What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roos v T-Hawks - Thoughts

Jeffles

Bench
Now is the AMNRL's chance! The result looks good on paper and the publicity they got from today is as good as it will get.

Time to get out there and getting more teams. The current set up of 8 teams has been given too much credit and attention by people on this forum. They need to grow.

I am sure the Aussies were hungover and jetlagged. Factor in the USA imports and this hardly speaks volumes for the AMNRL.

But credit where it is due. The USA did not embarrass themselves. Well done.

Costaki

Juniors
i take my hat of to them.
david nui has done a GREAT job over in america and i really hope that this match dose get heaps more americans into this great game of ours

The Colonel

Immortal
Looks good on paper. The best team in the world didn't play like it however they have just won the Tri-Nations on Saturday night, travelled 5440 km by plane and bus, had one training session and played the game on a foreign surface and with large headaches due to alcohol and jet lag no doubt.

I can forgive them for the scoreline however the way in which the game was played probably needs looking at. If the Yanks are happy then I can't say I'm too unhappy.....

yappy

Bench
Look the Aussies first half was abyssmal. Wests in 99 put in better first halfs. They simply weren't having anything like a go. Mason was laughing his head off. Also I can't believe how thin the field was. I knew it was skinny - but THAT skinny? No wonder they pass the bloody ball forward. Even the second half was a LONG way short of what the team can produce, but more than enough.

Having said all that - 10 out of 10 to the Americans! They were so enthusiastic (won't say anything about how many penalties for flops they should have conceded). They muscled up and with the skinny field they were able to neutralise most of the Australian attack. Their basic skill level was much greater than I'd expected. Congrats to Carty as well as Sideshow and Brandon who clearly got them playing a good simple structure suited to their ability. If they get more games with a few of these professional players in their ranks and quality coaching like Cartwright they will develop well.

Whilst the viewers weren't treated to anything like the full gamut of skills that top quality Rugby League can display, hopefully they will have seen enough to whet the appetite and start watching NRL and supporting the development of the game over there. Hopefully we'll go back again next year to keep things moving forward.

Victor Trumper

Juniors
Jeffles said:
Now is the AMNRL's chance! The result looks good on paper and the publicity they got from today is as good as it will get.

Time to get out there and getting more teams. The current set up of 8 teams has been given too much credit and attention by people on this forum. They need to grow.

I am sure the Aussies were hungover and jetlagged. Factor in the USA imports and this hardly speaks volumes for the AMNRL.

But credit where it is due. The USA did not embarrass themselves. Well done.

I agree. I thought when the idea of a US v Aus match was first metioned was a dumb idea. However credit to all involved for the outcome both on and off feild. Igonre the Aus performance and promote the US, thats what other games do and it is what the US should do. If this doesn't provide the ipmetus for serious growth in the game in the US then I don't know what will.

Kris_man

Bench
yeah, it's great to see bonafide Americans such as Costin and Petersen put up such a good fight :roll:

Dakink

Bench
And Petero Civadeceva (or however you spell it) is a bonafide Australian? Or Lote Tiquiri or anyof the other islanders\kiwis (eg Carroll or was he an Aussie playing for NZ?) currently plying their trade forAUS?

NPK

Bench
Dakink said:
And Petero Civadeceva (or however you spell it) is a bonafide Australian? Or Lote Tiquiri or anyof the other islanders\kiwis (eg Carroll or was he an Aussie playing for NZ?) currently plying their trade forAUS?

Even though Petero was born in Fiji, if you heard him talk with your eyes closed, he sounds as Aussie as anyone. He played really well today..even made 2 big busts from kickoffs!

gaterooze

Bench
We thought the game was a blast -- Aussies were clearly off their game, taking it easy in the first half, but the Yanks played some good footy and earnt their lead.

Second half the Aussies were more fired up (Lockyer was really trying hard all game), but the Yanks did extremely well to keep the score fairly low. Good on 'em!

