What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 2007

Quidgybo

Bench
c_eagle said:
If Manly gets a Monday game, I'd be getting the tin cup, walking over to Fox Studios and asking the NRL to underwrite the difference.
For one Monday night game I don't think you really have a case. It's a once or twice per year novelty that shouldn't greatly impact crowds and certainly won't have any long term impact on support levels. But if you cop five or six Monday nights at home, I'd not only be grabing my tin cup but briefing my lawyers as well. That sort of schedule is the sort of thing that really would drive away supporters, put the club at a severe disadvantage compared to rival clubs, and more than likely put the entire future of the club at risk.

Leigh.

brendothejet

First Grade
MNF is just a red herring for 2008 -

They will scrap it "in response the fans" and bring back an extra sunday arvo match to "celebrate traditional afternoon footy" resulting in sh*tloads of people coming to watch!

Quidgybo

Bench
What about the contractual obligation to Fox? While that contract prevails the response of the fans has very little do with the matter. It's the ratings of a Monday night game versus a Sunday afternoon game. Nothing else.

Leigh.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Quidgybo said:
There's no way any team will have most of their home games on Monday night. Their crowds would plummet. It's one thing to ask fans to come out for one or two Monday matches per team per year but asking them to turn up to six or seven or more is just fantasy land stuff. People stay at home on Mondays precisely because they are Mondays. They've spent their money and had their fun on the weekend, now it's time to have a quite night in watching the tele (and Monday Night Football on the tele at that). Drinking alcohol and getting home late are just not things most people do on a "school" night.

Leigh.

Hopefully they will spread it around, i have the same idea as you. If they make monday night as like a 1 or 2 off thing for clubs you will see big crowds because its like something different but if they give it to the same people they will get sick of it.