What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roberts takes chance with both hands

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Roberts seals place after star turn in trial

By ROBERT DILLON Feb. 17, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

TYRONE Roberts has taken his half chance and will be in Newcastle’s squad for next month’s season-opener against Wests Tigers at Hunter Stadium.

Roberts, the 21-year-old playmaker who was expected to play the role of back-up to Kurt Gidley and Jarrod Mullen this season, showed he had other ideas with a two-try performance in the 18-6 win against South Sydney in Saturday’s trial match at Coffs Harbour.

Skippering Newcastle’s second-stringers for the final two quarters, Roberts grubbered ahead in the 57th minute, forced the fumble and then pounced on the crumbs to score the Knights’ second try, after the 10th-minute opener from hooker Matt Hilder.

Then just seconds before full-time, Roberts burst into space, linked with young forward Korbin Sims, and backed up to race over for a double.

Knights coach Wayne Bennett said the rest of his squad would be settled after Saturday night’s hit-out against Cronulla in Tamworth. Roberts, however, had sealed a position, most likely as interchange utility.

‘‘We’ll find a place for him in the 17,’’ Bennett said. ‘‘He’s just too valuable not to have there somewhere, that ability he’s got.

‘‘He did a great job there tonight ... you can tick him off.

‘‘You might get the other 16 wrong but you can get that one right.’’

A 2011 NRL debutant, Roberts has played in 25 top-grade games, 18 of them in sequence last season after Gidley sustained a season-ending dislocated shoulder.

The former Junior Kangaroos representative said he had tried not to dwell on his prospects once Newcastle’s inspirational skipper returned.

He focused instead on Bennett’s instructions to gain strength in the gym and become a more dominant organiser, admitting he was ‘‘not a very good talker’’.

‘‘I was just thinking train hard, do all the little things right, and be in contention for the first round,’’ he said.

‘‘I’ve been working well with the boys. They’re listening to me at training.

‘‘Everyone’s on board.

‘‘They know I’m here to do a job and they’ve got confidence in me to do the job as well, so it’s good.’’

Roberts said he now weighed a more robust 89 kilograms.

‘‘I put on four kilos. Wayne wanted me up there so I’ve just been on the proteins, bulking up.

‘‘It’s a boost for my confidence in defence as well.’’

Just what role Roberts will play off the bench remains to be seen, but with Danny Buderus recovering from back surgery, Gidley could find himself relieving Hilder at dummy-half at various stages.

‘‘I can put Kurt in there if I have to and Tyrone on the bench,’’ Bennett said. Bennett was impressed with Gidley’s 40-minute stint, his first game time since round eight last season.

‘‘He was good,’’ Bennett said.

‘‘His great asset is just his confidence and his belief in himself.

‘‘It rubs off on all those around him. He’ll just get better at the rest of it.’’

Bennett was entitled to be satisfied with Newcastle’s new-found resilience against one of last season’s top four.

The Knights weathered a barrage of early sets as Souths, aided by a string of penalties and a Darius Boyd fumble, camped on Newcastle’s line.

But the Knights turned defence into attack when Akuila Uate broke clear, and seconds later Hilder dived over from dummy-half.

Roberts extended Newcastle’s lead to 12-0, but a try to Souths substitute Apisai Koroisau left the result in the balance until the final minute.

KNIGHTS 18 (T Roberts 2 tries; K Gidley, Roberts, P Mata’utia goals) SOUTHS 6 (A Koroisau try; A Reynolds goal).
LINK

perverse

Referee
Bennett sees a lot in this lad, and has never (and I mean NEVER) missed an opportunity to talk him up deluxe. I get the feeling this is all a part of Bennett's grooming process - it's all about confidence. It looks like it is paying off big dividends... I think he's going to make a real gem out of Tyrone.

2014 -

6. Mullen
7. Roberts

9. Gidley

Confidence is something we've found it very hard... if not impossible to instill into our boys since Joey retired. He left such a massive hole... we didn't know how to be good without him, and we knew it. Things continue to change. We didn't get the year many were expecting last year... but I see a team that could easily swing in the other direction this year if the pieces all fall in the right places. It's going to be a very different team than last year.

