What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rollcall - England A v Kangeroos. Whos listening?

ali

Bench
I think Briscoe is a very, very good Rugby League full back. Before the Grand final I would have said he's a better player than Bradford's Reardon, who is now in the Gb squad. Briscoe is just unlucky he has Radlinski ahead of him, but I don't think it will be long before he's better than Rads.

From reading the totalrl.com forum it sounds as though the pommie fans were very impressed with their team. Especially the halves of Burrow, Throman and McGuire. I'm not convinced about Burrow in the Test arena just yet, but surely one of Throman or McGuire should be promoted. And maybe Gleeson as well as he was supposedly on fire.

Agree McDermott should be dropped.

JJ

Immortal
Well it still sounded like an English comment!! I don't really care who the "moral" victors were, at the end of the day that counts for very little.

Obvioulsy the Aussies have more depth than other countries - there are 19 players + Girlder out at the moment. But, they don't have 4 or 5 teams to thrash others.

I would suggest that GB would now be the favourites for the test series, which could go either way.

In reality, I think this was an incredibly poorly selected team, and that will come back to haunt the Australians - no 5/8, Kimmorley continually picked, Girlder the only class centre (and he hasn't played yet), Mason, Villasanti, Bailey and Kearns are ineffective for one reason or another.

Well, that's how I see it (and I don't care if Mason played well today (I haven't seen the game) - he's not up to it, but more or less has to play :( )

JJ

Immortal
DaleyIsGod said:
It's cos theres no Raiders in the team mate. 8)

Well I would have taken O'Hara and Davico ahead of Kearns and Villasanti.

Hindmarsh ahead of Mason too - although there are a few I'd have ahead of Ian Hindmarsh

ouwet

Bench
JJ said:
DaleyIsGod said:

Hindmarsh ahead of Mason too - although there are a few I'd have ahead of Ian Hindmarsh

Steven Price should of went infront of all of them...

JJ

Immortal
LebaneseForces said:
JJ said:
DaleyIsGod said:

Steven Price should of went infront of all of them...

agreed - in my opinion they've taken the worst Bulldogs forward!!

JK

In-goal said:
mason dosen't even start for canterbury does he?

No way! He is only effective when the defence is tired but even that is diminishing as they realise preston campbell has no real trouble tackling the boofhead.

Price and O'Meley are the real deal. Mason is the showpony. :roll:

Caged Panther

First Grade
JJ said:

In reality, I think this was an incredibly poorly selected team, and that will come back to haunt the Australians - no 5/8, Kimmorley continually picked, Girlder the only class centre (and he hasn't played yet), Mason, Villasanti, Bailey and Kearns are ineffective for one reason or another.

should preston perhaps have gone then???

JJ

Immortal
Caged Panther said:
JJ said:

should preston perhaps have gone then???

IMO - yes, he and Geyer were the only guys playing 5/8 that were available. I also would have taken Orford as backup to Gower and left Kimmorley at home (I don't see how with his relationship to the coach and his on field manner with team-mates (he's not the captain!) he can be good for the team. I'd like to see Lewis play at centre with Girdler.

I think O'Hara/O'Meley and Price should have gone ahead of Kearns and Villasanti, and someone like Daniel Abrahams ahead of Willie Mason.

Clinton and Webcle should start with Waterhouse and Civo on the bench - and I guess Villa too - hopefully he can get fired up. But they are in trouble, I suspect!

Moffo

Referee
they just showed highlights on ch10 news...and it had fox sports in the corner...have i missed something, where are the highlights??

Cheers,
Moffo

In-goal

Bench
That would have come off SKY sports news, the English sports show 9:30 in the mornings on SKY NEWS Australia.

Moffo

Referee
thats what i thought, and it had the sky scoreboard....but on the right hand side was the foxsports logo that they use in Australia...

hmmmm, did anyone else see it? It should be shown on ch9 news in about 5 if anyone is watching

Cheers,
Moffo

gaterooze

Bench
WOW!

I hadn't been around for a couple of days and didn't know I could hear this over the net -- damn, wish I did! Sounds like it was a fantastic game. Good on ya England A, so great to see the future looking bright over there for once.

I'm really looking forward to the Ashes series now. Bring it on, Brits!

(__y__)

Juniors
After watching the game last night (great result!!!) it seems that the Test Series could depend on the leniency of the referee at the play of the ball (does anyone know the refs - think the 2nd test is Harrigan). I think a stricter ref last night would have given a few more penalties for holding down (he might have been told not to last night??), and whenever the Aussies did play it quick, they were really dangerous - this is what happened at the start of the second half.

What changed the game in England's favour was when they decided to release the ball in the tackle - this broke the play up a lot more, and allowed people like Burrow and McGuire especially to use their skills. If the Lions follow this example and throw the ball about, then they'll have half a chance, because there is NO WAY that they are going to win by playing one-out rugby - the Aussie one-line of defence is far too good, even if this isn't their best team.

I just hope that Waite jusn't settle for the old faithful tactics come test time - we'll see an indication tonight hopefully against the Kiwis.

On the +side for the Aussies, Kearns and Mason (for 10mins!) did play well, and Kimmorley's kicking game was there to see, if only in short bursts.

All in all after watching this game I can't wait for the tests to start :)

JJ

Immortal
(__y__) said:
(does anyone know the refs - think the 2nd test is Harrigan).

On the +side for the Aussies, Kearns and Mason (for 10mins!) did play well, and Kimmorley's kicking game was there to see, if only in short bursts.

All in all after watching this game I can't wait for the tests to start :)

The tests will be exciting. I think Harrigan was going to, but he has retired now, so maybe Tim Mander?

Mason was outstanding :) Big effort from him, he usually plays well, but 10 mins is way above his usual 2 or 3!!!

Kearns was always going to be in the test side, but at least has shown some form now - hopefullu with Webcke, Civo, Clinton and Kearns the Aussies can assert some authority around the ruck.

But yeah, the test series will certainly be interesting, I wouldn't bet against the Aussies, and they can certainly play better. But I think the Lion's would be quietly confident.

Latest posts