What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie Watch 2013 (NYC, NSW Cup, NRL)

Forty20

First Grade
So the off-season has well and truly set in and in my infinite boredom I set about creating a list of potential rookies who may debut for us next year in the NSW Cup and more importantly, the NRL. My list features players from both Wenty and the Toyota Cup, as well as some of our more exciting junior recruits. Some of the people on the list such as Makelim and Clay aren't seriously in the line for a promotion but are there for the recognition of young talent.

So why waste all that time typing this up you ask? Well you wouldn't ask that since the point is obviously to discuss who we think will debut for Wenty or Parra in 2013. My list is comprehensive but is by no means complete and it does not include recruits such as Ken Edwards, Manu Mau etc.

There is an excellent chance that my write up contains some incorrect information (not intentionally I swear!) as I based it off my recollection of live games, televised fox games and match updates, quick google searches and reports delivered by dedicated forumites like Stagger and IBB&G. If someone with a better perspective on the write up of any player feels I have described them incorrectly, I will gladly amend it.

I didn't include any Harold Matts or SG Ball players that may debut in the Toyota Cup as I am not deeply familiar with our junior rep squads. So if anyone is capable of providing insight on those squads, please do!

Coincidentally, the pre-season starts next week so all of these candidates get their first chance to impress Ricky.

NSW Cup

Marmin Barba (Half/Fullback): Younger brother of the 2012 Dally M, Ben Barba and an exciting prospect in his own right. In 2011 he starred for our NYC team at fullback, which saw him finish third on the try scorers list with 19 meat pies. He graduated to the NSW Cup this season, which also saw a transition from fullback to the halves but his season was swiftly ended when he ruptured his ACL in March. There are questions as to whether he is too small to make a consistent impact in the NRL, though he wouldn't be the first player to overcome size or injury to earn a place in first grade.

Rory Brien*(Backrow/Utility): While he made his debut on the wing against South Sydney in Rd. 23 of the 2011 season , Brien is in recent times more at home in the backrow. Versatility and a strong work ethic are the hallmarks of his game and the centre-come-backrower is particularly noted for his tireless efforts in defence. A shoulder injury kept him out of the entire 2012 preseason as well as the first half of the regular season. His return from injury to NSW Cup football was short lived as he was the victim of a vicious high shot which broke his jaw. Like Barba, his biggest disadvantage lies in his small stature though the solution may be found in his versatility. Brien can already cover wing and centre in a pinch and with a strong offseason he may be able to develop into a capable bench hooker.

Ken Edwards (Backrow): Former Manly and Dragons NYC backrower. Noted bad boy and cousin of James Tamou. Recruited from the QLD Cup.

Matthew Eisenhuth (Prop/Backrow): Eisenhuth was part of a cadre of NYC players in 2012 to spend a significant amount of time in the NSW Cup under Kearney’s youth policy. Just as his cousin, Paul Gallen, was pushed up into the front row this year, so was Eisenhuth. Although he stands at 192cm and weighs in at 100Kg and possesses a handy offload, at this stage it looks like Eisenhuth lacks the defining characteristics of any of the modern day front-row archetypes; be it power, speed, meterage or defensive prowess. It seems unlikely that he will be there for anything but an injury crisis but to steal a popular line from earlier this year…’happy to be proven wrong!’

Dylan Gilbert (Wing/Centre): Alas I cannot give you a hugely informative write up on Dylan Gilbert but if my memory serves me correctly he emerged from the Bundy Cup in 2011 to become a steady member of the Wenty NSW Cup squad. The most important thing that you need to know about him is that his form over the last 2 seasons warranted the club offering him a contract for 2013. Every club has their dime-a-dozen outside backs on minimum wage but Ringsose-regular I bleed blue & gold has marked Gilbert out as a smokey for first-grade duties in 2013.

