. Red flags for me.

He is still happy to run them out expecting something different will happen. The actual issue is that there is really nothing to gain by it. He wants their experience so we don't get rolled, I get that, but isn't he actually more concerned about 2025 and 26? Picking Lawrie for example is sending the exact opposite message to what he speaks about. Can anyone tell me what we are actually doing of this current moment in the NRL to prepare for 2025 and 2026? If we are putting all our eggs in the recruitment basket then that's a proven let down waiting to happen. I don't see the logic.

Then doubling down by signing Michael Molo who can't even crack first grade when the standards have already been lowered is just bewildering. I'm holding Flano to his words of change for our team and our club and this definitely defies it. If he rates him, why a one year contract?

We are fielding the oldest forward pack in the NRL during a rebuild time. Can we not see the likes of Couchman/s, Fifita, Egan, Coric and Tuitavake (one or two at a time) come in and give them a decent taste and a decent chance to show their wares? That way two years down the track, the ones that do have the goods, are experienced and hopefully still playing for us, and ready to embark on their break out seasons.

TheRev

First Grade
Haven't got that win over the tigers yet, no point talking about 3&3 records.. I reckon we are more than a 50/50 bet though.

God I'd love a decent signing though, I dont hate mmolo, not sure if it's related to fmolo, and Michael has something a little different if he could go up another gear.. Potentially a 13.. But he's more than likely 1yr tops and replaced by younger blokes.. We also may need to replace jdb yet.

We have just enough cattle that if we can string two in a row, the belief will grow.

If we can be relatively injury free, top 8 is not out of the question yet.

Im expecting Flanno to get his hands on the ball more this weekend and quietly confident of a 20+ win.

Reckon Luc is a goodin for anytime scorer aswell.
Kyle will see plenty of ball. He'll be trying to get Leilua one on one with Bud. They will go hard at Bud, because he is an obvious defensive weakness, and because Flanno is certainly not above pettiness: he'll want to prove he was right to let Bud go.

Crush

Coach
The loss to the Knights quickly dissipated as they seem to these days but it was the Tuesday team that really got me down. It is no small matter that coach is now persisting with players who are underperforming. Red flags for me.

He is still happy to run them out expecting something different will happen. The actual issue is that there is really nothing to gain by it. He wants their experience so we don't get rolled, I get that, but isn't he actually more concerned about 2025 and 26? Picking Lawrie for example is sending the exact opposite message to what he speaks about. Can anyone tell me what we are actually doing of this current moment in the NRL to prepare for 2025 and 2026? If we are putting all our eggs in the recruitment basket then that's a proven let down waiting to happen. I don't see the logic.

Then doubling down by signing Michael Molo who can't even crack first grade when the standards have already been lowered is just bewildering. I'm holding Flano to his words of change for our team and our club and this definitely defies it. If he rates him, why a one year contract?

We are fielding the oldest forward pack in the NRL during a rebuild time. Can we not see the likes of Couchman/s, Fifita, Egan, Coric and Tuitavake (one or two at a time) come in and give them a decent taste and a decent chance to show their wares? That way two years down the track, the ones that do have the goods, are experienced and hopefully still playing for us, and ready to embark on their break out seasons.
I’m not quite sure I follow here.
If it’s round 16 and he’s picking blokes that aren’t performing then your post all makes sense, season is over, time to plan for 25, get some experience into the kids.
But it’s round 6, he’s trying to put his best 17 on the field. Now granted, Lawrie’s form has been awful and he’d be under the microscope, but at his best, as a 27 year old experienced NRL prop, he’d be better than the 22 year old kids that are our next generation.
Our starting edges are 26 and 27 years old.
Our starting props are 27 and 29 years old.
Our bench is 26, 27, 30, 33.
The only old bloke is JDB but would you leave him out? He’s gotta be in our best 17 right?

It’s early days, he wants his best players on the park, the couchman’s etc will get their shot, they are the future.

thebigredv

First Grade
If it’s round 16 and he’s picking blokes that aren’t performing then your post all makes sense, season is over, time to plan for 25, get some experience into the kids.
But it’s round 6, he’s trying to put his best 17 on the field. Now granted, Lawrie’s form has been awful and he’d be under the microscope, but at his best, as a 27 year old experienced NRL prop, he’d be better than the 22 year old kids that are our next generation.
The only old bloke is JDB but would you leave him out? He’s gotta be in our best 17 right?

It’s early days, he wants his best players on the park, the couchman’s etc will get their shot, they are the future.

I think you do follow but you just don't agree, which is fine.

