What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1... Who to select??

Twenty10

Juniors
With the bitterly disappointing trial form and with our gun attacking weapon (Dugan) out for the first month, how the hell do we put a team together that we can be optimistic about? It's obvious we lack size so I think that's the first issue that needs to be addressed. I think groat needs to come in. With no Dugan I also think we need to look at Morris to play fullback. When he played there a couple of years ago he was dynamic. If only for 4 games I think it's worth doing. We have enough steady players to play wing. The other issue is half back and hooker. Rein is just not smart enough. Tough yes, but he lacks the skill and footy brain we need. Half back?? I think Witt has put his hand up. Williams and Stanley were very ordinary. A few players need a wake up call (de belin and rein). This is the team I would pick to play tigers?

8. Stockwell
9. Garvey - price will pick rein
10. Creagh
11. Thompson
12. Ah Mau
13. Merrin

7. Witt - seems our best option going on form)
6. Widdop
5. Nightingale
4. Matty uuuuu tttttaaaiiiiii (again on form he's in front of charlie and Dylan)
3. Beale
2. Farrell
1. Morris (with no Dugan Morris is only attacking player who can provide punch from the back)

Bench: frizzel, groat, hunt / de belin/ Harrison , Quinlan.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
With the bitterly disappointing trial form and with our gun attacking weapon (Dugan) out for the first month, how the hell do we put a team together that we can be optimistic about? It's obvious we lack size so I think that's the first issue that needs to be addressed. I think groat needs to come in. With no Dugan I also think we need to look at Morris to play fullback. When he played there a couple of years ago he was dynamic. If only for 4 games I think it's worth doing. We have enough steady players to play wing. The other issue is half back and hooker. Rein is just not smart enough. Tough yes, but he lacks the skill and footy brain we need. Half back?? I think Witt has put his hand up. Williams and Stanley were very ordinary. A few players need a wake up call (de belin and rein). This is the team I would pick to play tigers?

8. Stockwell
9. Garvey - price will pick rein
10. Creagh
11. Thompson
12. Ah Mau
13. Merrin

7. Witt - seems our best option going on form)
6. Widdop
5. Nightingale
4. Matty uuuuu tttttaaaiiiiii (again on form he's in front of charlie and Dylan)
3. Beale
2. Farrell
1. Morris (with no Dugan Morris is only attacking player who can provide punch from the back)

Bench: frizzel, groat, hunt / de belin/ Harrison , Quinlan.

Agree but I'd go with Quinlan at 1...we already tried the Morris at 1 experiment last year and it didn't work. Also can't see Price dropping Rein so the best we can hope for is a Garvey/Rein hooker combo.

Twenty10

Juniors
Agree but I'd go with Quinlan at 1...we already tried the Morris at 1 experiment last year and it didn't work.

Mate I thought Morris at 1 worked brilliantly. Even had good judges calling for him to stay there. But the work load of a full season wasn't his go. I am only suggesting a move to fullback for first month. Will give us similar punch that Dugan does.

getsmarty

Immortal
Mate I thought Morris at 1 worked brilliantly. Even had good judges calling for him to stay there. But the work load of a full season wasn't his go. I am only suggesting a move to fullback for first month. Will give us similar punch that Dugan does.

Fair enough, although You'd need to convince Morris. I still think we are better served with Quinlan at 1...If you play him from the bench its as a utility most likely hooker which is not his position.

hardbaby

Coach

Morris doesn't have the passing game to suit fullback but he did hit the line hard, breaks lots of tackles and was dangerous. Personally I'd choose Quinlan. I love his support play. I'd definitely stick with Williams. He needs to build a combination with Widdop and that will take time. He is easily our best half. As for Rein, he had an unfortunate match. They won't drop him based on that performance. But I'd like to see him in a H2H battle with Garvey with Style dropping back to the Cutters to gain some confidence and match fitness. I really admire Rein's toughness but he is a limited player.

The Mighty Atom

Juniors
I'd go :
1 Quinlan 2 Morris 3 Matu'aita 4 Runciman 5 Nightingale 6 Widdop 7 Witt 13 Merrin 12 Creagh 11 Ah Mau 10 Stockwell 9 Rein 8 de Belin with a bench of 14 Garvey 15 Cooper 16 Hunt 17 Groat
At least those guys appeared to make an effort yesterday.
Of course, we all know that Chinless will pick Williams at 1/2 and have Frizzel and "Cleanskin" in the forwards. (obvious nickname for Harrison as he never gets his jumper dirty which might make his mum happy but doesn't do us much good).

TruSaint

Referee
Price will have Rein as first choice. No doubt T10.