Trent Jennings (Centre/Backrow): A former Australian Schoolboy and another player to benefit from our youth initiative this season. Jennings played on the wing for Wentworthville for a brief time before receiving a suspension for a dangerous tackle. He would later return to the NYC where he filled in at five-eighth, backrow and centre. Despite his versatility, Jennings is most likely behind a number of others in each position and will possibly struggle to field a position in a Wenty backline that will feature plenty of other young prospects. This may all prove to be a moot point as Jennings may very well not be with the club in 2013. Scratch that! It is likely this IS a moot point as the on-the-ball tipster, Jimmy informs me he has signed with the West-Tigers.

Toby Key (Prop): Key barely got onto the field this season, which was both a disappointment for him personally and a blow to our NYC forward pack that would have benefited from his presence. As a 1992 (not 1993, d'oh!) baby Key will be moving on from the Toyota Cup next season and it will be interesting to see how he performs in the NSW Cup. Highly rated by The Colonel and tipped by him as one to watch for next year.

Lorenzo Ma'afu* (Backrow): A former Bulldog who played 2 first grade games for them back in 2008. Another bad boy and QLD Cup recruit.

Jerome MacKenzie (Wing/Fullback): Mackenzie is the surprise find of the year, starring at wing and fullback for Wentworthville in their tilt at the finals. Possessing balance, elusiveness and electric pace Jerome is highly rated by forumite and Ringrose regular Stagger Eel. Jerome’s path to a full-time contract wasn’t through the usual junior representative ranks (Harold Matts, SG Ball and NYC), instead he came via our joint venture partners, the Wentworthville Magpies and was rewarded for his outstanding form with a contract for next year.

Jon Pepa (Centre/Wing): A reliable performer for our Toyota Cup team throughout most of the season. I believe he spent most of his game time in 2011 on the wing but featured more prominently in the centres in 2012. Pepa graduates from the NYC this year and has earned a contract with Wenty for his efforts. While not an out and out superstar, the rise of players like Ryan Morgan has shown that honest hard work and commitment can triumph over raw talent and that is the mindset that may end up rewarding Pepa in 2013.

Semi Radradra (Wing/Centre/Fullback): The Fijian sevens player who made the jump to rugby league. He has played in both the Toyota Cup and the NSW Cup and has given us a mixed bag in both. I’m not exactly sure how old he is but I think he has graduated from the Toyota Cup. Radradra is a project player in the mould of Akuila Uate. It is easy to see the quality he possesses but honing it to the point that he can deal with the rigours of the NRL will take time. He might see first grade in 2013 but if he sticks around beyond that he could be a very good player.

Jason Seage (Half/Fullback/Utility): A Junior Eel who was recruited by the NSW Waratahs from our SG Ball team. Seage spent time in the Australian sevens system, which favoured his ball-playing skills and natural acceleration. His return to Parramatta was hailed as an astute signing and according to forumites closer to the club than I; he was highly rated by our former coaching staff. While starting the season in NYC, Seage was promoted to the NSW Cup and spent a good amount of time there in the halves where he proved to be both sound in defence and capable in offence. Towards the back end of the season, Seage was rumoured to be in the mix to make his NRL debut before a fractured temple/eye socket suffered in a brawl against the Tigers(I think?) NYC team gave Nathan Smith and Jake Mullaney their own first grade opportunities. He is talented, versatile and has a good look in at first grade next year.

Peni Terepo (Prop): Terepo’s season was marred by injury from the get-go, which has limited his development against the bigger boppers in the NSW Cup. Terepo is a good front-row prospect whose defining trait is his ability to hit the ball up at pace. He is also capable of punishing defence but this happens too inconsistently to be hailed as a strength. His biggest flaw is his tendency to give away cheap possession with simple handling errors. If Terepo is able to maintain his aggression in defence and limits his mistakes in possession he may prove to be a quality addition to our NRL team.