I definitely am of the belief that we could be blooding one or two of the young forwards now and not lose anything by doing so. We may just unravel a new mainstay and discover a new weapon. When you trust these blokes you will get some raw energy and yeah a few hiccups along the way. Egan has the biggest wraps, Fifita was great on debut and the Couchman's look comfortable as anything in first grade. Surely we can get Toby on the bench. Admittedly I don't watch much Cup so I can't say who, but surely there's a number of these guys knocking on the door of first grade. If not, we are in deeper doo-doo than I thought.

Picking players with 'awful' form, as you put it, is certainly not going to help us long term and it sends the wrong message about standards to entire squad. Hate to point it out but it is exactly the same fear we saw with the last two coaches. Imagine being that young bloke playing your heart out in the reserves looking at Lawrie plod around ahead of you. Then we scratch our head and wonder why these guys go elsewhere. Funny how they get selection at far better teams too. J Hunt last night looked great for the Broncos for example. We seem to do this thing where we blood them while the seasons almost over and then write them off.

The forward pack age statistic is a fact and it seems strange to me we wouldn't be putting some youth through there during a rebuild. It's not ancient by any means but we have a lot of stop-gap type experienced players there on short contracts. Afterthoughts, if I may use that term. There's no clear view of who will be there in 3 seasons time when supposedly, we will be in the mix again.

You talk about waiting til round 16 - that is exactly the sentiment I'd expect and I keep hearing. Give it time. "We are pretty average team but you never know, it might start to turn around and we get 8th spot". Are we actually intent on bigger and better things or are we pure just hedging our bets? What is our actual focus?

To quote the coach:

"Our focus is 2025. We've made some changes in 2024 and we're still looking for some players, but our real focus will be for 2025 and 2026." - 6/2/2024

As I already asked: What are we seriously doing today to commit to a better 25/26?
It seems in actuality we want to wait til we are out of a finals race until we start looking at players and giving the younger guys a go. Isn't that what we've been doing the last 10 years??

I definitely am of the belief that we could be blooding one or two of the young forwards now and not lose anything by doing so. We may just unravel a new mainstay and discover a new weapon. When you trust these blokes you will get some raw energy and yeah a few hiccups along the way. Egan has the biggest wraps, Fifita was great on debut and the Couchman's look comfortable as anything in first grade. Surely we can get Toby on the bench. Admittedly I don't watch much Cup so I can't say who, but surely there's a number of these guys knocking on the door of first grade. If not, we are in deeper doo-doo than I thought.

Picking players with 'awful' form, as you put it, is certainly not going to help us long term and it sends the wrong message about standards to entire squad. Hate to point it out but it is exactly the same fear we saw with the last two coaches. Imagine being that young bloke playing your heart out in the reserves looking at Lawrie plod around ahead of you. Then we scratch our head and wonder why these guys go elsewhere. Funny how they get selection at far better teams too. J Hunt last night looked great for the Broncos for example. We seem to do this thing where we blood them while the seasons almost over and then write them off.

The forward pack age statistic is a fact and it seems strange to me we wouldn't be putting some youth through there during a rebuild. It's not ancient by any means but we have a lot of stop-gap type experienced players there on short contracts. Afterthoughts, if I may use that term. There's no clear view of who will be there in 3 seasons time when supposedly, we will be in the mix again.

You talk about waiting til round 16 - that is exactly the sentiment I'd expect and I keep hearing. Give it time. "We are pretty average team but you never know, it might start to turn around and we get 8th spot". Are we actually intent on bigger and better things or are we pure just hedging our bets? What is our actual focus?

To quote the coach:

"Our focus is 2025. We've made some changes in 2024 and we're still looking for some players, but our real focus will be for 2025 and 2026." - 6/2/2024

As I already asked: What are we seriously doing today to commit to a better 25/26?
It seems in actuality we want to wait til we are out of a finals race until we start looking at players and giving the younger guys a go. Isn't that what we've been doing the last 10 years??
Monitor and develop our junior talent

attempting not to promote them till they are physically and mentally ready

Monitoring the player market, endeavouring to plug holes in the roster

Parko1310

Juniors

To quote the coach:

That quote from Flano is specifically talking about recruitment, not football performance. It's pretty clear when you read the full article, but Flano has also come out multiple times and made that clear that he was talking about recruitment. He wants to win in 2024. I understand wanting to get some game time into some other players, but having a bit of perspective of the situation helps. We are only going into round 6. We have not even played 1/4 of our games yet this season. Flano can't afford this early in the year to be making mass changes, he risks losing heaps of players mentally, and if some of those younger forwards you mention don't step up, which they won't be able to week in week out in the NRL yet, well guess who you're left with to bring up from the reserves. Those who have already mentally checked out. So now you'd have a situation where your young blokes are burnt out, not able to get up for games, sore, probably not playing well, and losing confidence. Now you've got to bring in plodders who checked out after round 5. Toby Couchman will get his chances this season, it is still only very early in the year. I would personally drop Lawrie and bring in BMM for this week to get some size and punch off the bench. The young guys aren't required yet, because they will burn out and lose confidence when they do.

