What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Cowboys

RufusRex

Post Whore
Aitken is odds on .. Esp if we continue to leak on our right ... Rava may cop the flame for the pressure Aitken puts on him though.

Norman/Widdop will cop their fair share

Luc too

Walpole

Juniors
My question is, who is the player that will be most criticised this year? My money’s on Aitken and Lafai...my dark horse is Norman.
The harder question is "Will there be any players who are not criticised this year?" Frizell possibly. T.Sims maybe.

I'm guessing as per usual, the players not in 1st grade will be held up as the second coming of Johnny Raper, only held back by the coach, while those in the top team will be compared unfavourably to the likes of Jordan Kahu or Tim Mannah.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The harder question is "Will there be any players who are not criticised this year?" Frizell possibly. T.Sims maybe.

I'm guessing as per usual, the players not in 1st grade will be held up as the second coming of Johnny Raper, only held back by the coach, while those in the top team will be compared unfavourably to the likes of Jordan Kahu or Tim Mannah.

My favourite is...let's move a player from position A...bulk him up, and make him a second rower. Aitken to second row...Dufty to second row...Norman to second row...

possm

Coach
I’d put a lazy $50 on Ravalawa.

Not because I think he will deserve it, but because I think people will exaggerate the inevitable handling mistakes that all players make.

My tip is that Pearson and Ravalawa will be a nice surprise addition to our backline and that they both will secure their wing spots long term.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With CC playing on Friday we will know the final 17 for 1st grade then.

The only changes I could see is if;
Kerr or Latimore play CC the other will play in 1st Grade.
Nth Qld have a very good pack, so I inagine he will stick with the "experience" over youth, although imo playing Kerr would provide the same impact from the bench as Coen Hess does and provide a point of difference.

possm

Coach
My favourite is...let's move a player from position A...bulk him up, and make him a second rower. Aitken to second row...Dufty to second row...Norman to second row...
No, no, no …….. Aitken and Lafai to go and be replaced by Lomax and Masters.

Dufty
Pearson
Lomax
Masters
Ravalawa
Norman
Hunt

Widdop out with shoulder injury. Finally a backline with speed. Now all Mary needs to do is teach them all how to defend.

blacksafake

First Grade
A bit off track but I noticed McGuire made the tough decision by not naming Reynolds in the 17 for the tigers & is playing reserves.
I doubt that L plate would not pick his marquee signing in the 17.

Dufty
Pearson
Lomax
Masters
Ravalawa
Norman
Hunt

Widdop out with shoulder injury. Finally a backline with speed. Now all Mary needs to do is teach them all how to defend.
OR someone to teach Mary how to coach...

George Dragon

Juniors

Nth Qld have a very good pack, so I inagine he will stick with the "experience" over youth, although imo playing Kerr would provide the same impact from the bench as Coen Hess does and provide a point of difference.
Kerr and Lomax will fly out with the team on Thursday neither will see any game time.

getsmarty

Immortal
190311_bel_web.png

TEAM LISTS

Behind Enemy Lines: Round 1
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 13 Mar 2019, 09:46 AM

North Queensland Cowboys coach Paul Green has named his mandatory 21-man Round 1 squad to face the St George Illawarra Dragons at 1300SMILES Stadium, Townsville on Saturday, March 16.

Former Dragon Nene Macdonald will make his Cowboys debut alongside fellow North Queensland recruits Jordan Kahu, Tom Opacic and Josh McGuire.

Te Maire Martin has won the race to the vacant five-eighth spot following Johnathan Thurston's retirement, while Javid Bowen has been named on the wing in Kyle Feldt's absence.

North Queensland squad: Round 1 v Dragons

1. Jordan Kahu
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Justin O’Neill
4. Tom Opacic
5. Javid Bowen
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Michael Morgan (c)
8. Matt Scott
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Coen Hess
13. Jason Taumalolo

Interchange:

14. John Asiata
15. Josh McGuire
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Francis Molo
18. Ben Hampton
19. Jake Clifford
20. Gideon Gela-Mosby
23. Enari Tuala

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/13/behind-enemy-lines-round-1/

Frank Facer

First Grade
Well he usually doesn’t change his mind quickly. If Frizz at lock and Host on the edge are kicking arse (which I expect they will) then hopefully Korbin replaces Latimore on the bench.
The big question is Dufty and how he’s used. There’s gonna be a utility back who gets limited minutes, that’s clear. If I was gonna try to predict the most likely way things will go pear shaped (which they may not, eternal optimist here) then it’ll be Aitken’s defence in question and the Dufty spine shuffle experiment that’ll go wrong. Most likely move Mary makes then is Lomax to centre and I wouldn’t be surprised to see aitken take the number 14 then and get used in the middle like Mann last year. He’s not super creative our Mary so that’s most likely. Timing wise, there’s a pretty good chance that Aiken’s gonna let in tries vs both Souths and broncos, so round 4 is my bet.
If Mary must insist on playing an outside back on the bench, then Aitken is the obvious choice, because he is more suited to come on in the forwards than any other outside back.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Dufty
Pearson
Lomax
Masters
Ravalawa
Norman
Hunt