Vai Toutai (Centre/Wing): Toutai is a former NSW U/18’s representative and one of our better prospects in the outside backs. He played plenty of NSW Cup this year and while he showed glimpses of promise, his performances were often marred by a lack of intensity. With the expected arrival of Israel Folau in 2013, Toutai is jockeying with Morgan, Blair, Sio, Mullaney, Radradra, Loko, Gilbert and Mackenzie for one of 3 or 4 spots in our backline. The standard combination of personal form, the form of the others and injuries will dictate whether Toutai debuts next year. Selected for the NSW Origin Pathways Camp. Despite his age, according to the club he has graduated from the NYC to a full-time contract.

Luke Ukielotu (Backrow): A Coffs Harbour local (a talent cache that has given us players like Greg Inglis, Nathan Smith, Kevin Gordon and Forty20 :p ), Uikelotu falls into the same boat as Jon Pepa having secured a Wentorthville contract on the back of consistent effort in the Toyota Cup. Standing at 193cm with a batting average of 100 on the scales, Uikelotu has a frame that will allow him to compete well in the NSW Cup. Once again the mantra of hard work and commitment rings true if Luke is to over-take more fancied forward prospects such as Tanginoa, Masinamua and Terepo.

Jason Wehbe (Half): Enigmatic. Wehbe has been in our junior systems for some time but has rarely lived up to the hype that has occasionally accompanied his progression through our representative squads. Often accused of failing to take control of his team as well as being defensively suspect, Wehbe was promoted to the NSW Cup in order to prove he was worthy of a part-time contract. The most noteworthy tool in Wehbe’s arsenal is his prodigious boot, which is equally effective in general play and goal kicking. He will start 2013 behind a number of others such as Seage and Barba in the halves and will likely struggle to crack first grade. Wehbe's odds don't look like improving any time soon as Wehbe is not training with the NRL squad.

Toyota Cup/NYC

Connor Broadhurst (Centre/Wing): Connor was part of the victorious Cane Toad U/18’s team in the curtain raiser to Origin II this year. Despite his eligibility for the SG Ball, Broadhurst played 9 games in the Toyota Cup between round 8 and round 24. While he did not excel in his first showings in the Toyota Cup, it is important to remember that accelerated players like Broadhurst, Makelim, Clay, J.Folau and J.Hopoate would normally be playing against 17-18 year olds. 2013 shapes up as a big season for all of these kids as they bridge the divide in experience and size that handicapped them this year.

Zac Clay (Half/Hooker): Debuted in our NYC team at the tender age of 17. Clay has spent time at both halfback and hooker and is considered an outstanding prospect. He did some nice things this year, despite the age discrepancy and our NYC team running second last. He is at astronomical odds of debuting in first grade in 2013 but he may get the push to NSW Cup, though a year in the Toyota Cup would do him little harm. One to look out for in the future.

Corey Makelim (Fullback): Continuing with the promotion of youth, Makelim was one of our SG Ball players that saw extensive time in the Toyota Cup. He scored some excellent tries from fullback and laid on several more with some slick passing. On the whole he did well playing behind an inconsistent forward pack and a halves pairing that varied from week to week. He will face competition from our new recruit Isaiah Mosese for the No.1 jersey.

Frazer Masinamua (Prop/Backrow): A NSW U/18’s representative and NYC mainstay. Frazer is capable of playing in both the front-row as well as packing into the back of the scrum. Noted for his aggressive nature, Masinamua is not afraid to get in the face of the opposition; a trait that is uncommon at Parramatta. He also has a solid work rate with and without possession and has the ability to consistently offload. Out of all of the young forwards in both the NYC and NSW Cup, Masinamua would be the most likely to relish the combative nature of first grade. Selected for the NSW Origin Pathways Camp. Currently training with the first grade squad.

Chad McGill (Hooker/Backrow): One of three Australian Schoolboy representatives in our NYC team, McGill debuted in the Toyota Cup towards the latter part of the season. He played most of his footy off the bench, slotting into the backrow where he performed capably without standing out. In 2013 McGill should be looking to secure a place as a regular starter in our Toyota Cup team.

