What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters push to lift salary cap.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Not all footy players are earning plenty, El. Far from it actually mate.
Sure there are those elite few (and heaven knows I'm one who beleives they're over paid something stupid) but what about the bloke who is under payed because those elite few are being over paid just to remain at the club? I feel sorry for those poor bastards...and just maybe this salary cap hike might reward those lesser knowns with the justification they deserve.
It's a long shot, but I have no doubt that many clubs will reward these unknown entities. To me that makes it worth it.
Bloody good discussion BTW. :)

V

Vertigo

Understood legend.
I don't have access to the Sydney Daily Telegraph, so my comments, where/when I questioned yours,were based on whatI read in the opening post from Infuser.
But isn't the posted article from Infuserfrom Peter Frilingos whoalsowrited forTheDaily Telegraph? Are they not the same article?
I'm guessing, for reasons I can't fathom, there were different edited versions.
Nevermind...
V.

One of the purposes of the salary cap is to avoid having the richer clubs winning the competition every year.

The Bronco's man acknowledged that some clubs could not afford it.

In my opinion if only a few clubs can afford it then it is not good for the game.

I agree with El Duque, if the CPI increase would be applied across the board to the 25 squad members then that's good, but there's no chance of that happening.

The extra money would be used to pay the top players more money. The underpaid blokes Outlaw is referring to, will still remain underpaid.

As Jason Taylor said this morning, the Roosters are pushing for this because they have seen what happened to Parra. The way the players performed in 2001 meant that the club could no longer afford to keep them all under the cap so they have gone to clubs like Canberra who are now enjoying their time in the sun.

The salary cap is working Roosters - take the good with bad like the rest of the clubs do (except the Bulldogs of course ;))

imported_midas

Juniors
An increase of $500k would simply bring the cap into line with the CPI over the last 5 years ,which would seem only fair despite what Fitzy says.
Concessions must be made for local juniors and long-serving players as nothing pisses fans off more than seeing a good team torn apart by the cap.
The efinition of local juniors has to be clearly defined as Roopy,for instance ,is adamant that players from Taree,Werris Creek,Tamworth etc who have come to the club at school -leaving age are local juniors as they have played Ball,Flegg etc.
This type of situation needs to be clearly defined.
I can,t see how you can make concessions for players targetted by Union as imo this would be open to abuse by mischievous managers or even mischievous RU officials.
I don,t see a $3.75m cap as being too tough for the lesser clubs (financially) .Most of them could trim $500k of their admin budget without any sweat.

L

legend

Maybe the Roosters had better ask for five million because they are still getting beaten so the extra $$$ might come in handy to buy another stack of first grade players.:D

So much for cheaters never prosper - Just because the Roosters didn't triumph tonightdoesn't mean they're not cheaters. A team with no heart & soul who have been screwing the competition from ARL to NRL for years. An open cheque book doesn't equate to a team that should be worthy of stay or recognition in the national competition. Least the Bulldogs know how to develope juniors through their ranks.
Agreat game which lived up to andexceeded the media's expectations, though. See what money can buy?

imported_midas

Juniors
trojan horse
you,re right about the standard of the game -it was a beauty.If dudding the salary cap leads to matches like that,then I,m in favour of dudding the salary cap
Can,t accept your point about Bulldogs juniors,though.There were only three in last night,s 17-Sherwin,El Masri and Hughes.Easts who don,t even have a junior league had two in Ricketson and Cross-doesn,t say a lot for the Dogs.

Hi there midas,
My comment re the Bulldogs juniors was a generalization of the team in the past and present years, as opposed to just last night's fielding outfit. They've developed far more juniors through there ranks over the yearsthan the Chooks ever have. I'm no Bulldogs fan, so it's not like I'm sticking up for them. They did wrong, were caught,got fined, and have moved on; the Chooks have been screwing the competition for years with there gold-plated blank cheque books.And for that,the Bodi leaches make me want to nauseate.
I'm not a fan of the salary cap increase in general, because of it's unfairness to all clubs, and it's ability to wipe clean the clubs who nourish and nuture there juniors. But I do agree with you in that If dudding the salary cap leads to matches like that,then I,m in favour of dudding the salary cap
Who in there right mind wouldn't be?

Latest posts