Crush

Coach

To quote the coach:

OK, I follow but disagree.
Blooding youngsters weakens our team, at this stage of the season we are trying to field our strongest 17.
The youngsters will get their shot throughout the season, there will be a massive roster change in 25/26 especially in the backs.

thebigredv

First Grade
That quote from Flano is specifically talking about recruitment, not football performance. It's pretty clear when you read the full article, but Flano has also come out multiple times and made that clear that he was talking about recruitment. He wants to win in 2024. I understand wanting to get some game time into some other players, but having a bit of perspective of the situation helps. We are only going into round 6. We have not even played 1/4 of our games yet this season. Flano can't afford this early in the year to be making mass changes, he risks losing heaps of players mentally, and if some of those younger forwards you mention don't step up, which they won't be able to week in week out in the NRL yet, well guess who you're left with to bring up from the reserves. Those who have already mentally checked out. So now you'd have a situation where your young blokes are burnt out, not able to get up for games, sore, probably not playing well, and losing confidence. Now you've got to bring in plodders who checked out after round 5. Toby Couchman will get his chances this season, it is still only very early in the year. I would personally drop Lawrie and bring in BMM for this week to get some size and punch off the bench. The young guys aren't required yet, because they will burn out and lose confidence when they do.

We seem adversed completely to be playing these young forwards in comparison to other teams and i'm not sure why. That's not great in my opinion but I understand your rationale.

Recruitment cannot be segregated from football performance. They are closely related. We are depending on the likes of Tuitavake, Fifita and Egan to fill the holes in our squad. Those first two were recruited for a reason, and with big reputation. Toby Couchman looks at home in first grade to me.

We struggle to sign players of note. That's a fact. It's something we must accept so although we are about 5 excellent players short of a semi finals team, we are going to 100% require some of these green players to be that future. Get one or two of them in the team for the sake of our future.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

I agree..........unfortunately the way I've seen us evolve over the years since the Bennett days is the likes of Price, McGregor, Hook and now Flanno imo they are all desperate to keep their jobs and therefore stick with players that have experience (not necessarily form) rather than introduce up and comers.....in that I mean give them some quality game time instead of token minutes or sfa

BLM01

First Grade

To quote the coach:

What is he doing no evidence for 2025/2026. Freeing up salary cap space letting Lomax walk for starters
Understand the impatience but you have to give a new coach time. I was doing exactly the same with Hook and was willing to give him to his 3rd year but he did not change the culture and it was clear he lost the dressing room, and I was lambasted by many posters on here for supporting him during Years 1 & 2
I will be saying and doing the same with Flanno in Year 3 if we still are where we are.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
OK, I follow but disagree.
Blooding youngsters weakens our team, at this stage of the season we are trying to field our strongest 17.
The youngsters will get their shot throughout the season, there will be a massive roster change in 25/26 especially in the backs.
The team is full of plodders. Blooding youngsters (from how I see it) is to replace current underperforming players with young kids who would give their all in first grade. For example, replacing Lawrie with Tui. I def wouldn’t recommend replacing a player like say Sua with a young kid just to see how he goes. Anyway. Sorry to interrupt

denis preston

First Grade

Can’t disagree with this. I’m hoping Flanno has told a couple of players this is their last chance. Makes the reggies game very important to who shows Flanno they are ready for promotion.

I think there is method to sticking with the same team

Over the off-season Flanno has focussed on player strength and fitness, which most can see was reasonably fruitful.

This current team have proved that, at times, we can vary attack plans successfully as well as be resilient defending the line.

It is the overall team’s mental toughness that needs heaps of work to achieve consistency. Not only within the 80 minutes on field but backing up after a big loss the next week..

If Flanno can increase our mental toughness as a team, then he can focus on individual weaknesses, drop them, and blood some youth in a much better environment.

A big ask to rely on juniors to perform within the ranks of a mentally weak unit.

But…. Patience is not a virtue with us fans!

steerlerbab

Juniors
Flanno has already debuted Fifita (22 years) and Marshke (27 years). Fifita did not grab his chance. Fifita is still too young for prop. He needs 2 to 3 years to fully grow and become a prop. Some might say at 27 Marshke is a veteran, but he was given his first grade chance with us few weeks ago and seems he has cemented no 14 spot ahead of Mulheisen at the moment.

At the moment Toby Couchman has not been given any chance but this is due to the fact our backrow of Leilua, Sua, Eisenhuh and Mariner is very good and injury free.

We clearly lack one or two front rowers. We need a better starter than Lawrie. At 27 M Molo should have started firing as bench middle forward but does not seem happening. Club extended him one more year but I think it will be for reserve grade.