What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbo vs Chalk

edabomb

First Grade
Mal Meninga said:
Has Chalk seriously been given a shot at a regular spot in the side? He played lights out when Schif was injured but that doesn't even compare to the seasons that Gafa, Bulgarelli, Howell, Purtell and other backs were given to prove themselves.

I agree.

But in his time on the wing he has looked very average. I think it might be a case of missing his chance, as Schif was here and now Zillman or Goodwin look set to take over. He is not a winger, and he doesn't really look like anything special when playing 2nd row IMO either. He hits the line hard but rarely busts tackles.

It seems he is destined to be a stop gap utility.

Raider_69

Post Whore
if i were coaching this team i would sit chalk down and tell him he will be used as a winger. Give him an entire off season to work on his wing play and watch him go... i think if he was just given a stable position on the wing and given time to adjust to that he would be an awesome winger

paulquinn49

Bench
might be too late though Nick, he spent his entire career at the Raiders being groomed to take over Shif, now it looks like it wont happen. He will need more than an offseason to get his game back to where it should be.

Will be a sh*t fight to hold a spot in next years backline, for any player, except Graham imo

Raider_69

Post Whore
He has been playing Wing/Fullnback his entire career bar 2006, which was one of elliott worst ideas, i dont think it would take him that long to get back to his best as a wing/fullback at all. If he started this off season, by round 1 he'd be 2nd picked backline player behind Graham IMO

SOULS 04

Juniors
I really do think robbo has improved this year but he still hasn't set the world on fire.

and elliot loved him as well... these players that dont do alot wrong but arent anything special to watch. doesnt hurt to have robbo in your side but he's not the type to win games for you either.

the question is is chalk?

personally he's had a bad year but most of us agree he's been used badly. put him back in the backline get him working with a sprint coach and maybe lighten the weights he's doing a little and then we'll see the best of chalk next year.

no one answered my question....of the people commenting on here...how many have actually watched several manly games??

by the way...im not dissing chalk....i love chalky

Dutchy

Immortal
Robbo is better

Heres an interesting stat though

Watmough and Robbo have like 2 games difference between them

Watmough has more career tries

thickos

First Grade
scottyj said:
Robbo is better

Speaks volumes about Robbo's knack of finding the tryline.

jed

First Grade
scottyj said:
Robbo is better

Watmough's better than Robbo? No sh*t sherlock :lol:

paulquinn49

Bench
Got to do with the centres though, if the centres are good enough they go themselves 90% of the time.

Dogs have no centres, so El Masri scores their tries, same with Souths and Merritt. Best/Naquima wouldnt score too many cause Cooper and Gasnier dont need em.

paulquinn49

Bench
Best 19 games 6 tries
Gasnier 22 games 18 tries
Cooper 23 games 14 tries

So Best has a similar try scoring ratio to Robbo this year, but yeah lets live in 2005, cause thats what 2006 is all about!

thickos

First Grade
True the 2006 stats are different. I think you're using a flawed logic though Quinny, if Robbo has poorer centres outside him than Best, wouldn't Robbo score more tries as his centres aren't good enough to get the job done themselves?

paulquinn49

Bench
I rate Bell as good as Gasnier and Cooper, Matai is a ball hog. All I was saying, not every winger is a try scoring machine.

Latest posts