What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 v Souths

Mojo

Bench
Rava has dropped these types of things a few times and he’s going back to his old ways. Unfortunately I don’t think tamale will get a go until origin. Finau looks a classy player also.
Sloan should have thrown a conventional two handed pass. Then it would have been to Rava’s chest, catch and a rampaging, beautiful try. It’s a fine line between pleasure and pain.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Since when has 'dog' been a racist slur? Black and white people can be dogs. More to do with the type of person you are. What about weak gutted dogs? Is that only for white dogs?
I actually think 'cat' is a more apt term for both of them, but I don't want to be labelled an animalist.
Happened a few rows in front of me in the Grandstand, security came over, spoke to the guy(Dragons supporter) and the Souths fans, cops came over about 6 of them but nothing happened, then the souths guy left and shortly after the Dragons guy as well, all i heard was shouting but didnt realise it was a racial slur which started it, either way if he is a member they will know who it is, if he bought tickets they would have his Credit Card details, so no escaping for him..

since77

Juniors
Apparantly Mitchell was called a B Bastard and Walker a dog.

Given Sam Kerr calling a cop a stupid white bastard isnt racism then there doesnt look to be a lot in this.
If someone called Mitchell that then that is indeed terrible and hopefully the person is punished appropriately.

However whoever called Cody Walker a dog was quite correct and should have a statue erected in their honour next to the Paul Kent tree.

Victoire

Juniors
He is just awful Blake Lawrie, I actually can't believe there's a sprinkling of fans still defending him.
Sounds like you're playing my entrance music here :D Ok then!

I re-watched the game last night (only something I do when we win btw), and, apropos of nothing, I noticed this particular set of six in the first half. Ben Hunt put in a giant kick that took an unfortunate bounce and went dead - gifting Souths a 7 tackle set. These sets are often momentum changers, they virtually guarantee passage to the other end of the field and require the defensive effort to be cranked up. And Souths sensed a chance - they moved the ball to the edges multiple times in this set. Anyway, here's what I noticed.

Zero, off the tap - middle of the field
Capture1.JPG

Tackle 1 - towards our left edge
Capture2.JPG

Tackle 3 - right edge now. Souths sent it wide to to big Tom Burgess trying to isolate a smaller man, but Lawrie followed him out there.
Capture3.JPG

Tackle 5 near the posts now. Tallis Duncan puts some footwork on Eisenhuth and beats him. Look who cleans up.
Capture4.JPG

Cody Walker's kick was then easily cleaned up on the last - pressure off. Sadly Moses Suli then spilled the ball on tackle 2 so the pressure was back on again and we had to produced more defence.

But I guess what I noticed here is an apparent fat hopeless heap of shit coming up with effort on effort on effort across the full width of the field. It's not match-winning or game-changing in and of itself, but maybe it's what the respective coaches see in Blake Lawrie and why he keeps getting picked.

He's had a couple of shockers with his hands this year but he's not the leper he's made out to be. Sele and Molo are deserved starters but Lawrie is doing the job we need

Parko1310

Juniors

I re-watched the game last night (only something I do when we win btw), and, apropos of nothing, I noticed this particular set of six in the first half. Ben Hunt put in a giant kick that took an unfortunate bounce and went dead - gifting Souths a 7 tackle set. These sets are often momentum changers, they virtually guarantee passage to the other end of the field and require the defensive effort to be cranked up. And Souths sensed a chance - they moved the ball to the edges multiple times in this set. Anyway, here's what I noticed.

View attachment 87935

View attachment 87936

Tackle 3 - right edge now. Souths sent it wide to to big Tom Burgess trying to isolate a smaller man, but Lawrie followed him out there.
View attachment 87937

Tackle 5 near the posts now. Tallis Duncan puts some footwork on Eisenhuth and beats him. Look who cleans up.
View attachment 87938

Cody Walker's kick was then easily cleaned up on the last - pressure off. Sadly Moses Suli then spilled the ball on tackle 2 so the pressure was back on again and we had to produced more defence.

