What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 2016 vs Titans game discussion

Whats Doing

Bench
The spoon will be ours with daylight second with very few if any wins.

Browny doesn't have much to play with this year so I would be perservering with the young players (although Feeney is not a fullback unless he decides to show some ticker) and dropping some of the players who have shown little impact and have no further improvement in them such as Snowden, Mataora.

Brown made it pretty clear today Snowden is on borrowed time. He was off for 50 mins and injury free. I want Brown to persist with the rookies. Add Sione and Tariq when suspension permits. Gagai has to go to fullback. He is not a centre. He is a winger or fullback. Mullo is fast running out of excuses as well. Feeney to the 6 is a big chance if he does not get his shit together.

We will be better for the run, we can only get better. Although it doesnt bode well that the second worst team in the comp put 30 on us.

perverse

Referee
I dunno why you'd single out Mullo when Hodko was probably worse. At least Mullo created some things. Someone remind me what Hodko offered us today... because we certainly weren't composed or organised.

chinorocks

Juniors
Why were we playing catchup tho? It's not like they threw much at us. Floodgates opened with very little prodding. We offered nothing in attack and our defense was as bad as ever. And our senior players were more to blame than the rookies. Snowden and Gagai were abhorrent, halves were non existant. Uate only senior guy who played semi decent. Anyone that thinks Sione and Tariq on recent form would have helped that are kidding themselves. Our squad is absolutely woeful.

perverse

Referee
The 2 bright lights for us tonight were the Saifitis. They were phenomenal for 19 year old forwards making their debuts... and may well play a lot more first grade this year than I thought they might. They didn't look out of place in the slightest. Pretty amazing, actually... I don't know what to make of it, but we should put contracts in front of both of them tomorrow.

Just amazed by the amount of work they got through on debut. You don't see 22 year old forwards do that much work very often. On debut even less so. Really, 10/10 exceeded my expectations and then some.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Daniel Saifiti off the bench was easily our second best prop after Korbin.
8 runs for 80m in a 20-25min period on debut is pretty damn impressive.

The reason why Mullen and Hodkinson looked out of sorts is because for some reason the ruck was really disorganised. Mullen and hodkinson went to dummy half a lot more than they should have, why wasnt randell there?

It looked to me that no one was organising any plays and no one knew who was going to dummy half. We needed either Mullen or Hodkinson to just take charge and direct the team.

Towards the end Hodkinson was combining with mullen and feeney but by this stage it was too little too late playing catch ups in the wet.

Safitis rotating with Paea and Pauli is our front row if we want to be any chance this year of a reasonable outcome. The Sims boys and Jezza our Backrow. That would be a very promising pack for Millen and Hokko to combine their game behind.

Swarzey

Bench
f**king full credit to the Saifiti twins. Debut, shit conditions and got through a mountain of work. Especially Daniel off the bench. No surprise we lifted when he, Korbin and Pauli hit the field. Snowden can get in the f**king sea. Absolute dogshit performance.

Not going to really criticise our halves. Their first game, combinations don't click instantly in one game. Everyone looked a little lost when it came to certain plays; Pat's try looked like a mess for most of it. Like the kids, their partnership will take time and I don't think the conditions favoured their style of play compared to the Titans who simply threw the ball around.

Spot On

Coach
I will be very surprised if Kade Snowden is not given a long stint in NSW Cup starting next w/e. He possibly should not be given a firsts jersey again unless injury cripples us. He offers nothing. Surely there are props somewhere who offer a little more for less than half his contract value. Enough already.

My other superstar who has done nothing the past 3 seasons- Aku - can have a pass mark as the effort was there and he worked his arse off. Come on down for a R2 start Aku. Keep it up.

The halves were what I expected. Nothing to add.

Feeney I'd persist with for a while but he is going to be absolutely peppered from here on by opposition halves so good luck to him. He has no other choice but to work his arse off on the training paddock if he wants to play firsts.

