What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 v Souths

Dragonslayer

First Grade
One
I'm starting to get the impression Flanno has a different methodology to what a lot of us would expect.

I have worked in communications my whole adult life and when fault finding issues or problems, which happens a lot, only changing 1 thing at a time is very important to identifying the root cause.

Over the first 10 rounds, consistency has been our biggest issue.

Some games, our defence is really cohesive and aggressive. Others it is disjointed and passive.

Some games, our attack looks fluid and connected and threatening. Other games, it looks clunky, misdirected and limp.

As a team, some players have looked really good at times, and at other times, really poor. Lomax and Su'A have been up there as our best for example. But both had shockers against the roosters and dolphins respectively.

From the outside looking in, it seems to me to be an attitude problem, not a systems problem because both our attack and defence have looked really good at different stages. Players not getting up for every single game is the issue as I see it.

If I were a betting man. I am looking at the first ten rounds and am under the impression Flanno has given his top 20 players these rounds to sort things out. See how the team responds. If he kept chopping and changing players every week, he wouldn't know if it was the players, systems or attitudes that were the problem.

This has also given Toby and Ryan the chance to stand out and stake their claim. If they were in and out of the team, they wouldn't be posting the numbers they are because they wouldn't be THE guys. But by giving them time in NSW cup, Flanno has a real idea that they are too good for that level and can start to filter them through and trust them to play a role, not just blood them because he is desperate.

Come round 12, I could be proven well wrong. But if you keep chopping and changing the team after every win or lose, you never know what team you have.

One of the most awesome posts I've read on here.

justadragon

Bench
I'm starting to get the impression Flanno has a different methodology to what a lot of us would expect.

I have worked in communications my whole adult life and when fault finding issues or problems, which happens a lot, only changing 1 thing at a time is very important to identifying the root cause.

Some games, our defence is really cohesive and aggressive. Others it is disjointed and passive.

Some games, our attack looks fluid and connected and threatening. Other games, it looks clunky, misdirected and limp.

As a team, some players have looked really good at times, and at other times, really poor. Lomax and Su'A have been up there as our best for example. But both had shockers against the roosters and dolphins respectively.

From the outside looking in, it seems to me to be an attitude problem, not a systems problem because both our attack and defence have looked really good at different stages. Players not getting up for every single game is the issue as I see it.

If I were a betting man. I am looking at the first ten rounds and am under the impression Flanno has given his top 20 players these rounds to sort things out. See how the team responds. If he kept chopping and changing players every week, he wouldn't know if it was the players, systems or attitudes that were the problem.

This has also given Toby and Ryan the chance to stand out and stake their claim. If they were in and out of the team, they wouldn't be posting the numbers they are because they wouldn't be THE guys. But by giving them time in NSW cup, Flanno has a real idea that they are too good for that level and can start to filter them through and trust them to play a role, not just blood them because he is desperate.

Come round 12, I could be proven well wrong. But if you keep chopping and changing the team after every win or lose, you never know what team you have.
I would tend to agree with you BDS, but as both you and I know working on those systems could also indicate that the same part is faulty all the time, or has a history of breaking down. In that case I would change the model for a new improved one without wasting my time to see what effect it has on the rest of the system. my reference is to part Bird and part Lawrie.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
There’s a bit of a litmus test in this game.
Ivan Cleary expected it.
Saints are expected to win and the pressure is on to win.
However - Souths ( with Mitchell) have nothing to loose. They’ll walk onto this a the gunslinger.
Cook, Walker and all have points to prove.
Add the Bennett shadow looming large well
They want go keep their jobs.
If Saints win. (Possibly big ) goodo
But if we fold and loose. We will have (knives out) and looking for blood.
I was optimistic with the Roosters game.
since then - well!!
I’m not so sure with this.

justadragon

Bench
There’s a bit of a litmus test in this game.
Ivan Cleary expected it.
Saints are expected to win and the pressure is on to win.
However - Souths ( with Mitchell) have nothing to loose. They’ll walk onto this a the gunslinger.
Cook, Walker and all have points to prove.
Add the Bennett shadow looming large well
They want go keep their jobs.
If Saints win. (Possibly big ) goodo
But if we fold and loose. We will have (knives out) and looking for blood.
I was optimistic with the Roosters game.
since then - well!!
I’m not so sure with this.
!00%, this game smacks of things just being way too difficult.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I would tend to agree with you BDS, but as both you and I know working on those systems could also indicate that the same part is faulty all the time, or has a history of breaking down. In that case I would change the model for a new improved one without wasting my time to see what effect it has on the rest of the system. my reference is to part Bird and part Lawrie.
Personally, I agree with you 100%. When it comes time to actually start pulling hardware, those are the first two pieces I would start with. But right now, I think Flanno is simply applying software patches (RunHardTackleHard.exe) and seeing if that fixes the issue.

;)

TheRev

First Grade
Personally, I agree with you 100%. When it comes time to actually start pulling hardware, those are the first two pieces I would start with. But right now, I think Flanno is simply applying software patches (RunHardTackleHard.exe) and seeing if that fixes the issue.

;)
we are definitely going to continue with that patch regardless, but if we lose to Souths I think there will be a different upgrade path on tuesday.

redv13

Bench
Geez there’s some nervous nellies in here this week. I’ll go against the grain and say that I’m confident and we win comfortably tomorrow.

Suli back is huge and having him Rava and Zac returning the ball will make a huge difference.

It was 12-10 vs Cronulla with 15 to go and although it went pear shaped they still hung in there and lost by 10, away to the team running 1st with the best defence so far for 2024. Be confident people!!

56to66

Juniors
Just Dissolve the supermerge, come on Mr Twiggy Fluffy and Cute, Souffs to embarrAss wipes St Dargon Steelers.
Souffs by 32.
What an Insult to that Good Jersey, God bless the St George Dragons, the greatest of all time rugby league.

Last edited:
Just Dissolve the supermerge, come on Mr Twiggy Fluffy and Cute, Souffs to embarrAss wipes St Dargon Steelers.
Souffs by 32.
What an Insult to that Good Jersey, God bless the St George Dragons, the greatest of all time rugby league.

St George Illawarra was left out of round 1 last year and now Magic Round. We are the skid-marked stained undies of the competition in the eyes of its admin.
The game forced us to merge and allowed sharks, roosters and souths to stand alone. 11 in a row was not enough to save St George and so it's only a matter of time til you get your wish. We can't string a few wins together, ever. What do we have to bring to the comp?
Now the NRL are bringing in more teams. Not enough players to go around and we, the dysfunctional merged entity, cannot even get the off cuts of the lowly ranked teams. All our good youth is playing elsewhere or simply not nurtured at all (at least pre-flanno).

We are on our way out. Who will stop it happening?

KingFlanno7

Juniors

Great post.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Shibasaki is not really a rookie, but is below SG ball level lol. Bloke is shocking, I'm surprised he's made it back. In saying that, watch him score 3 tries tomorrow lol
His career stats says has made 29(?) FG appearances in 7 years for multiple clubs and been rejected. He is apparently playing for Townsville Blackhawks(?) now and Hornby has called him for this game. Maybe should have called him "some sort of temporary filler" rather than a rookie. I standby my evaluation that on paper Lomax is much better than him

Latest posts