What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ross Taylor , Kyle Mills in, James Franklin, Jamie How out.

Iafeta

Referee
Its a bit more impressive than having a career tally that summarises your wicket's as being your one legged cousin and your grandmother.

JJ

Immortal
Iafeta said:
Its a bit more impressive than having a career tally that summarises your wicket's as being your one legged cousin and your grandmother.

I'm not from Christchurch...

I too have dismissed a NZ rep, although he was a bowler :(

JJ

Immortal
Iafeta said:
Richard De Groen and Willie Watson don't count as batsman :p

lol - it was Doull - he got a first class century... but he always gave you a shot!

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Good to see we are starting to blood some new players.

Is Taylor an opener or a high-order batsman? can he bowl at all?

Iafeta

Referee
Top order batsman.

JJ, Simon Doull was a decent hitter of the cricket ball. Didn't he hit a century against England in 1991/1992 in a first class game?

JJ

Immortal
Iafeta said:
Top order batsman.

JJ, Simon Doull was a decent hitter of the cricket ball. Didn't he hit a century against England in 1991/1992 in a first class game?

I know he got at least 1 first class 100 - top junior hocky player too - you can see that in his batting.

JamesWebster's#1fan said:
Good to see we are starting to blood some new players.

Is Taylor an opener or a high-order batsman? can he bowl at all?
no 3 or 4 batter can bowl some spinners but only part time.

edabomb

First Grade
I did a filter on cricinfo, Vincent is averaging 37.11 for the 2005/06 season. Obviously inflated with that 170odd, 25.5 without that. I'm pretty happy for a batsman to come in and score 25.5 on average opening if its at a strikerate of between 90 and 110. Means players like Astle can set their anchor down without having to worry about the run rate for 5 or 10 overs.

JJ

Immortal
Marc Herbert said:
I did a filter on cricinfo, Vincent is averaging 37.11 for the 2005/06 season. Obviously inflated with that 170odd, 25.5 without that. I'm pretty happy for a batsman to come in and score 25.5 on average opening if its at a strikerate of between 90 and 110. Means players like Astle can set their anchor down without having to worry about the run rate for 5 or 10 overs.

except that Astle isn't going to change - he's never been one to set the anchor down - he goes after the bowling early, then works the ball around when the field is back...

I'm content with Vincent too, but to me the best opening pair is Astle and Flemimg - if Taylor comes off, that might be how it ends up

JJ said:
except that Astle isn't going to change - he's never been one to set the anchor down - he goes after the bowling early, then works the ball around when the field is back...

I'm content with Vincent too, but to me the best opening pair is Astle and Flemimg - if Taylor comes off, that might be how it ends up

so you will stick with flemmings poor average lately and the unability to get to 100.

JJ

Immortal
douglasallen91 said:
so you will stick with flemmings poor average lately and the unability to get to 100.

over Vincent?? Hell yes...

Vincent has one century, and an average of 25 - which as someone pointed out above, when you take out his century (172 against the Tuakau 2nd XI), is about what he's averaging now...

go_the_doggies

Juniors
tbh i aint that excited about the cricket tomorrow, well not as much as i was this time last week, its not the same now we've won the series, tehehehe

salivor

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
salivor, did you notice that in one of Franklin's early overs last night he recorded 141kph, 141kph, 144kph? So much for 125 huh :p

LOL, you really have tickets on yourself don't you? Should I show some tact or point out to you that the NZ team has some real depth now doesn't it? I know you didn't want to see youth introduced to the team a couple of months ago but it's really paid off huh?

Yes I can concede that Franklin has picked up his pace, hasn't helped him much though as he's still as expendible whether he's bowling 120k or 140k when the pitch gives him no assistance.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
salivor said:
LOL, you really have tickets on yourself don't you? Should I show some tact or point out to you that the NZ team has some real depth now doesn't it? I know you didn't want to see youth introduced to the team a couple of months ago but it's really paid off huh?

Yes I can concede that Franklin has picked up his pace, hasn't helped him much though as he's still as expendible whether he's bowling 120k or 140k when the pitch gives him no assistance.

What are you talking about?