I like the idea of a centre paring of Lomax and Marsters. If not this year, then definitely next year. Right now I would be happy with the above backline next year, maybe even this year.

getsmarty

Immortal
r01_preview_cowboys-v-dragons.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Cowboys v Dragons: Kahu and Norman handed key roles
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 12 Mar 2019, 04:02 PM

A new era dawns for the Cowboys with Johnathan Thurston's retirement.

Thurston is essentially irreplaceable but Cowboys coach Paul Green will lean heavily on Michael Morgan and put his faith in Te Maire Martin and Jake Clifford to fill the void.

Matt Scott's presence can't be underestimated after his 2018 campaign was derailed by injury, while the arrival of ex-Broncos enforcer Josh McGuire should have the desired effect.

The Dragons were in the hunt for the minor premiership all season before finishing seventh - one of four teams on 32 points.

They only had themselves to blame for blowing it against the Rabbitohs in week two of the finals and coach Paul McGregor is hoping the arrival of Corey Norman from the Eels will provide important depth in the halves.

342 match-eqio->488 match-eqio->628 match-eqio->736" data-eqio-prefix="match" data-eqio-sizes="["<186>342", ">488", "<627>628", ">736", ">920"]">
Match: Cowboys v Dragons

Round 1 - Saturday 16th March

7:35pm

Home Team

Cowboys

Away Team

Dragons

Venue: 1300SMILES Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Team News
Cowboys: New signing Jordan Kahu starts at fullback, with Javid Bowen, Tom Opacic and Nene Macdonald joining the back five. Kyle Feldt [groin] is out, while Ben Hampton is 18th man. Te Maire Martin has pipped Jake Clifford to the five-eighth role. Star signing Josh McGuire will come off the bench.

Dragons: Gareth Widdop shifts to fullback with Corey Norman joining Ben Hunt in the halves. Mikaele Ravalawa is named to debut on the wing, while Jacob Host starts in the back row with Tyson Frizell shifting to lock in place of Jack de Belin.

342 match-eqio->488 match-eqio->628 match-eqio->736" data-eqio-prefix="match" data-eqio-sizes="["<186>342", ">488", "<627>628", ">736", ">920"]">
Match: Cowboys v Dragons

Round 1 - Saturday 16th March

7:35pm

Home Team

Cowboys

Away Team

Dragons

Venue:1300SMILES Stadium

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Cowboys is number 1 Jordan Kahu

Fullback for Dragons is number 1 Gareth Widdop
  • Winger for Cowboys is number 2 Nene Macdonald

Winger for Dragons is number 2 Jordan Pereira
  • Centre for Cowboys is number 3 Justin O'Neill

Centre for Dragons is number 3 Euan Aitken
  • Centre for Cowboys is number 4 Tom Opacic

Centre for Dragons is number 4 Timoteo Lafai
  • Winger for Cowboys is number 5 Javid Bowen

Winger for Dragons is number 5 Mikaele Ravalawa
  • Five-Eighth for Cowboys is number 6 Te Maire Martin

Five-Eighth for Dragons is number 6 Corey Norman
  • Halfback for Cowboys is number 7 Michael Morgan

Halfback for Dragons is number 7 Ben Hunt
Forwards
  • Prop for Cowboys is number 8 Matthew Scott

Prop for Dragons is number 8 James Graham
  • Hooker for Cowboys is number 9 Jake Granville

Hooker for Dragons is number 9 Cameron McInnes
  • Prop for Cowboys is number 10 Jordan McLean

Prop for Dragons is number 10 Paul Vaughan
  • 2nd Row for Cowboys is number 11 Gavin Cooper

2nd Row for Dragons is number 11 Jacob Host
  • 2nd Row for Cowboys is number 12 Coen Hess

2nd Row for Dragons is number 12 Tariq Sims
  • Lock for Cowboys is number 13 Jason Taumalolo

Lock for Dragons is number 13 Tyson Frizell
Interchange
  • Interchange for Cowboys is number 14 John Asiata

Interchange for Dragons is number 14 Jeremy Latimore
  • Interchange for Cowboys is number 15 Josh McGuire

Interchange for Dragons is number 15 Matthew Dufty
  • Interchange for Cowboys is number 16 Mitchell Dunn

Interchange for Dragons is number 16 Blake Lawrie
  • Interchange for Cowboys is number 17 Francis Molo

