What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters/Easts fans.....

JJ

Immortal
:lol: :lol:

There seem to be a whole lot of you , and you all have opinions :oops: , so I have a question...

What is the Roosters fans view of Hugh McGahan? How much did he contribute on and off the field at Easts (as it was)? As a Kiwi, I thought he was a phenomenal player, but we didn't get a lot of TV covereage back then of the Sydney comp.

Bengal

Juniors
Great player. Great bloke.
Wasn't to flash in the commentating arena:lol: but boy he sure has aged well 8)

He came to the club with a big reputation and he was a loyal warhorse but unfortunately for Hugh, Easts were not a real premiership threat during that period. Apart from 1987, Easts did not feature in the semis. If McGahan had been with the Roosters during the present era he may of made more of an impact. I thought he was a good player but I certainly wouldn't call him a great.

JJ

Immortal
I thought he was a good player but I certainly wouldn't call him a great.

:lol: I just love arguing with you Rooster. He did win the Golden Boot as the best player in the world - surely that's some credential for being labelled great?

He is certainly (with Mark Graham) viewed as the best players we produced in that generation ( I like Mark Broadhurst myself). I guess, as you say, both Hugh and Mark Graham were loyal servants to struggling teams.

But I am surprised at your lack of enthusiasm regarding him, you suggest he gave his all, given he was one of the ebst players in the world I'd have thought you would gave rated him more highly

tonton

Juniors
JJ said:
But I am surprised at your lack of enthusiasm regarding him, you suggest he gave his all, given he was one of the ebst players in the world I'd have thought you would gave rated him more highly

The only person Cogburn rates highly is himself.

JJ said:
I thought he was a good player but I certainly wouldn't call him a great.

:lol: I just love arguing with you Rooster. He did win the Golden Boot as the best player in the world - surely that's some credential for being labelled great?

He is certainly (with Mark Graham) viewed as the best players we produced in that generation ( I like Mark Broadhurst myself). I guess, as you say, both Hugh and Mark Graham were loyal servants to struggling teams.

You asked for an opinion and I gave you mine. I saw a lot of McGahan in action and I'd say that I saw more of him than some fat arsed, red faced judge in England. As I said Hugh was a good player but that's as far as I'll go. I thought John Tobin, Ian Barclay and Paul McCabe were better players. As far as you arguing with me goes, you came off second best in the Sherlock debate so I suggest you quit while you're behind! ;-) :lol:

JJ

Immortal
whatever... SHerlock was one of the worst All Blacks ever - I remember that tour now, it was very much a 3rd string squad, drew (I think) a test with the Argies, and Sherlock couldn't even make the test side.

My original comment was he was the worst player in a great Auckland side, and a very ordinary league player! Obviously I didn't recall him being an All Black, as he was an incredibly fogettable player. You didn't really know he was an All Black, you just assumed he was - I doubt that you could name more than a handful of All Blacks anyway (not that you want to).

As for the fat aresed judges - you're saying they always get it wrong? (Wally Lewis, Brett Kenny, Ellery Hanley, Stacey Jones, Andrew Johns etc?), or they just got it wrong with McGahan?

JJ said:
You didn't really know he was an All Black, you just assumed he was - I doubt that you could name more than a handful of All Blacks anyway (not that you want to).?

On the contrary, I did remember reading when he joined Easts that Sherlock was an All black that's why I mentioned it in the first place. It turned out that I was right and you were wrong! And yes you are correct about one thing, I couldn't name too many All black players. I am not a fan of Yawnion!

JJ said:
:lol: :lol:

There seem to be a whole lot of you , and you all have opinions :oops: , so I have a question...

What is the Roosters fans view of Hugh McGahan? How much did he contribute on and off the field at Easts (as it was)? As a Kiwi, I thought he was a phenomenal player, but we didn't get a lot of TV covereage back then of the Sydney comp.

He had one stellar season - in 1987. The rest of the time he was a good player. Somewhat enigmatic, a little inconsistent. But like Cogburn said, apart from 1987 when we had a great pack (Tony Rampling, Trewhella, Danny Shephard, etc.), he was always in struggling teams and, ultimately, this probably prevented him from always showing his best football. Had he played for, say, Manly or Canberra or Balmain at that time, we might be speaking of him as an all-time great.

Latest posts