But I guess what I noticed here is an apparent fat hopeless heap of shit coming up with effort on effort on effort across the full width of the field. It's not match-winning or game-changing in and of itself, but maybe it's what the respective coaches see in Blake Lawrie and why he keeps getting picked.

He's had a couple of shockers with his hands this year but he's not the leper he's made out to be. Sele and Molo are deserved starters but Lawrie is doing the job we need
You've missed the entire point again. No one is questioning his effort. Not one person is. They're questioning what he provides.. which is dog shit output. How many of those tackles led to quick play the balls? I'm pretty sure you've actually picked out one of the same sets I was talking about in my main post which makes this pretty convenient. Notice how Souths made us scramble off the back of a Blake Lawrie tackle where he couldn't get to marker? We then didn't have a set line, and we were in trouble. Because of Lawrie. Again, no one is questioning his effort. But his ability is non-existent

Last edited:

KingFlanno7

Juniors

View attachment 87935

View attachment 87936

View attachment 87937

View attachment 87938

Wow, what a waste of time come on.

Victoire

Juniors
You've missed the entire point again. No one is questioning his effort. Not one person is. They're questioning what he provides.. which is dog shit output. How many of those tackles led to quick play the balls? I'm pretty sure you've actually picked out the same set I was mainly talking about in my main post which makes this pretty convenient. Notice how Souths made us scramble off the back of a Blake Lawrie tackle where he couldn't get to marker? We then didn't have a set line, and we were in trouble. Because of Lawrie. Again, no one is questioning his effort. But his ability is non-existent
The effort is the point though. What if he's not there on Burgess? He runs an extra 5 to 10 metres and probably offloads. What if he's not there to clean up the Eisenhuth miss on Duncan? Duncan probably scores a try.

Parko1310

Juniors
The effort is the point though. What if he's not there on Burgess? He runs an extra 5 to 10 metres and probably offloads. What if he's not there to clean up the Eisenhuth miss on Duncan? Duncan probably scores a try.
There's no way you're giving credit to him for making the tackle on Burgess. That was just regulation, if he wasn't there then there's something seriously wrong. There's a play in between his last tackle, he had plenty of time to get over there. That is his position in the line. On that tackle though, if he doesn't fail to control the ruck and get to marker, there is no quick play the ball and extra space for souths to take advantage of. We are never in the position where he needs to make that tackle on Duncan. He puts us in that position. Not to mention, just on the Burgess play, notice how Lawrie is the A defender, yet is lumbering behind RFM who is at B? His line speed is behind the line, whilst he's standing at A. That is awful play, and partly causes Burgess to be able to control that ruck through dominating the intial contact and getting onto his stomach and elbows.

Victoire

Juniors
There's no way you're giving credit to him for making the tackle on Burgess. That was just regulation, if he wasn't there then there's something seriously wrong. There's a play in between his last tackle, he had plenty of time to get over there. That is his position in the line. On that tackle though, if he doesn't fail to control the ruck and get to marker, there is no quick play the ball and extra space for souths to take advantage of. We are never in the position where he needs to make that tackle on Duncan. He puts us in that position. Not to mention, just on the Burgess play, notice how Lawrie is the A defender, yet is lumbering behind RFM who is at B? His line speed is behind the line, whilst he's standing at A. That is awful play, and partly causes Burgess to be able to control that ruck through dominating the intial contact and getting onto his stomach and elbows.
Actually he didn't have plenty of time to get over there, the tackle in between BMM didn't get Koloamatangi to the ground. It was a quick play the ball. Thats the real reason Souths got the roll on in the set. There was then an offload from Latrell that had us stripped prior to the Duncan run.

Parko1310

Juniors
Actually he didn't have plenty of time to get over there, the tackle in between BMM didn't get Koloamatangi to the ground. It was a quick play the ball. Thats the real reason Souths got the roll on in the set. There was then an offload from Latrell that had us stripped prior to the Duncan run.
You're telling me that 11 seconds for him to get across the field 22 metres isn't enough? Wow. The offload is in the play I'm talking about where we have to scramble because Lawrie provides souths with a quick play the ball (through no ruck control and a lack of line speed + weak contact) and space (by failing to get to marker). There is often offloads when teams are left scrambling to make tackles. He was the cause of that.