Pauli Pauli (Backrow/Prop): No relation to Fui Fui. Australian Schoolboy and NSW U/18’s representative. Pauli is big and fast and has an offload with a passing resemblance to that of one Feleti Mateo. He has the build and skill to succeed at higher levels but it is always difficult to tell if the right temperament is there. Assuming our club continues to promote NYC players to the NSW Cup, he will be a good chance to play there next year and from there it is possible that good form may see him play first grade. Currently training with the first grade squad.

Junior Paulo (Prop): Tipping the scales at a colossal 116Kg and not lacking for height (190cm), Paulo is the most physically intimidating member of our Toyota Cup squad. Paulo showed this season that he could throw his massive frame around and generate some devastating offence but he needs to find consistency. With fellow book-ends Eisenhuth and Key moving on to the NSW Cup, Paulo needs to assume the mantle of the leader of our forward pack and utilise his size and experience to show he can dominate the Toyota Cup week in and week out in 2013.

Kaysa Pritchard (Hooker/Half/Lock): Like Marmin Barba, Kaysa is the younger brother of a renowned Bulldog, in this case Frank Pritchard. Pritchard is a livewire hooker who can wreak havoc around the ruck with his acceleration. During this season he also played at lock where he displayed a phenomenal defensive engine, regularly making between 50-60 tackles a game. Unfortunately he does not take after his brother in size and shares a build similar to that of Marmin. As with Marmin, he could still make it purely on skill, determination and hard work. Currently training with the first grade squad.

Kelepi Tanginoa (Backrow/Centre): Our other dual Australian Schoolboy and NSW U/18’s representative. Kelepi is probably the best NRL prospect out of the current NYC team. Tanginoa is quick and robust and most importantly, he has an uncanny knack of breaking tackles. Usually plays in the second row but has filled in at centre on occasion. He should be playing NSW Cup sooner rather than later with decent odds of cracking first grade. Selected for the NSW Origin Pathways Camp. Currently training with the first grade squad.

Joseph Ualesi (Backrow): A regular member of the NYC backrow, Ualesi earns less plaudits than his backrow companions Masinamua, Tanginoa and Pauli Pauli. Despite this he is a consistent performer and may be the type of player that quietly transitions to NSW Cup and slowly builds towards a NRL debut.

Luke Vescio (Hooker): Recruited from Manly for the 2012 season, Vescio is a former Australian Schoolboy and a regular fixture of our Toyota Cup team. He is a tireless worker who was rewarded for his consistent form with the team captaincy, which he held until injury laid him off mid-season. Vescio is a long-term project but may well prove to be a quality hooker.

SG Ball

Tepai Moeroa (Backrow/Centre): Tepai’s sporting talents extend beyond playing a dominant role in the backrow of our SG Ball team. He is also a highly rated rugby union centre and a national champion in shot-put. His diverse sporting portfolio and sheer physical prowess are similar to another well-known schoolboy superstar in Jarryd Hayne, who was also a national track and field champion in his day (in his case, hurdling). Considered the most talented junior in our ranks by Jake the snake, no small honour given the presence of 3 Australian Schoolboys in the NYC. Moeroa will likely be at the centre of a tug-of-war between rugby league and union as they look to secure his talents. Selected in the ARU Australian Sevens team. Contract status with Parramatta unknown.

Kadince Christensen (Backrow): The first of our two junior signings from New Zealand, Christensen was named captain of this year's NZ U/16's Merit team. Our recruitment guru, Peter Nolan, has noted that he plays in the mould of NRL superstar Paul Gallen. I imagine that someone as experienced as Nolan would not make such a comparison lightly so Kadince will come to Parramatta with big expectations.

Harold Matts

Tyrell Fuimaono (Backrow): NSW U/16 Representative

Dillon Khoury (Fullback)

Jason Tramontana (Hooker)

Alex Twal (Prop): NSW U/16 Representative

The New Boys

Josh Aloiai (Backrow): The elder of our two New Zealand recruits and a member of the New Zealand Schoolboys squad at the age of 17. According to our media report, he is still new to rugby league which leaves him with room to grow. On the whole he is an unknown quantity but it will be exciting to see him turn out in the Toyota Cup.

