What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Dragons v Broncos at Kogarah

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'm just putting this out there.
But we have to admit our club is a hopeless joke.

I live not 10 minutes from KJO.
We were driving around Kogarah today, not one poster, not one telephone pole advertisement, no banners up outside KJO, nothing.
If you didn't follow rugby league the way most on here do and are just a casual fan, you would have no clue this game was on.

They complain about the crowds they get at Koagrah, but then do nothing, not even the bare minimum to promote the game.
Something isn't right here.
I agree that it is not right. That certainly is poor form on the part of our administration. If I was CEO I would have posters up and telephone pole advertising all around the St George district, the Canterbury district and the Sutherland Shire. The posters and telephone pole advertising would have been up for four to six weeks too.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i get the indication he has a soft spot for the cnts.

Does he own one of these?

images

Old Timer

Coach
Games are won on the field and a coach is only as good as the cattle he has to work with. Injuries to key players can break a team's season. Remember when Easts lost both their props, Hermansson and Lowrie leading into semi finals. They capitulated. One player can be more important than a coach. Remember when Newcastle was one of the best teams in the comp, with Andrew Johns in their team, but when he was out they could hardly win a game. Nth Qld have capitulated when Thurston has been injured in previous seasons. I recall when Melbourne were missing Slater a few years ago, they struggled to win a game. Easts used to struggle to win a game without Fittler. Manly used to be a different team with Brett Stewart out to when he played. Parra were a different team if Price was playing to when he wasn't.

Last year, Nth Qld made the Grand Final, but if we would have won our last game, Nth Qld would not have even made the top 8. That is a very fine line between a successful season and a failure.

I think that if Nathan Brown was coaching Easts or Nth Qld this year, they could still win this year's comp and I believe that if Robinson, Bellamy or Bennett had been coaching Newcastle for the last 2 seasons, with the players they had, they still would have got the spoon.

I think some people are under the impression that if we still had Bennett as our coach, we would have won a comp or 2 in the last 5 years. I believe that having a good spine is the most important thing and way more important than a coach. The Supercoach, Jack Gibson said that if you have got the best halfback, (referring to Peter Sterling) then you are half way there to winning a comp. He also said that the best coach is the best recruiter.

I gauge a coaches performance on what he does with the team that he has at his disposal, not where the team finishes on the ladder. I think Brian Smith coming to us in 1991, when we had not made the semis since 1985 and taking us to grand finals against the star studded Brisbane team full of Origin and Australian players in 92 and 93 was a much better achievement than Bennett coaching Brisbane to win the 2 comps against us. Smith taking Easts to the Grand Final after they won the spoon the year before was a great achievement. I also rate David Waite taking us to the Grand Final in 95 higher than Bennett winning comps coaching Brisbane. I seriously believe that I could have coached Brisbane to win the comps that they won under Bennett. I actually do rate Bennett coming to us and turning us into a premiership force and winning a comp a very good achievement, as I did not think that he had a great team at his disposal, I especially did not rate Hornby or Soward.
FF
Good coaches get players to play above themselves and great coaches not only do that but they also attract talented players who are wanting to be part of a winning / professional culture and obviously a shot at the title..
Bennett has done that in spades over many years and is most likely in the twilight of his great career.
If you look at our rosters and players we have secured from outside the club it is obvious to see bad coaches attract malcontents, naughty boys, journeymen and the very occasional good player on the rebound.
We secured Packer and Dugan due to their obvious issues, Hunt for what was at the time big $$$$ and a long contract, Graham due to cap issues at the Dogs and other than Vaughan who has been arguably our best pick up we have had a host of shitters, some of which people in here love to talk up just because they pull on the big red v.
If we had of had either Hassler or Toovey, our chances of getting high quality recruits would have been enhanced many times over.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree with Slippery Morris's comment about Bennett having his side primed for THIS match . First game of the new season and he will have set the bar high - go out and show the rest of the competition that they will be there come finals time , starting off with the Dragons on their home soil . He as with Bellamy know how to get the message through to his players - keep it short and simple .

Our forward pack must tame their opposites quickly so as to allow Hunt and Widdop to weave their magic . Should that be the case then hopefully players such as Duffy will have enough nous to follow them around the park as unlike last season our halfback will take the line on and there may be try scoring opportunities as a result .

Should our boys be able to do this then there is every chance that we could take our first 2 competition points of the year , but it certainly will not be any walkover like Penrith this time in 2017 .

Uplifting

Juniors
Regarding team selection etc, I also fear that the team will contain the stock standard 3/4 line and poor use of the bench again.

But, I’m excited about the prospect of these boys this year coming off the bench:

Jai Field
Reece Robson

They could be real surprise packets.

Also, Mann just has to spend 26 rounds playing and starting in FG.

Belta

Juniors
Not filled with confidence after the trials, but surely Mary can muster a solid win over this Broncos outfit. Got the feeling this game like many others this year will see us losing our finger nails. First round win to the Dragons, 26 to 10.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I agree that it is not right. That certainly is poor form on the part of our administration. If I was CEO I would have posters up and telephone pole advertising all around the St George district, the Canterbury district and the Sutherland Shire. The posters and telephone pole advertising would have been up for four to six weeks too.

Mate to make it worse.
I was at the agi south hurstville and the bunnies were there trying to flog there membership.
What a frigging joke

Brutalitops

Juniors
I thought when we played the Broncos at the back end of last season, we were right in it for the opening half, and lost it in smaller moments like Dugan's errors and Ben Hunt's crazy kicking game resulting in that beautiful try on Nighty's wing.

Well now we are improved and Broncos kicking game is severely hampered. We are a real shot at winning and I normally never tip us against Brisbane