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
What does this mean for Mullo????????

Less than 3 weeks from the start of the season and this little whipper-snapper has an article about him, and nothing about Mullo's desire to be consistent.

I am concerned, not alarmed, that we may not see the annual Mullo puff piece.

RHCP

Bench
What does this mean for Mullo????????

Less than 3 weeks from the start of the season and this little whipper-snapper has an article about him, and nothing about Mullo's desire to be consistent.

I am concerned, not alarmed, that we may not see the annual Mullo puff piece.
Fear not Tim, there is still plenty of time left before the start of the season. 'Mullo's confidence sky high for 2013' will come in due time.

I like Tyrone, I hope he goes well for us.

b4l

Juniors
Roberts is a goodie. Has a nice show and go. I wish we had a young half like him coming through the Broncos.

doggone

Juniors
Early days, I am going to sit on the fence with Roberts, played second half against weaker side??

Always liked Roberts. Always saw something in him. He is young and is a bloody great halfback for his age and experience. Roberts will have the grooming and mentoring that Mullen never had.

Spot On

Coach
It was a slightly weaker Souths side in the second half of the trial. Confidence with this kid is a huge thing and he is being managed well. I'm hoping Roberts fills the 7 earlier than 2014. I can see Bennett having to make the change this year.

Mullo is hands down the most furstrating half i have ever seen in my life. The kid has everything. Pace, strength and a kicking game without peer when it is on song. Greg Alexander said he is the best half in the comp only he has never ever allowed his game to flow to prove it. I agree. As for Tyrone he has had a huge 12 months and seems to only be getting better. I get the feeling Gids move to the 9 in 2014 is inevtiable.

perverse

Referee
Mullen was really good for us last year. Not peak of his potential good, but f**k he had a really good year. It'll be nice to finally see what he can do behind a real forward pack, and with the tools around him to run riot. His biggest problem is between his ears... and I think Bennett has gone a long way to fixing that.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Mullen was really good for us last year. Not peak of his potential good, but f**k he had a really good year. It'll be nice to finally see what he can do behind a real forward pack, and with the tools around him to run riot. His biggest problem is between his ears... and I think Bennett has gone a long way to fixing that.

That's the point that I feel a lot of people are missing. Mullen has been playing behind a beaten pack for years, which makes life almost impossible for a half/5/8. On the rare occasions where the team gets a roll on, he looks impressive, his running game in particular. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes this year since we've bought some aggressive forwards.

Hanscholo

Bench
If I don't see a Mullen "ready to step up" story I am willing to write one for you guys just to keep things feeling normal.

Roberts is all good imo. I'd like to see him on the bench and coming on to rest Buderus ( even when fit and ready ), roberts adds an xfactor to our attack, and at the same time gives us Kurt's spring out of dummy half which I have always admired. I

Massive year from Mullen and Gidley needed for us to go anywhere near the title. The forwards will give plenty of space so it is a better bet than ever before. If Johns were in this side we would win in a canter. Buderus might also benefit from more room and can make his runs on the back of better go forward.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Was gonna create a new thread, but may as well use this one.

I REALLY like what he has been able to do in each of his 4 games this year. I think last night the first half was his worst one yet, wasn't really putting in on defense, but fixed it up in the second half.

Anyway, each game this year he has made a linebreak, this is where he'll elevate his game to the next level and earn the oppositions respect.

They will start taking notes from video footage and give him more attention and respect and in return this will put more eyes on Roberts and open up guys out wide such as Boyd and the centres and wingers. It's all going to unfold nicely I believe.

Rolla

Juniors
His two individual tries have come at very important times in the matches too. Perhaps you could say they were both turning points in their respective matches. We need players that will come up with big individual plays when we need them to lift the team or sway the match.

aqua_duck

Coach
I believe the difference between TJ and Kids is that TJ plays what's in front of him and is a lot more instinctive, Kids has a play thought out then even if it's not on he'll still go with it which is a major flaw

Latest posts