What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters mourn loss of two Life Members

Latest News

Roosters mourn loss of two Life Members

Author: Sydney Roosters
Sunday, 25 January 2004

Barry Van Heekeren (7 March 1932 - 25/1/04)
The Sydney Roosters have mourned the passing of their longest serving staff member, Barry Van Heekeren after a long battle with cancer.

Honoured with Life Membership of the Roosters in 2002, Barry was involved with the club for 54 years, playing in Roosters lower grades in 1951 & 1952, a variety of coaching stints at the Roosters as well as the first National
Coach of Papua New Guinea in 1966. He was appointed Operations Manager in 1972 and has held this position throughout.

In his time with the Roosters, Barry built up a wealth of knowledge working with some of the greats of the club.

Barry Van Heekeren will be remembered as a man who knew all involved with the club since 1951. He takes with him a wealth of knowledge, friendships and rugby league history.

Funeral details for Barry have been confirmed below:

Friday 30th January, 10.30am

St James' Anglican Church, 173 King Street, Sydney

Sadly, the Sydney Roosters have also mourned the loss of a second Life Member, Carl Ward.

Carl passed away on Friday 23 January after a long illness, he was indected as a Life Member in 1998.

Funeral details for Carl have been confirmed below:

Thursday 29th January, 12.15pm

Eastern Suburbs Crematorium, West Chapel

http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au/latestnews.php?ID=564

It is always sad when we lose supporters who have played such a big part of our history and tradition.

ozzie

Bench
it is a shame - I give my sympathies to their families. I would also like to wish that i could give the services to the clubthat these guys did