What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 05 (2004): Sharks v Newtown

Alan Shore

First Grade
Thankyou referee, Newtown and of course, my lads. This was a very tight contest and to come away with the 2 pts is most pleasing. As El Coco said, rep season is around the corner so both our teams should have a few players up for duty.

Captain's Knock
What a game! The Bluebags pushed as all the way and now that we've won two on the trot, we're looking good for a finals berth. I'm proud of the effort we put in, both in turning up and putting on an excellent display. I won't be surprised to see several players from both teams playing in the rep season. Finally, thanks to the referee who did an excellent job and commiserations to the Bags who put up a valiant display.

Well done moffo, Great post!! what you said should be done?

Pi@# off Mr David Gallop, Moffo for CEO

Moffo said:
How do we make Melbourne work?

In order to seek an answer, there must be a question. In seeking a solution, there must be a problem.

Question is, does the NRL need Melbourne? The problem lies in the fact that currently, they are not working. As a consequence, we require an answer and a solution.

The answer is definitely yes. The commercial realities of sport in 2004 dictate this. The main competitors to rugby league are both somewhat national (depending on whom you speak to and what press you read). Having a national competition without Melbourne would be akin to having a BBQ without a steak. Without trying to be blunt in the slightest, those who would argue this are wrong. So with that in mind, let us proceed to the second, more challenging part of the equation; how does it work?

As of September 2003, Victoria had a population of 4.933.6 million (www.abs.gov.au), most of which live in Melbourne. It is admittedly, an AFL stronghold. The old catch cry was that if you were a Victorian, you were an AFL fan. The same theology was applied to New South Wales not so long ago. Thinking logically, it is illogical to suggest that there is any logic in either argument. The cosmopolitan and modern character of these cities dictates that not all people will enjoy the same thing or think the same way. A quick look across Sydney will confirm this.

Surely, as we reach a crossroads in rugby league, the same idea can be applied to Melbourne. The cyclopean Mexican media have long reflected the image that there is only one sport in Melbourne. And no, it’s not Badminton.

As a general rule, I believe that history is a good indicator of the future. The Swans succeeded in Sydney after many difficult years. It was not until their finals success in the mid 90s that crowds gravitated above the 10,000 figure. The same idea can be applied to Melbourne. They are by no means a failed venture. They have won a grand final in six short years and captured the imagination (albeit briefly) of the Melbourne public in doing so.

I cringe (as most league fans do) when I see crowds of 8,000 posted up at games. I remember back to the days when they drew 15-20k to a game. What happened? Did success come too early? Did moving ground disenchant a lot of people? Both probably true. However, talk of moving the team to Gosford, the Gold Coast or even Broome is short-sighted to the extremist of extremes.

Why did the Swans suddenly connect with the public? They had success. Lockett bought his dogs up north and took them to a final. Melbourne has not been in a grand final since 1999. Personally, I believe that the Storm require this again to recapture the lost attention. And furthermore, they need to be smart enough to keep the fans this time. The marketing needs to be smarter, the recruitment needs to be shrewder and the membership campaign needs to step-up.

John Ribot is gone. Perhaps this is an opportunity for things to change. Personally, I feel that Melbourne needs a big name, charismatic player. A player/celebrity like Craig Wing would definitely not go astray. He is talented, popular and exciting. He could steer the club to success. All that Melbourne need to do is target someone of a similar ilk. Slater may be the answer.

Furthermore, why not liaise with the NRL in order to design strategies aimed at enhancing the overall product. Put more games on Friday night where there is no AFL game at the MCG or Colonial, add a guest act to perform before the game, offer bigger promotions at every game. The idea is to be original and MAKE the fans want to come out. Going to a footy game should not be a duty, it should be an event that is highly anticipated and receives priority over all else.

The solution must also contain a clause that confirms that they will stay at Olympic Park. The place has character, and with plans to increase the capacity, it has a future. Take the prices down, let people sit in the undercover section. Short term losses should not be of concern to a billion dollar company. Short term pain for long term gain.

So long live the Storm, long live rugby league and lets show Melbourne what footy really is.

743 words

Cheers,
Moffo