Message to Mitch " RL was played since 1895 with 13 man a side teams. Yes 13 man a side.
I urge you to reach out to the other 12... every now and then. They may surprise you. "

Message to Price " Since you wont stand down, before you have a few Crownies with Doustie, pick the team that deserved to be picked based on what we have seen and not your blind ideology, that a frog can turn into a Prince".

Message to Doust " Call an extraordinary general meeting, not to discuss the the patrons dismay of cold beer, or to order pizza and replay the 2010 GF, but rather to take a hard look at where this Club is now".

I expect all three replies to my private email by no later than 5 pm Monday EST. Otherwise heads will roll.

TS.
Member with no say

Twenty10

Juniors
Groat is looking massive at the moment. He must come in. Mike cooper was unimpressive and he's not big.

dragonzero

Juniors
For me it's

1. Dugan/Quinlan
2. Morris
3. Beale
4. Mattautai
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Williams
8. Merrin
9. Rein
10. Stockwell
11. Thompson
12. Creagh
13. DeBelin

14. Garvey
15. Hunt
16. Frizzel
17. Ah Mau

On paper we have a cracking side but it's the ill discipline that let's them down on game day.

Twenty10

Juniors
For me it's

1. Dugan/Quinlan
2. Morris
3. Beale
4. Mattautai
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Williams
8. Merrin
9. Rein
10. Stockwell
11. Thompson
12. Creagh
13. DeBelin

14. Garvey
15. Hunt
16. Frizzel
17. Ah Mau

On paper we have a cracking side but it's the ill discipline that let's them down on game day.

I'm not sure we can keep saying that though... De belin and friz etc haven't owned another pack to date. Until these guys step up we will be over rated

itsme

Juniors
Can people please stopping suggesting Groat be included in the NRL side based on the way he looks. He should be nowhere near first grade based on form or football ability for that matter. Watch the guy play for gods sake before making judgement on him!!!

TruSaint

Referee
Can people please stopping suggesting Groat be included in the NRL side based on the way he looks. He should be nowhere near first grade based on form or football ability for that matter. Watch the guy play for gods sake before making judgement on him!!!

Ummmm, haven't seen him play yet.

Sure, after he plays for us, opinions can be forged.
Until then, i will reserve judgement.

Twenty10

Juniors
Ummmm, haven't seen him play yet.

Sure, after he plays for us, opinions can be forged.
Until then, i will reserve judgement.

Ive seen enough of him to know he's better than hunt. And size does matter champ! Currently we are f**king tiny and can't stop any pack from steam rolling us!

BrissyRedV

Bench
Souths really highlighted how small our pack is. We really lacked any real go forward from the pack and struggled to gain any momentum with the way Souths dominated the ruck with their bigger bodies. Without the go forward the backs just did not have the time. Personally, for round 1, we need some bigger bodies to come on and the pack needs to play smarter. Running as a pack with little tip ons to try and provide space and reduce the number of bodies the opposition team can get in the ruck would be a good start and some hard running onto the ball would also help. My team for round 1:
1. Dugan/Quinlan
2. Bmoz
3. Beale
4. Farrell
5. Flo
6. Widdop
7. Williams
8. Ailaomaoli
9. Garvey
10. Creagh
11. Frizz
12. Thompson
13. Merrin
14. Witt/Quinlan
15. Stockwell
16. De Belin
17. Ah Mau

The back line needs time to settle and gel. The more time they spend together the better. The forwards just need to step up and give them the time and space they need. Ailaomaoli has some size about him and hits the line hard. Ah Mau on the bench has size too and I think should play tighter.

itsme

Juniors
Ive seen enough of him to know he's better than hunt. And size does matter champ! Currently we are f**king tiny and can't stop any pack from steam rolling us!

He is big....yes. He looks mean....yes. But that means shit on the football field. He can't use his size, and ain't a very good footballer.

I think it's sill to say someone must come in because they are looking massive.

Last edited:

itsme

Juniors
He is big....yes. He looks mean....yes. But that means shit on the football field. He can't use his size, and ain't a very good footballer.

I think it's silly to say someone must come in because they are looking massive.

TruSaint

Referee

No one said that buddy.
Lets see him have a game or two first.
Its not as if we are gifted with props at present...

Louiethefly

Juniors
If Stanley can still kick goals exceptionally well I'd start him at 7 (with the limited tries we'll be scoring, converting them will be important), none of Witt Williams or Stanley did anything extraordinary at halfback, but at least with Stanley you get a good goal kicker and he can tackle well. If he can't kick goals anymore stick with Williams.

Don't know how Garvey will go defending in the opening 20 if he starts at 9... But Rein is too selfish, so might as well give him a crack. Witt to come off the bench.

I always liked Mata'utia when he played for Newcastle, seems to have good pace and knows how to hit a hole. Beale or Runciman on the left.

Latest posts