What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Is well and truely underway

Paullyboy

Coach
The vast majority of Round 1 of the NFL season was played today with a few upsets, but hey who cares we all know what i really am here to say:

VIKINGS BABY!!!!!!

Minnesota got up against its oldest enemy, Green Bay in the battle of the NFC north today and Daunte Culpepper orchastrated the show superbly. Brett Favre threw an incredible 4 interecepts against a Vikings defensive secondary that is far from world beaters. Its a great result for the vikings and if Daunte and Randy can continue to forge this parternship that has been looking like developing for the last 3 years, the Vikings may just embarass me and become a respectable team.

But lets not jump the gun to early.

As for the raiders fans out there, You are in a bit of trouble in the 2nd quarter against the Titans. After an early let off with Nedney missing the Xtra point attempt the Titans took off and at the moment are in control, but only lead 9-3. Have the old legs at Oakland started to kick in like some have predicted?

And the San Fransico 49ers set the tone for the week with a thrashing of the hapless Chicago bears. Chicago are now starting to look more and more like favourites for the wooden spoon as they have very little going for them at the moment, having said that Kordell Stewart is only still new to the team so he may be able to turn them around, but I doubt it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yes .. Round 1 is all but now over, and in my ( admittedly biased) opinion the most convincing winner is without a doubt the Bills!!!!!!.......

Our defensive talent this year is really looking good with Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher and our new signing last week Lawyer Milloy......

Add this to our existing offense and things are definately looking good...

Centrebet was giving $34.00 last week.... Get on !!!!!

Big Tim

First Grade
I thought that the Bills were a good darkhorse, but there problem was there safeties, they were very weak. But with the signing of the Free Agent Milloy, they are looking very strong.

I am still in shock that the Pats let him go, just like that, he is a great locker room man and the young boys at Bufallo will all benefit from him being there.

Paullyboy

Coach
Actually he is not a great locker room man, the reason he was let go from the pats was, quote,
"he is like a cancerous cell on the side and it is infecting the rest of his team (Patriots at the time)"

He held out for more money and the Patriots refused to pay him the money he thought he was worth, having said all of this he is defintaley one of the best safeties going around at the moment.

Well, my understanding is the Patriots players were angry at Milloy being released - they felt he was too good a player to lose. And I'm sure that's one reason for their flat performance against the Bills.

Meanwhile, the Steelers have begun their march to the Super Bowl:

http://www.steelers.com/

Paullyboy

Coach
It was quite clear seeing Milloy (now at the bills) and Law (still at Patriots) that some players certainly didnt want him to leave, Milloy and Law walked off together chatting.

In the final game of round 1,

The reigning champions, Tampa Bay, really stamped their authority on the competition from the start by shutting out the highly rated Philadelphia Eagles. In what was essentially a very dour match, Tampa pulled off a 17-0 win with Dononvan McNabb of the Eagles never looking at all comfortable.

Are the bucs going to go 2 in a row? They certainly played much better than I expected them to today, however I still stick by my original tip of Miami (and yes i know how terrible that loss was to the Texans, but you watch them next week against the Jets, id put the house on it)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Fantastic win by Buffalo!!!......it's clear that they have rectified there defensive problems of the last few years!!

I may be biased but?? they are my dark horse.......there off season recruitment has been fantastic.......besides loosing Peerless price off course!!

To beat New England to 31-0 is a tremendous effort!!

It would be great to see Buffalo dominate there division again!!

Paullyboy

Coach
I think Buffalo played very well, but I think for as long as New England persist with Antowain Smith over Kevin Faulk the patriots are going to struggle severely with their ground game.

Antowain's day in the sun is over, he should try and get a contract with Arizona because they love nothing more than over the hill ex stars.

chileman

Coach
Patriots look like they are gooooooorn this season, or were the Bills just that much better! :shock:

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think that its a little early to be writing off the Patriots just yet.

They have some quality players and a great coach - they'll be back...

What's the consensus on Miami's performance??

That was a shocking loss at home against Houston.

Their next two games are away against the Jets, and then at home versus the mighty Bills in Week 3....

Would love nothing more than to see the fish off to an 0-3 start :lol:

legend

Coach
Antowain Smith was a star? :lol:

I hope Miami lose their first three, then they will be shot ducks.

Buffalo look to be a dark horse in the AFC along with Kansas City. The Packers are a franchise in decline same with Oakland but man there are some good teams in the NFL at present. TB, Tennessee, Buffalo, KC, Denver, Giants, Rams, Eagles. It would not surprise me to see any of these sides in the Superbowl.

Paullyboy

Coach
Miami will be back, I have no doubt whatsoever. YOu have to remember that they have, when all available, the best defensive backs in the game. Add to this the experience and talent at linebacker and the fact that Jason Taylor led the league in sacks last year from Defensive End and you know you have a team who will bounce back.

I think Miami's problem is that they went into the Texans game treating it as a trial still, they have learnt their lesson and they will bounce back against the Jets this week. Ricky WIlliams has had a bit of an injury cloud over him coming into the game but he will be OK and if he is there, the Jets are gone.

As for the Patriots, I severely doubt whether they will be back. There is disharmony amongst some of the players directed towards coach BB and now the fans have had enough with his persistence with Antowain Smith. BB may have been highly regarded, but it means nothing if you have no one behind you, especially if the players are dirty about the treatment of one of their ex-friends. BB saying that Milloy was a cancerous cell on the team didnt help his credibility amongst the team one bit

kurt faulk

Coach

damn the vikings looked good. if they can stay focused and beat the teams they are supposed to beat they could very well be 5-0 heading into the bye week.

as for the rams, is there a dumber head coach than mike martz? imagine leaving warner out there to hang out and dry when it was obvious something was wrong with him. and to make matters worse he calls 60 pass plays to 14 run plays. he is a complete buffoon at best or a vindictive, petty snake who was trying to embarress warner for his sins of the past (brendagate) so he can turn to his next disposable qb marc bulger at worst. this week he will call a balanced game so the rams should win.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, the steelers offense is downright scary. as long as maddox stays on his feet the steelers will be hard to beat.