Interchange for Dragons is number 17 Luciano Leilua
Reserves
  • Reserve for Cowboys is number 18 Ben Hampton

Reserve for Dragons is number 18 Zac Lomax
  • Reserve for Cowboys is number 19 Jake Clifford

Reserve for Dragons is number 19 Josh Kerr
  • Reserve for Cowboys is number 20 Gideon Gela-Mosby

Reserve for Dragons is number 20 Reece Robson
  • Reserve for Cowboys is number 23 Enari Tuala
    23 21

Reserve for Dragons is number 21 Jonus Pearson
Key match-up
Gareth Widdop v Jordan Kahu: Neither of these men was a fullback last year but each now finds themselves as a first-choice No.1. In Widdop's case it's due to the club recruiting Corey Norman, with Matt Dufty still pressing for a chance. Widdop has played there before, including for England, but will need to make sure his fitness and work under the high ball is up to scratch. Kahu has also been a Test fullback for New Zealand but not so often at club level, where he has largely played wing and centre. He has a chance at a new club due to Ben Barba's sacking but it is his ball-playing ability that will need to get up to speed quickly.

For the Cowboys to win
Michael Morgan needs to grab this team by the scruff of the neck and drag them into the post-JT era. Just as the great man Thurston did on countless occasions the new skipper will look to inspire by his actions as the Cowboys look to right the wrongs of 2018. If Morgan takes control and plays like he did during the 2017 grand final charge then his team mates will get on board and the home fans will rise.

For the Dragons to win
The Red V need to put their off-season drama behind them and channel the spirit that wiped Brisbane out in week one of the finals and took them within an ace of upsetting Souths. This is one proud club and they’ll need every bit of that renowned fighting spirit if they are to prevail in enemy territory. Tariq Sims was unstoppable in that Suncorp Stadium demolition last September and he needs to lead the forward charge.

And another thing
All the Euan Aitken critics out there need to take a chill pill. He's a damn fine player, who was on the verge of State of Origin selection last year. Big and strong, he can be a difference maker for St George Illawarra in 2019.

Brett Kimmorley says ...
The Cowboys have probably got the best forward pack in the competition. We didn't see much of Matt Scott and Jordan McLean last year and Jason Taumalolo moving to an edge will probably keep him fresher for late in games. The Dragons also boast a very strong pack – I can't wait to watch these middle forwards sort each other out. I think the signing of Corey Norman will be huge for the Dragons. This will be close.
Cowboys by 2

Cowboys Stat Attack
The JT effect will be felt in full force by North Queensland if the numbers are anything to go by. Despite the Cowboys being in contention for the wooden spoon until late in the year, Thurston ranked first in the NRL for line engaged runs (142 for the year at almost six per game), try assists (23) and line break assists (24). Michael Morgan produced career-best form when Thurston was absent for their 2017 grand final run, and will need to get back to his best quick smart in his return from injury.

Dragons Stat Attack
St George Illawarra exploded out of the blocks last season, holding top spot on the ladder for the first 11 rounds on the back of some terrific attack. They led the league for tackle breaks in 2018 and ranked fourth for points across the entire season behind Souths and the two grand finalists. The Cowboys will have their work cut out of them to contain the Red V on Saturday.

Head to head in the NRL era (since 1998)
  • Played: 30; Cowboys 15 wins, Dragons 15 wins
  • Latest result: Dragons beat Cowboys 24-10 in round 19, 2018
  • At this venue: Cowboys 54% wins, Dragons 27% wins

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/09/north-queensland-cowboys-v-st-george-illawarra-dragons-preview/

SnowDragon

Juniors
Well he usually doesn’t change his mind quickly. If Frizz at lock and Host on the edge are kicking arse (which I expect they will) then hopefully Korbin replaces Latimore on the bench.
The big question is Dufty and how he’s used. There’s gonna be a utility back who gets limited minutes, that’s clear. If I was gonna try to predict the most likely way things will go pear shaped (which they may not, eternal optimist here) then it’ll be Aitken’s defence in question and the Dufty spine shuffle experiment that’ll go wrong. Most likely move Mary makes then is Lomax to centre and I wouldn’t be surprised to see aitken take the number 14 then and get used in the middle like Mann last year. He’s not super creative our Mary so that’s most likely. Timing wise, there’s a pretty good chance that Aiken’s gonna let in tries vs both Souths and broncos, so round 4 is my bet.

I am probably alone in this thought, but I believe Aitken could be a great 14. He can do forward replacement if needed, and fill in as a backs utility too. The problem in my mind with Dufty, is that I only see him at FB...

jeffdragon

Bench

Will be going to reserves game on Friday,as I used to live close by.
Will see who's in on Friday and post here if I can to see who didn't go to Townsville.