They are a fair way off being a serious threat, but they put in a good effort today and are justifiably proud of it. Also liked that the team wasn't stacked with imports (only Peterson/Costin), some of the home-grown guys really stood up.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Just on the game

Yes they had 2 players who were not real Americans in Petersen and Costin but other then that there were not any imports there were some Americans who are now playing elsewhere such as Ian Blake and then locals.

As for the width of the field, the unlimited interchange and the surface. Both teams played under the same condtions it's not like the US had unlimited intercharge and Australia went under the 12-4 rule. It's not like when the US had the ball all of the sudden the field was 12 metres wider.

I really enjoyed the game a lot more then the joke of a Tri Nations final.

Yes Australia were not in top gear but even when Australia started to click in the 2nd half the USA still didn't embarass themselves.

1st Qtr: USA 12-0
2nd Qtr: USA 12-6
3rd Qtr: Aus 18-0
4th Qtr: Aus 12-0

Nothing at all wrong with that at all.

yappy

Bench
As for the width of the field, the unlimited interchange and the surface. Both teams played under the same condtions it's not like the US had unlimited intercharge and Australia went under the 12-4 rule. It's not like when the US had the ball all of the sudden the field was 12 metres wider.

You're kidding aren't you? Anyone with half a brain can see that shaving 20m off the width of the field has to be a massive boost to the weaker side. Do you really think the Americans were dissappointed about missing the opportunity to unveil their sweeping backline movements? Are you sure you've ever actually watched a game of football?

Tomahawk

Staff member
Well I have had time to relax and know I am going to give you Tomahawk’s opinions about the match.

First let me talk about the first match-up between the Coogee Dolphins and the Glen Mills Bulls. It was a great match let me say that. I wish this match could have been televised for all to see. The Dolphins could not have been better guest. I would extend an invitation for the Dolphins to come play the Bulls anytime.

To start of the Bulls played without several of their keys players. Mike Edwards former Tomahawk and Bull starter retired after the 2004 AMNRL championship. Also several Bulls players played for the Tomahawks. These players included Joe Becker, Ryan Coleman, Kevin Deal, Erik Hollingsworth, Shayne Mains, Ed Woodbridge, and Marcus Vassilakopoulos. Also not playing was Bulls founder Dave Nui. So with the Bulls missing all those players that must be taken into account.

As for the match itself it was a great match. The Bulls welcomed back Cory Sheridan who sustained a hand/wrist injury half way during the 2004 season. The Bulls were without its one two punch on Mains and Woodbridge lost a lot of their big hits. Then lost was bothVassilakopoulos and Nui who are known for getting the ball around the field. It was just to many players lost for the Bulls to make a strong showing. Scoring for the Bulls were Chris Craig and Ryan Kiniry.

The Dolphins red zone defense also came up huge a couple of times. They stopped the Bulls 3 times when the Bulls were within 5 yards of scoring. The Dolphins came to play, and fought until the last second.

For the US vs. Australia match, I herd a lot of people’s opinion and saw it first hand also. I herd in pre-match warm-ups the Australian players were laughing and throwing the ball around like kids. It sounded like they were not taking the match seriously at all. The Americans, most knowing that they did not have a chance in hell, came out fired up. They played fast footy and got back on defense quickly. Everything that the Americans had to execute they were executing. At times the ball was just falling into their hands.

Danny Bull played like I never have seen, scoring the first and second try. The Americans had a never die attitude, and they stunned the Australians. The Austrians were running the ball in the first half very slow, and were not getting back on defense.

During the half time intermission I think the Australians were thinking they were dreaming. Someone must have slapped them, for they woke up and started to play good footy in the 3rd and 4th quarters. They started to play Kangaroo footy on both sides of the field, offense and defense. They blanketed the Americans the 2nd half.

