What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rod Marsh - Passed away 4/3/22

TheParraboy

Staff member
Unfortunately not doing well

Hope he can pull through but not looking great

induced coma and condition critical

1645948454819.jpeg

Australian cricket legend Rod Marsh is in the "fight of his life" after being put into an induced coma following the major heart attack he suffered on Thursday.

The former wicketkeeper, 74, was taken to hospital after his heart stopped while he was in Bundaberg to attend a charity event in Bundaberg.

Marsh played 96 Tests for Australia between 1970 and 1984 and later served as a national selector until 2016.

In a statement released on Sunday son Paul said his father's condition was "critical".

"He is currently in the fight of his life and remains in an induced coma in critical condition," it read.

"At the moment this is a waiting game and we are unlikely to have any certainty for some time.

"We know there is a lot of interest in Dad's condition and our family has been overwhelmed by the messages of love and support from all around the world.

"We have listened to and read every one of them and we are incredibly grateful to everyone."

Australian Test captain Pat Cummins was told the news of Marsh's condition when he addressed the media upon his team's arrival in Pakistan for their six-week tour there.

"We just really feel for the Marsh family and the kids," Cummins said.

"He's a legend of our game and somebody who has done so much for our sport. We obviously wish him the best because it's a really tough situation."

JJ

Immortal
Sad to read this, huge contributor to Australian cricket, the original tough little nugget?

c Marsh b Lillee was a special thing

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not good news at all, we all know Marshy is a fighter. All the best to him and his family.

TheParraboy

Staff member

1646264927974.png

Rod Marsh has been flown from Bundaberg to Royal Adelaide Hospital so he is closer to his family after suffering a major heart attack last Thursday.

The 74-year-old Australian cricket legend remains in an induced coma.

A spokesman for Bundaberg Hospital confirmed Marsh was transferred interstate on Monday in a critical but stable condition.
Originally from Perth, Marsh moved to Adelaide two decades ago when he became coach of the National Cricket Academy.

Family members - including Marsh’s wife Ros, and children Paul, Dan and Jamie - rushed to be at his side in Queensland on Thursday but have since returned to Adelaide.
Paul, the former chief executive of the Australian Cricketers Association and now CEO of the AFLPA, issued a statement on Sunday saying his father “is currently in the fight of his life”.

“At the moment, this is a waiting game and we are unlikely to have any certainty for some time,” he said.

“We know there is a lot of interest in dad’s condition and our family has been overwhelmed by the messages of love and support from all around the world. We have listened to and read every one of them and are incredibly grateful.”

TheParraboy

Staff member
☹️

Australian cricket legend Rod Marsh has died at the age of 74, a week after suffering a serious heart attack.

The former wicketkeeper died in hospital in Adelaide this morning, having been transferred from Bundaberg earlier this week.

Marsh played 96 Test matches for Australia between 1970-1984, retiring with a then world record of 355 dismissals, 95 of which came off the bowling of his great mate, Dennis Lillee.

He was also the first Australian wicketkeeper to make a Test century, reaching the mark against Pakistan in Adelaide in 1972-73, although Bill Lawry had famously declared with Marsh on 92 in just his fourth Test match against England in January, 1971.

A hard-hitting left-handed batter, Marsh averaged 26.51 with the willow.

His former captain and long-time friend, Ian Chappell, told Wide World of Sports Marsh was respected by all those he played with and against.

A truly sad day.
As a little kid, those last few seasons with Lillee , Chappell and Marsh -,they were gods amongst men in cricket terms.
Post playing, Rod had his fingerprints all over the redevelopment of Australian cricket with academy and was a well liked, straight talking, expert in the trade.
Australian cricket owes him a debt of gratitude for his years of service.
Love and condolences to his family, friends, peers and the whole cricketing community who loved and respected Rod.
RIP

Eelectrica

Referee
Really sad news. Rod Marsh was one of the first players I remember watching. He along with Lillee and Chappell.
RIP Rod Marsh. Will be missed

TheParraboy

Staff member
A truly sad day.
As a little kid, those last few seasons with Lillee , Chappell and Marsh -,they were gods amongst men in cricket terms.
Post playing, Rod had his fingerprints all over the redevelopment of Australian cricket with academy and was a well liked, straight talking, expert in the trade.
Australian cricket owes him a debt of gratitude for his years of service.
Love and condolences to his family, friends, peers and the whole cricketing community who loved and respected Rod.
RIP

Not only footprint on Aussie cricket, but massively on the 2005 ashes for the Poms

He was hired as the head of national cricket academy in England from 2001 to end of the 2005 ashes

JJ

Immortal
f**k…. As a young kid I was in awe of him, Lillee and Chappell… an iconic unmistakably Australian cricket legend. RIP Bachus, you’ll be missed and remembered fondly by so many people

PARRA_FAN

Coach
So sad, heard the news this morning and Ive been feeling down ever since I heard the news. 😢😢

I never saw him play or met him in person but from what Ive heard over the years, he was rated as one of the best wicketkeepers, if not the best. He was a lovable character not just in cricket but sport in Australia.

Just saw Gilly's tribute to Marsh, I got a bit teary.

Incorrect

Coach
I was only 7 years old and not even that interested in cricket when Bacchus retired... Not long after though my obsession with the game began and I always regretted not having watched him play, his legend had grown across school playgrounds and everyone was trying to take 1-handed screamers like Rod Marsh....

I have to watch most of his highlights via YouTube clips... And here is where the most lasting impression of the man can be seen.... Go and watch the infamous underarm incident when Greg Chappell instructs his brother Trevor to bowl that last ball underarm that day and watch closely Rod's reaction - arms crossed, a shake and of the head and reading his lips, a simple "No mate".... Wanted no part of it or to be associated with it.

Vale Mr Marsh