What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie Halfback?

brook

First Grade
well our halfback problems are legendary but less well known is the fact that the tigers have had promising 17 Queensland halfback Benji Marshall contracted to them for all of this year and the next two. I haven't seen this kid play other than a little bit at the world sevens but the wraps on him are certainly huge...it was my understanding he would be staying in queensland this year while he completes his studies and joining wests next year but the herald today reported that he's moved to sydney and will be playing with the wests tigers cubs (under 19's development squad) v easts this week.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I wouldn't expect playing out the year with the under 19's would be much incentive to abandon school this close to finishing...has Tim finally got fed up with the complete lack of halfback talent anywhere in the wests tigers club and used the lure of a soon to be vacent halfback spot to get him to sydney earlier?

I would like to see what this kid can do before we throw huge money at any of the second rate halfbacks still on the market but its a rare kid that can handle first grade at 17 ... will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Muffdaddy

Juniors
I really hope he goes well for you guys. Rugby League is always a lot healthier when the Tigers are strong.
Good luck on Sunday. Should be a bloody close game.

brook

First Grade
He played under 19's with us yesterday - was on the field for 30 minutes and yet scored 4 trys

I don't think anyone could complain about that :)

Sheens confirmed he does plan to play him in first grade this year

Mighty Tiger

Bench
He scored a try for qld on the weekend. His touch footy rep season is over now so he will start to focus on league now.

Don't be surprsied if he starts training fulltime the week of the Parramatta game, and don't be even more surprised if he makes his first grade debut before the month is out starting off the bench

Tigerpete

Juniors
yeah i've heard that Sheens will give him a taste this season, off the bench it seems, he just wants benji to get a taste.......sothing to wet his apetite for next season.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Tigerpete said:
yeah i've heard that Sheens will give him a taste this season, off the bench it seems, he just wants benji to get a taste.......sothing to wet his apetite for next season.

I actually think it will become more than a taste for the kid, but I really doubt he will start any where else but from the bench

EWS

Juniors
Everyone semms to think Benji will play this week and have their own arguements for it.

But I think the obviious one is that we didnt name a number 14. Now why would we do that except to escap media build up.

Tigerpete

Juniors
EWS, u hit the nail on the head there, i actually never realised that during the week. He had a great game though, cetainly never looked out of place and geez can he step!!!!!

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Tigerpete said:
EWS, u hit the nail on the head there, i actually never realised that during the week. He had a great game though, cetainly never looked out of place and geez can he step!!!!!

Bloody oath the kid can step, but that wasn't all that impressed me.

The kid when playing fullback was organizing the defensive line, he was looking for work in the line and out of dummy half, he showed he had vision with 2 great passes either side of his body, he showed he could also defend with the try saving tackle before half time.

Most players with a similar style to his would have had the confidence drained right out of him after missing the first tackle (which he missed by the smallest of margins) but his confidence never looked like it disappeared.

But for me the highlight of the day was when the game had finished and all the players had gone inside all but Benji who ended up doing an interview with Junior on fox and when that finished the Grand stand was still full of people waiting to cheer the little bloke off. There is a great feeling around the place not just with the Wests Tigers but at Balmain and Western Suburbs as well and from what I've seen this year positive signs are finally starting to emerge.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
maelgwnau said:
i was under the impression Benji Marshall Was a Five-Eighth

His natural position is 5/8th (well thats where he has been playing for the cubs and the schoolboys side.

Benji started at fullback and when Senter went off Withers went to Hooker and Benji went to halfback (maybe to aviod defending the big men) so I guess time will tell once he starts building himself up to first grade size

Mighty Tiger said:
Bloody oath the kid can step

Reminded me of myself only 3 weeks ago when I was ultra pickled at a local pub. I stepped like Marshall, I swerved like Brett Kenny, I did a change of pace like Andrew Johns. It was a pity I was on alcohol auto pilot at the time coupled with my rack and pinion steering knees, I should start playing again with a pre game carton to increase my skill level.

Even I had to admit my ball control was poor but I did offer to pay for the blokes next to me to buy him some new shoes, teach him not to stand so close to me at crucial times.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Tom_from_Tasmania said:
Mighty Tiger said:
Bloody oath the kid can step

Reminded me of myself only 3 weeks ago when I was ultra pickled at a local pub. I stepped like Marshall, I swerved like Brett Kenny, I did a change of pace like Andrew Johns. It was a pity I was on alcohol auto pilot at the time coupled with my rack and pinion steering knees, I should start playing again with a pre game carton to increase my skill level.

:lol: