What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters plan to lure Lote

bazza

Immortal
JK said:
To keep the thread away from only Rooster bashing and lame (yet passionate) defences what do people think about an equivalent of the 'Club GB' or whatever it is called - money paid by the ESL to top players that supplements the salary to the level they would get in union.

I don't really like the idea of a "Club Australia" where the top 10 players or so would get extra money from the NRL or ARL. Issues with this are that the top players could come from 2 or 3 clubs and this would be seen as extra help for clubs who don't need it.

What I would advocate if you want more money for the top players to stop them changing cods is to have higher payments for rep games (around equivalent for a Wallabies game)

If you look at the ARU money, the players get most of it when they play a test. Each player gets something like 10-15 thousand each test - and they can play over 10 per year

Freak

Juniors
Lote has the union world at his feet!!
If anyone seriously thinks he will be making a return they have got rocks in their heads.
All this talk is identical to Johns going to Rugby. It is simply to put the final purchase price up!!

Kaching$$$$!!!

Raider_69 said:
Cross would be a prized signing by almost anyone
as long as he stays injury free this year

Let's hope so, he suffered some horific injuries and has come back. The Club was very supportive during that time, so I hope he stays with League.

JK

I don't like the name change - which mod did that one?

The original title 'Roosters find money for Lote behind couch' was much better and was at least vaguely humorous. Why the hell was it changed?

Very strange. I have seen many worse titles get by just fine.

legend

Coach
Yes but all clubs know the price tag he would command would be at least 500k per year and IMO, no winger is worth that. I'm sure the Broncos wouldn't pay that because it's bad business to spendabout 15% of your cap on one player who will see the ball on vry few occasions.

Kurt Sherlock, this is not a Rooster bashing thread, I just find the mere suggestion of salary cap exemption ridiculous for Tuqiri and no one else has asked for one.

Grantwhy

Juniors
JK said:
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8855378-23209,00.html
By Bret Harris
March 3, 2004

THE Sydney Roosters may join the race to lure dual international winger Lote Tuqiri back to rugby league from rugby union.

The Roosters' interest in Tuqiri will be influenced by whether their captain and five-eighth Brad Fittler decides to retire after this season.

No Brad Fittler = a heck of a lot of money freed up for the Rooster.

Without Fittler retiring/moving the Roosters don't have the money to bid for Tuqiri.

Fibroman

First Grade
I heard Fittler took a ' pay cut ' this year out of the goodness of his heart. Even if he went, there still wouldn't be enough money to lure Tuquiri. But the goosters continuously seem to be able to sign big name players, some how, and find money to pay their bills????

fizman

Bench
I can DEFINATELY 100% confirm the 2 options that Tiquiri is considering. Firstly, it is still possible that he will stay with the Waratahs. The ONLY other club he will play for IS the Roosters.

He will not be playing for the Reds, Brumbies OR Broncos.

Grantwhy

Juniors
fibro man said:
I heard Fittler took a ' pay cut ' this year out of the goodness of his heart. Even if he went, there still wouldn't be enough money to lure Tuquiri. But the goosters continuously seem to be able to sign big name players, some how, and find money to pay their bills????

Even with a 'pay cut' I think Fittler is still the highest paid player this season (at a guess $500,000-ish ?).

For Tuquiri, about $300,000, maybe $350,000 would be the (RL) market price?

Kaz

junior
legend said:
I just find the mere suggestion of salary cap exemption ridiculous for Tuqiri and no one else has asked for one.

When he was thinking of going to Union the Broncos asked for an exemption.

The reply from the NRL was basically.

TOO BAD SO SAD.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Grantwhy said:
JK said:
By Bret Harris
March 3, 2004

THE Sydney Roosters may join the race to lure dual international winger Lote Tuqiri back to rugby league from rugby union.

The Roosters' interest in Tuqiri will be influenced by whether their captain and five-eighth Brad Fittler decides to retire after this season.

Without Fittler retiring/moving the Roosters don't have the money to bid for Tuqiri.

I thought Fittler took a pay cut?

Tuqiri would surely cost nearly twice Fittlers wage.

Grantwhy

Juniors
El Duque said:
Grantwhy said:
JK said:
By Bret Harris
March 3, 2004

I thought Fittler took a pay cut?

Tuqiri would surely cost nearly twice Fittlers wage.

Untill last season Fittler was still on a contract signed during the SL/ARL war. $500,000 would be a pay cut on that :shock:

Pigskin

Juniors
its really humourous from up here north of the border watching this saga unfold

Sailor and Tuquiri leave the Broncs, Broncs ask for help retaining marquee players and all the sydney clubs and hierachy say "jam it"

2 players the Broncs developed from nothing I might add, not poached from the Roosters or any other club as internationals

now the Roosters challenge the salary cap and conveniently have a couple of aging stars at the time that become dispensible

Roosters with Dorn at 5/8 and Tuquiri on a wing would be an inferior side to todays anyway .... and lets face it, footy is all Fittler has ever known, he's the type of guy that will play as long as he can .... bit like Alfie

its all just mixed up .... marquee players switching clubs is bad for the game (Union excluded) .... fans/sponsors/public don't relate to them

keys here are making it compulsory to pump dollars into developing your own, giving big discounts toward the cap for home grown and long serving players

even if we could wind back the clock a few years, I wouldn't want to see Andrew Johns or Brad Fittler or Matt Geyer or Simon Woolford or Nathan Cayless or Lance Thompson or Steve Price or any other one-club marquee player in a Broncos jersey

if a player like Walkout goes money grabbing and your club is fool enough to sign him, then congrats to you .... but its not my style .... best decision the Broncs ever made rejecting Walkout's pleas to come back

poach them early enough when they are promising youngsters while meeting your cap responsibilities and they want to go, good riddance - Hodges falls in this category imo

just my thoughts
not necessarily correct

Oink !

Crippler

Juniors
i found it funny when Tuqiri was talking to the media saying he was enjoying the year ahead in rugby only to be told by a journalist that he actually signed for two years of which Lote looked surprised with.

maybe he didnt want to stay with union for 2 years and cant wait to come back to league

melon....

Coach
You clowns have no idea. Easts are losing a playmaker and have a representative backline. Why buy another Winger? Centre? Fullback? Easts cant match Unions offer. Easts have said that much, and although they are quoted as being interested, how many times have high profile players been linked to Easts, simply because it raises their value.

Some idiot here was definite Barret was to become a Rooster after Fittler left. Then he turns around and signs with the Dragons for life.

Some fools are saying Cross is leaving at the end of the year because Easts wont be able to keep him due to the cap. How the hell are they going to sign Lote who will cost more than Cross??? You blokes need to take whats in the papers with a grain of salt. Ive never seen more gullable fans.

PB

Bench
melon.... said:
You clowns have no idea. Easts are losing a playmaker and have a representative backline. Why buy another Winger? Centre? Fullback?

Yeah, why would Easts need a winger in Tiquri when they have Walker and Byrne....... ;-)

I hope he stays in Union. I have enjoyed watching him carve it up over there and he is starting to get even better. So i think he should stay, and earn himself some big $$.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Grantwhy said:
fibro man said:

Even with a 'pay cut' I think Fittler is still the highest paid player this season (at a guess $500,000-ish ?).

For Tuquiri, about $300,000, maybe $350,000 would be the (RL) market price?

grant, there is no way that the roosters are showing Fitler that much on the salary cap mate. They are way too smart for that. he would be closer to 250/300k at best.

Lote is going to cost 400k.

Latest posts