What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 @Penrith

shear_joy9

Coach
expected lineup:

1. Josh Dugan
2. Reece Robinson
3. Jarrod Croker/Jack Wighton
4. Blake Ferguson
5. Sandor Earl
6. Josh McCrone
7. Sam Williams
8. David Shillington
9. Shaun Berrigan
10. Dane Tilse
11. Josh Papalii
12. Joel Thompson
13. Shaun Fensom
Interchange:
14. Matt McIlwrick
15. Joe Picker/Joel Edwards/Jake Foster
16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs/Brett White
17. Mark Nicholls

Dugan's also under an injury cloud with a virus but is expected to play. I doubt there will be many games when he isn't under an injury cloud.

This is the strongest squad canberra have had since the 90's. There is decent depth in every position, albeit what people about mcilwrick and buttriss I think they will both have strong seasons.

If this side can't beat the rebuilding panthers I would be very concerned.

abpanther

Staff member
Good luck for week 1 guys

A fantasy related question, any chance Croker doesn't start and also what are Wighton's chances of getting game time?

Thanks

I think Croker is touch and go , they may not risk him the 1st week.

He is progressing well though.

If Croker doesnt play then Wighton will , in saying that Id have Wighton there regardless.

I cant wait for this game , we should win but early season games are a lottery

abpanther

Staff member
Sorry I didn't realise Croker was injured

I just meant more in general will he be dropped

Croker wont get dropped , he would have to be in some terrible form.

If Wighton was to come into the team , it would be a winger losing his spot and that player would be Robinson.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think Dugan needs to move house, there's always an injury cloud over where he lives

As I said over on the greenhouse there has been a number of raiders players succumb to infection linked to poor grappling hygiene. Dugan has had TWO infections in last year or so that could be linked to that.

If the players are wrestling on mats the club has to clean them it is surely not a coincidence players get boils and abscesses.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Actually its not a new thing either. Can anyone remember Brett Kelly getting a boil on his hand that almost got to the bone. I believe Joe picker was hospitalised during that boil outbreak. It would have been like 4 or so years ago.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
News to me, are we training in an infectious disease wing at the hospital or something?

He had an abscess on his lip go bad. NOBODY PANIC THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE IS FROM LAST YEAR

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ry-to-lance-boil-outbreak-20120624-20wlc.html

THE Canberra Raiders have been hit by a boil outbreak for the second time in five years, with second-rower Jarrad Kennedy the latest player to be sidelined with the contagious infection.
Kennedy has a nasty boil on his upper thigh and has spent the past few days receiving treatment in a Canberra hospital.
The news comes just two weeks after teammate Joe Picker was quarantined and forced to miss the Raiders win at Newcastle after a boil developed into a serious golden staph infection.
Advertisement
Canberra have reminded their players to adhere to their strict hygiene protocols in an attempt to curb the problem before it sweeps through the squad.
In 2008, several Canberra players contracted the infection, and former winger Brett Kelly narrowly avoided having a finger amputated.
Raiders CEO Don Furner said club doctor Wilson Lo had asked health professionals to talk to the players to reinforce the importance of taking preventive measures. ''It's doing Wilson's head in,'' he said.
''He's constantly sending emails out and has spoken to the infectious diseases unit … all the players have done the nasal spray, which is the best way of eradicating it. We've introduced hospital-strength [antiseptic] soap and a clean linen service. We brought it in four years ago when we had them and have done it again this year.''

Thats from last year. I remember during the 08 breakout Picker was hospitalised so hes got boils twice in the space of 5 years. Dugan had a boil go infected in 2011 and now hes had an abscess on his lip become infected.

Its a bit of a worry. Those are all "wrestlers injuries" associated with unclean grappling conditions

Pete Cash

Post Whore
so whats the go with Edrick Lee? will he get a run this year?

At this stage hes behind Ferguson, Croker, Earl, Robinson and Whighton. So hes a couple of injuries or poor form away from a run. I'd imagine he will get a run somewhere. I would be shocked if we didn't get at least two injuries in the backline.

mongoose

Coach
We sure have some depth in the backline. Berrigan and Thompson can fill in the centres as well. I really want to see Wighton have an extended run in the centres though. He's the one player im most looking forward to watching this year.

Paullyboy

Coach
I've only ever seen wighton from when he played on the wing, he didn't look like a half at all, is he better there?

Latest posts