Erevonu Tuicaumatalevu Kamikamica (Backrow/Prop): Hails from the same island as Semi Radradra and is most likely, our most exciting NYC recruit. He is known as ‘Tui’ and is not only a national rugby union representative (and considered one of their best prospects) but is also a 400m sprint champion. We beat quite a few parties to secure his signature and I imagine he comes to the club with high expectations. He is something of a wildcard in terms of a first grade debut. Logic dictates he will take time to transition to the 13-man code but if he clicks earlier than expected he has a huge amount of potential.

Isaiah Mosese (Fullback/Wing?): Our latest NYC signing. Isaiah comes from the Melbourne Rebels via both the QLD Reds and Western Force systems. Stagger says he is a good’un and the transition from the traditional 15-man union fullback to league outside back is fairly smooth (just don’t kick the bloody ball) so he may end up contesting the NYC fullback spot sooner rather than later. Currently training with the first grade squad.

Notable Omissions & Even Newer Boys (or alternatively, I am too lazy right now!)

John Folau (Centre/Wing) & Jamil Hopoate (Backrow): The younger siblings of our (speculated) two marquee signings. Both are impressive prospects but both are still young and neither had an extended run in the Toyota Cup this year. 2013 will give them both a chance to shine in a hopefully resurgent U/20's team.

Api Pewhairangi (Half/Centre/Utility?): Signed from the Newcastle Knights. Will turn out for Wenty and has some versatility about him. As with Brayden, I hope to hear some positive news about his progress throughout the off-season.

Aorere Pewhairangi (Centre/Wing): Younger brother of Api and an U17 Maori representative, Aorere will feature in our SG Ball squad in 2013.

James Tuiatahi (Wing/Centre): Nuggety and powerful outsideback. Selected for the NSW Origin Pathways Camp.

Tyrone Viiga (Prop): A Wentworthville recruit by way of the Cronulla NYC squad. Recommended by Ricky Stuart himself, Viiga is a physically intimidating unit at 190cm and 111Kg and was the Players' Player for Shark's NYC squad despite spending time in the NSW Cup in 2012. An unknown quantity at Parramatta by definitely one to watch in 2013.

Brayden Wiliame (Centre/Wing/Fullback): Signed from the Melbourne Storm. Like Api, he will turn out for Wenty. He is 189cm and weighs around 90Kg, so he has a decent frame for an outside back. I will update his write-up with any pre-season information that trickles through.

*Although Rory Brien and Lorenzo Ma'afu have debuted, they count as a rookies under the Dally M system

Too Long; Didn't Read
Possible Candidates

NSW Cup
  • Marmin Barba
  • Rory Brien
  • Ken Edwards
  • Matthew Eisenhuth
  • Dylan Gilbert
  • Trent Jennings (Scratched)
  • Toby Key
  • Lorenzo Ma'afu
  • Jerome Mackenzie
  • Jon Pepa
  • Semi Radradra
  • Jason Seage
  • Peni Terepo
  • Vai Toutai
  • Luke Uikelotu
  • Jason Wehbe
Toyota Cup
  • Connor Broadhurst
  • Zac Clay
  • Corey Makelim
  • Frazer Masinamua
  • Chad McGill
  • Pauli Pauli
  • Junior Paulo
  • Kaysa Pritchard
  • Kelepi Tanginoa
  • Joseph Ualesi
  • Luke Vescio

SG Ball
  • Tepai Moeroa
  • Kadince Christensen

Harold Matts
  • Tyrell Fuimaono
  • Dillon Khoury
  • Jason Tramontana
  • Alex Twal

New Recruits
  • Josh Aloiai
  • Erevonu Tuicaumatalevu Kamikamica
  • Isaiah Mosese