However, rain started to fall late in the 3rd quarter. This also favored the Americans. The Australians had a terrible time holding onto the ball in the rain. Also I think the weather had an effect, it was about 45 degrees.

Outstanding players for the Tomahawks I would have to say were Smith, Hollingsworth, and Bull. However, it was an entire team effort. This team was the best American team I have ever seen. The Americans can be and should be a force to be wreck in with.

Tomahawk

NPK

Bench
Tomahawk said:
Well I have had time to relax and know I am going to give you Tomahawk’s opinions about the match.

First let me talk about the first match-up between the Coogee Dolphins and the Glen Mills Bulls. It was a great match let me say that. I wish this match could have been televised for all to see. The Dolphins could not have been better guest. I would extend an invitation for the Dolphins to come play the Bulls anytime.

To start of the Bulls played without several of their keys players. Mike Edwards former Tomahawk and Bull starter retired after the 2004 AMNRL championship. Also several Bulls players played for the Tomahawks. These players included Joe Becker, Ryan Coleman, Kevin Deal, Erik Hollingsworth, Shayne Mains, Ed Woodbridge, and Marcus Vassilakopoulos. Also not playing was Bulls founder Dave Nui. So with the Bulls missing all those players that must be taken into account.

As for the match itself it was a great match. The Bulls welcomed back Cory Sheridan who sustained a hand/wrist injury half way during the 2004 season. The Bulls were without its one two punch on Mains and Woodbridge lost a lot of their big hits. Then lost was bothVassilakopoulos and Nui who are known for getting the ball around the field. It was just to many players lost for the Bulls to make a strong showing. Scoring for the Bulls were Chris Craig and Ryan Kiniry.

The Dolphins red zone defense also came up huge a couple of times. They stopped the Bulls 3 times when the Bulls were within 5 yards of scoring. The Dolphins came to play, and fought until the last second.

For the US vs. Australia match, I herd a lot of people’s opinion and saw it first hand also. I herd in pre-match warm-ups the Australian players were laughing and throwing the ball around like kids. It sounded like they were not taking the match seriously at all. The Americans, most knowing that they did not have a chance in hell, came out fired up. They played fast footy and got back on defense quickly. Everything that the Americans had to execute they were executing. At times the ball was just falling into their hands.

Danny Bull played like I never have seen, scoring the first and second try. The Americans had a never die attitude, and they stunned the Australians. The Austrians were running the ball in the first half very slow, and were not getting back on defense.

During the half time intermission I think the Australians were thinking they were dreaming. Someone must have slapped them, for they woke up and started to play good footy in the 3rd and 4th quarters. They started to play Kangaroo footy on both sides of the field, offense and defense. They blanketed the Americans the 2nd half.

However, rain started to fall late in the 3rd quarter. This also favored the Americans. The Australians had a terrible time holding onto the ball in the rain. Also I think the weather had an effect, it was about 45 degrees.

Outstanding players for the Tomahawks I would have to say were Smith, Hollingsworth, and Bull. However, it was an entire team effort. This team was the best American team I have ever seen. The Americans can be and should be a force to be wreck in with.

Tomahawk

Nice wrap-up. Thanks..had not heard anything at all about the Coogee-Bulls game.
Just a minor thing, Peterson scored the first try and we are Australia, not Austria ;-)

Dakink

Bench
What was the crowd reaction and what were people talking about afterwards. Any positive's?

Big Bunny

Juniors
The one thing that annoyed me was the college students (both male and female) interviewed were saying how they play the game, when they only play union. It's like they are quite happy to see the game as another boost in helping their own code grow.

Hurriflatch

Referee
yappy said:

You're kidding aren't you? Anyone with half a brain can see that shaving 20m off the width of the field has to be a massive boost to the weaker side. Do you really think the Americans were dissappointed about missing the opportunity to unveil their sweeping backline movements? Are you sure you've ever actually watched a game of football?

:roll:

Well you are a Magpies fan so brains don't usually come into the picture

Latest posts