What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rothfield-Sharks board must stand down

RUBIKS

Juniors

You know that's not a bad idea. Someone said the other day that Virgin should sponsor us as we haven't won anything.... Funny? Well maybe. However it got me thinking, Richard Branson, seriously.

I'll pause for laughter.

This guy loves Australia. He's the embodiment of rich guy helping the underdog and everything he touches turns to gold.

There are countless stories of him throwing money at people who's backs are up against the wall and his competitors are sponsoring rival teams and the code itself.

Not only could he sponsor us, he could move the right people in the right places.

Bring on the Virgin Sharks!

carcharias

Immortal
You know that's not a bad idea. Someone said the other day that Virgin should sponsor us as we haven't won anything.... Funny? Well maybe. However it got me thinking, Richard Branson, seriously.

I'll pause for laughter.

This guy loves Australia. He's the embodiment of rich guy helping the underdog and everything he touches turns to gold.

There are countless stories of him throwing money at people who's backs are up against the wall and his competitors are sponsoring rival teams and the code itself.

Not only could he sponsor us, he could move the right people in the right places.

Bring on the Virgin Sharks!

I said it the other day...and I am not joking.

The bloke is a bloody genius...and we need a genius and pronto.

I can see the irony in the name and I am sure he would be all over it.

Have a look at the current situation the club is in - all thanks is to the current 'long standing' board.

Why single out only 1 of the candidates?

How many people would want to throw their time and efforts into sorting out and attempting to fix the current pile of excrement it is?

Only people who are truly passionate about a club would do so. Who gives a tinkers cuss or flying f**k what they can or cant do. Again - look at the current situation the club is in.

I say good luck to Walker, Ricky and Irvine.

The current board has survived all these years on a "better the devil you know" attitude from members. (Well, that and the voting system that favours incumbency). I am not sure, though, that the "anyone is better than the current" is a much better approach. I'd like to have seen more positives to vote for the new guys that that.

Surace is at least a reasonably significant sponsor in his own right. Irvine's business (as he describes it in his blurb) meanders all over the place - not much sign of strategic direction there. Walker is an ex-coach with ARL experience but then Bazza has ARL experience too and Crowley has the ex-football side nailed as well as a decent business resume but we want to kick him out.

I don't doubt that all three are as passionate about the Sharks as they come and probably bleed black, white and blue when they cut themselves shaving. I also think the current board has had its shot and royally farked it up. I wish I saw more strategic thinking in there though - it feels a bit like a cripple fight at the moment tbh.

RUBIKS

Juniors

You reckon we get a couple thousand Sharks fans to reply on his twitter page he might sit up and take notice?

spider

Coach
The current board has survived all these years on a "better the devil you know" attitude from members. (Well, that and the voting system that favours incumbency). I am not sure, though, that the "anyone is better than the current" is a much better approach. I'd like to have seen more positives to vote for the new guys that that.
Look at the big picture Dean, if these 3 get on, thats 5 out of 9 new faces in 2 years, its still a collective management regime as no one is being asked to individually change it all

A different vision and approach is needed, and has been for many years

Surace is at least a reasonably significant sponsor in his own right. Irvine's business (as he describes it in his blurb) meanders all over the place - not much sign of strategic direction there. Walker is an ex-coach with ARL experience but then Bazza has ARL experience too and Crowley has the ex-football side nailed as well as a decent business resume but we want to kick him out.
They are your opinions weighted on your interpretations

I mean this question in a genuine sense - have you had any dealings with the board or people that have? Maybe there are a few Jekyll and hide men on there....

One only needs to look at the bottom line and half the season, oops sorry, more than half the season, for next years games on the road.

I also think the current board has had its shot and royally farked it up.
Not just now either, its been f**ked up proper for many years

The only reason its come to fruition now is due to the leagues club maxing out the debt it can absorb on the football clubs behalf

Realistically, if the leagues club could keep absorbing the mis-management, then no one would be any wiser to it. The annual report declared an $8k loss to the FC - the operating reports indicated it was a $2.5m loss - so who is being conned?

Look at the big picture Dean, if these 3 get on, thats 5 out of 9 new faces in 2 years, its still a collective management regime as no one is being asked to individually change it all

A different vision and approach is needed, and has been for many years

I don't doubt it - I'm by no means a fan of the current board. But the two who got on last time have not yet made much change, even though Ward, IIRC, has a track record much better than any of this lot of newbies.

They are your opinions weighted on your interpretations

I mean this question in a genuine sense - have you had any dealings with the board or people that have? Maybe there are a few Jekyll and hide men on there....

No, no personal experience with them. By Jekyll and Hyde I assume you mean some of the current board are not quite what they present themselves as. I think that's probably true.

As for the newbies, no direct experience of them either. I am only going on the way they have presented themselves.

One only needs to look at the bottom line and half the season, oops sorry, more than half the season, for next years games on the road.

Not just now either, its been f**ked up proper for many years

The only reason its come to fruition now is due to the leagues club maxing out the debt it can absorb on the football clubs behalf

Realistically, if the leagues club could keep absorbing the mis-management, then no one would be any wiser to it. The annual report declared an $8k loss to the FC - the operating reports indicated it was a $2.5m loss - so who is being conned?

Realistically the accounts have shown a very average business model for years. I'd be more concerned personally with cash flow and liquidity than actual accounting losses - that's what will take us down first.

daggle

Juniors
Wozza,

I for one have met Irvine. Despite online differences we've had in the past, I'll very definitely be giving him my vote.