Notable Ommisions
  • John Folau
  • Jamil Hopoate
  • Api Pewhairangi
  • Aorere Pewhairangi
  • James Tuitahi
  • Tyrone Viiga
  • Brayden Wiliame

Major Edit 1: Moved Toby Key from NYC to NSW Cup as I occasionally struggle to tell the difference between a 2 and a 3.
Major Edit 2: Added a line to the write up on Trent Jennings, noting speculation from Stagger Eel that he may not be with the club in 2013.
Major Edit 3: Added Dylan Gilbert on the recommendation of I bleed blue and gold, updated the information on Trent Jennings and Jason Wehbe.
Major Edit 4: Big update with additions to the NSW Cup, NYC, SG Ball and Harold Matts.
Major Edit 5: Added Kadince Christensen to the SG Ball
Major Edit 6: Added Junior Paulo to Toyota Cup and Api Pewhairangi, Aorere Pewhairangi and Brayden Wiliame to the Notable Omissions list.
Major Edit 7: Added players selected for NSW Origin Pathway Camp, NYC Players training with the first grade squad. Mentioned James Tuitahi and Tyrone Viiga. Moved Vai Toutai to the NSW Cup in light of the 29/11/12 media statement. Updated Moeroa to reflect his selection in the ARU Sevens team. Added very brief entries on Ken Edwards and Lorenzo Ma'afu.

Last edited:

Forty20

First Grade
Good post mate. I too am always keen to see new kids make their debuts.

Poupy, I enjoy it tremendously when you talk football as your arguments are always detailed and compelling. However your constant (and horrifically successful, may I add) baiting of tired and rehashed crap is incredibly frustrating. You certainly aren't alone in this but as one of the more insightful and articulate posters with genuinely interesting football knowledge to be shared, it certainly feels like you are wasting your time and effort trolling the same ground over and over.

All that said, it is the off-season and it certainly does amplify boredom and frustration...especially coming off the back of a rough NRL campaign.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing you talk some more footy in the upcoming weeks champ!

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Great read to start off my day. Well done dude. I love reading/writing these kind of things. One other smokey you could put in your NSW Cup team list would be Dylon Gilbert.

attamarrap

Juniors
I know Pauli Pauli is young but I would not bet surprised to see him debut sooner than later

Forty20

First Grade
Good read - is Toby keys still eligible for under 20's next year ?

I think he turned 20 early in the year.

I would have sworn his DOB was 1993 when I checked it yesterday but you are correct, he will turn out for Wenty only next year.

Great read to start off my day. Well done dude. I love reading/writing these kind of things. One other smokey you could put in your NSW Cup team list would be Dylon Gilbert.

I contemplated adding Gilbert originally but laziness go the better of me, I will do a write up for him later today.

Thanks to everyone for the nice words! The off-season is a killer for footy talk, but if there is enough interest in posts like this, I am happy to run Player of the Day/Week threads to focus discussion on the context of a single player with in our team. Something along the line of noted strengths and weaknesses, expectations for 2013 or potential positional changes or in general what you want to say about them in a footy context.

Alternatively or additionally, given our dire lack of team lists in recent times I can run a series of posts with polls (Fullback, Wing, Centres, Halves etc) that will elect our 2013 line up on popular opinion. If you guys and gals are interested and more importantly keen to post discussion in such threads, I will be happy to oblige :)

Mr_E

Juniors
I actually like Frazer Masinamua. He is like a youger, more agressive Fuifui. Just needs to cut out the fighting.

Let Fui guide him and bring him through. Parra needs at least one of this type of player, the wild man! We have too many nice forwards. I guess that is why we are going after Hock.

Frazer to replace Fui. Bring him on.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Good read 40!

I could be wrong but I believe Trent Jennings won't be at the club and I don't even think he's in wentys plans although I can't confirm that

Forty20

First Grade
Good read 40!

I could be wrong but I believe Trent Jennings won't be at the club and I don't even think he's in wentys plans although I can't confirm that

Cheers Stagger. I'll add that to his write up.

Are there any more significant NYC recruits that I missed?