I must be in the minority but I though Mataora showed good signs. He could continue to improve rapidly if he keeps the weight off and really digs in, really wants it. I'd stick with him.

Gags - someone said he's playing himself out of an origin spot with that type of performance. I can't believe he would get a start anyway. I understand he got a wing gig with everything going his way last year but surely he would be a huge liability on the rep stage if QLD were to stick with him this year?

Those who performed well have been mentioned above. The twins had a good debut.

Not sure what to make of our dummy half yet. Time will tell.

chinorocks

Juniors
Only injuries and young guys suspensions will see Gagai anywhere near a Qld jersey. Oates and Boyd are certainties to be the wingers.

Spot On

Coach
Have to give Randall a bit off wrap. NRL stats have him down for 55 tackles (only Peats has made more this w/e) with 0 misses.

Can't ask for a better defensive effort. Hats off to him.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Just watched the press conference and Brownie really seems to know what he's talking about. He didn't throw anyone under the bus but he outlined the areas where we need to improve perfectly and he even said that he wouldn't reward older players for doing the same things they've done for years. It's so good to hear that from him given the usual rubbish we got from Stone last year. Looking forward to some more insight from him each week.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Can't put too much on halves when we barley had the ball and forwards didn't provide enough roll on to do something. Two tries within the 10m was different haha. And really it was the two sets we had in there 20 where we didn't lose the ball. Couple occasions where Mullo should have grubbered the ball into in-goal over a pass and two chip kicks. Repeat sets better then that.

I honestly can't criticize defense too much when the early first half tries had a lot of shitty luck to it. Especially the Don 2nd try.

Great work to who have already mentioned. And definitely agree with Snowden going and he may will with him only coming back on in final 5mins. Pitiful effort. Not sure who we replace with though? While TSims is out put Korbin starting front row and bring in FitzGibbon to bench?

Swarzey

Bench
Yeah it was a nice presser.

I found a lot of his comments similar to what we're saying and what a lot of fans are saying. I liked that he didn't call anyone out particularly for a poor performance but made it clear that he won't allow it to be a trend throughout the year. The most encouraging thing was that he said nobody is safe minus those who performed well; it's a nice change to the old "lets just give them another chance" of Bennett and Stone. He's completely behind these young kids, had massive wraps on Korbin and talked him up for Origin. It's nice to see a coach at the club with a long term goal and everything he does reflects that.

This presser screamed "This shit is going to happen but it will get better"

Caped Crusader

Juniors
f**k me put the razors away guys

I was at the game and I can tell you the conditions were awful. We lost he game for two reasons, I'll discipline and errors in our own half. Pretty much what you'd expect from a team of rookies in the pissing rain

I was very impressed with our goal line defence. The boys really looked to be working for each other and given the absolute shit that area has been for us in the past, I'm bloody over the moon to see that attitude shift

Things just came off for the Titans, they were having one of those nights.

All in all I saw enough positives from the team that I have confidence they'll improve enough to be competitive by round 10. Maybe not top 8 but certainly away from he spoon.

Spot On

Coach
Not sure if the rookies were responsible for a lot of those errors and ill discipline at our end though Crusader. A snr player had 5 errors/penalties alone.

Apey

Staff member
Is it just me or does Snowden look even larger and slower this year? Has he been bulked up even further? You could read a book in the time he takes to turn around.

I generally didn't have a problem with his lack of agility in the past... but he just looks even further behind the pace now. Still got through a lot of work in the 20 odd minutes he was on the field.

I can't work out if everyone else trimmed down for the interchange and he's just the same size as before or if he's just got considerably fatter. Looked like a big fat plodder out there.

perverse

Referee
I can't work out if everyone else trimmed down for the interchange and he's just the same size as before or if he's just got considerably fatter. Looked like a big fat plodder out there.

Yeah, I've never thought he was particularly wide or fat... but he looked it tonight. He won't last long playing like that.

Latest posts