I'm not sure why a diverse mix of business interests would disqualify him from having the necessary acumen to run a footy club either?

Last edited:

spider

Coach
I don't doubt it - I'm by no means a fan of the current board. But the two who got on last time have not yet made much change, even though Ward, IIRC, has a track record much better than any of this lot of newbies.
Thats my point Dean - they are 2 of 9 atm and no chance to effect any real change in overall vision or business principles

But 5 from 9 is a move in the right direction

No, no personal experience with them. By Jekyll and Hyde I assume you mean some of the current board are not quite what they present themselves as. I think that's probably true.
I'll agree with you on that one

Realistically the accounts have shown a very average business model for years. I'd be more concerned personally with cash flow and liquidity than actual accounting losses - that's what will take us down first.
The cash flow looks even worse than last year. But what cash flow would look good once inheriting that amount of interest and borrowings to repay. The Leagues Club will obviously service this accumulated debt built over recent years. Why was there no prevetative measures put in place early rather than later.

I have always frowned upon the notion of one board residing both entities. The current state of affairs is the prime example why it is bad business management.

Wozza

Juniors
Wozza,

I for one have met Irvine. Despite online differences we've had in the past, I'll very definitely be giving him my vote.

I'm not sure why a diverse mix of business interests would disqualify him from having the necessary acumen to run a footy club either?
Daggle, I've had online differences in the past with him as well and I have no doubt that his heart is in the right place. But as someone who doesn't know him personally he could have done a better job of detailing what he can bring to the table, other than being a passionate supporter.

take a number, a lot of posts there from football fans asking for RB to buy into (or buy out) their club.

The cash flow looks even worse than last year. But what cash flow would look good once inheriting that amount of interest and borrowings to repay. The Leagues Club will obviously service this accumulated debt built over recent years. Why was there no prevetative measures put in place early rather than later.

Ok. so the Leagues club can operate at a profit, its the football club in dire straights.

$9m to run an NRL team
$4.5 salary cap

Where does the other $4.5m go ?
why can't they cut their budget by $2.5 million for a couple of years ?

BrisVegas

Juniors
Ok. so the Leagues club can operate at a profit, its the football club in dire straights.

$9m to run an NRL team
$4.5 salary cap

Where does the other $4.5m go ?
why can't they cut their budget by $2.5 million for a couple of years ?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,,23901838-14823,00.html

First up it takes ~ $16m to adequately run an NRL club, while 1 city clubs turn over $20m-$26m p.a. $9m will get you a pre-Russell Crowe South Sydney long term result.

You can't just slash $2.5m from the football department budget. Most clubs budget on $6m-$7m in player salaries, $4.5m on the 1st grade squad, and the rest on the non-NRL players in the QLD/NSW Cup, U20's and scholarships.

After that you have:

$1.5m on coaching staff (Although wealthy clubs spend over twice that)
$500k on medical costs
$100k on insurance,
$250k on travel that the NRL won't cover,
$$$$$ Venue Hire (or venue maintenance in the Sharks case)
$500k on match day costs (Cleaners, Security, Cheerleaders, Announcers)
$1.5m on Corporate Service (Catering, Functions, Facilities - Wealthy clubs often spend 3-4x as much)
$500k on advertising
$500k on training equipment
$200k on Clothing (Uniforms, Formal Wear, kits)
$200k on Consultants (Wrestling, Goal Kicking, Psychologists etc)
$1m in general running costs (Office costs, rent, bills, training ground maintenance)
$200k to out source ticketing
$1m on junior development

for a total of about $16m (clubs such as Brisbane/Gold Coast will spend an additional $5m-$10m)

The sharks biggest worry has to be there diabolical cash flow situation:

- The Cronulla Football club runs at a loss of ~ $1.4m p.a. (Even after the Leagues Club grant).

- Said Leagues Club grant has dropped from $2.4m (2008), to $1.5m this year, to just $250k in future years.

- The Football Club / Leagues Club no longer have the $9.7m federal grant sitting in the bank generating interest (Would revenue generated by the new stand cover this?)

- The Football Club / Leagues Club have the interest of an ever increasing bank loan to service.

So compared to the 2008 season budget, the Sharks Football department in 2010 are looking at :

$1.4m General loss + Additional Loss due to falling crowds + $2.15m Loss in Leagues Club Grant (Will now go to servicing debt) + $0.5m Loss in interest from spent federal grant + ~$1m loss due to loss of sponsors.

That puts the Football department about $5m in the red, plus whatever loss occurs due to low crowds.

The situation is basically beyond manage. The time for action was 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:

spider

Coach
no use mate - if you wish to raise discussion or question anything on finances it must be forwarded to the club 30 days in advance of the AGM

says so on the notice of AGM in the annual report

www.sharkies.com.au

Hanscholo

Bench
I've never been a fan of rothfield, he is a dick. That article though was much more heartfelt than anything i have seen him do before. Clearly he has the sharks interest in mind. Perhaps he played a role in getting the club where it is, I cant really remember to be honest. The thing is, you guys need to clean that place out, board, CEO and coaching staff. They all need to go, its just been one enormous f**kup from retention to performance and everything in between, the guys in charge at every other club take the wrap for that, why is it that Stuart, Zappia and Co have a non stop pocket pissing contest with each other. Get rid of the lot of them and start again.

trust me, when your board, CEO and coach are geniuss they can turn even the best clubs into wooden spoon winning sh*t holes. Newcastle are a testement to that, they are also a testement to how you can sort it out.