TheRev

First Grade

View attachment 87935

View attachment 87936

View attachment 87937

View attachment 87938

I always appreciate a well thought-out counter-point-of-view to the 1-way river that is the football forum, ty sir!

since77

Juniors

View attachment 87935

View attachment 87936

View attachment 87937

View attachment 87938

Take as many screenshots as you want.
Blake Lawrie is shite.

Victoire

Juniors
I always appreciate a well thought-out counter-point-of-view to the 1-way river that is the football forum, ty sir!
haha

68747470733a2f2f7777772e6c6f6e6772616e676568756e74696e672e636f6d2f6174746163686d656e74732f73746172736869702d74726f6f7065722d646f696e672d6d792d706172742d6769662e3134383139342f

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Well, we got away with Souths- that's about all. Yes the conditions were damp, but Flanno has decided to adopt Roy and HG's motto that RL is a simple game for simple blokes. Guile and deception is for the advanced class and that's beyond the SGI class of 24.

HIgh completion rates are the aim. One out running or as Simon Poidevin once described the current RL rules- "5 hit ups and a kick". All attacking risk is taken out of the game and with the normal flow of penalties and SIX AGAIN, it's not unreasonable to expect to spend a considerable amount of time in the opposition's red zone and score some tries and kick some goals.

It was mind numbing to watch and I fell asleep a few times but Flanno's plan was largely successful EXCEPT....

Ben Hunt's kicking- suffice it to say that if he had been a bomber pilot in WW2, the allies would have lost the war. Not only can't he thread a short kick through a defensive line into the in goal, he can't seem to land a bomb within 5 metres of the imaginary X marks the spot. Our troops are almost always arriving after the bomb has been diffused and the receiver on his merry way.

We may be in the 8 (or near to it) after the bye but as I can feel no joy or enthusiam for the next round of high completion at all cost football and wayward kicking. I"m amusing myself with what might be an exciting left side attack in 2025. After watching Tamale, in the KOE, I'm thinking that we should take the plunge on a young and exciting left edge combination of Tamale left centre and Jesse Williams on the wing. Flick bird and move Suli to the right.

Probably won't happen and people like me will continue to not come to games and follow from a distance.

Victoire

Juniors
Well, we got away with Souths- that's about all. Yes the conditions were damp, but Flanno has decided to adopt Roy and HG's motto that RL is a simple game for simple blokes. Guile and deception is for the advanced class and that's beyond the SGI class of 24.

HIgh completion rates are the aim. One out running or as Simon Poidevin once described the current RL rules- "5 hit ups and a kick". All attacking risk is taken out of the game and with the normal flow of penalties and SIX AGAIN, it's not unreasonable to expect to spend a considerable amount of time in the opposition's red zone and score some tries and kick some goals.

It was mind numbing to watch and I fell asleep a few times but Flanno's plan was largely successful EXCEPT....

Ben Hunt's kicking- suffice it to say that if he had been a bomber pilot in WW2, the allies would have lost the war. Not only can't he thread a short kick through a defensive line into the in goal, he can't seem to land a bomb within 5 metres of the imaginary X marks the spot. Our troops are almost always arriving after the bomb has been diffused and the receiver on his merry way.

Disagree with this. The game plan was appropriate for the conditions. In previous wet games they've been too keen to attack as normal, which invariably led to errors and pressure and fatigue and an L. The conservative approach was perfect and did the job. I was pleased to see that the team was capable of it - especially Hunt who previously seemed clueless in the wet.

I also have to disagree on Hunts kicking game v Souths. He has been awful the last couple of games but against the Bunnies it was immeasurably better, and his kicks got enough good results for us to win his allies "the war". A try for Lomax from a grubber, and two bombs in the second half got a knock-on and a penalty goal respectively. That's a decent return by anyone's books. You can't expect score off all of them.

kit66

Bench

View attachment 87935

View attachment 87936

View attachment 87937

View attachment 87938

2 or 3 years ago Lawrie played some games off the bench and was the best on park but then got promoted back to starting prop and instantly went back to being the plodder we all know and love. He's great off the bench, that's it, leave him where he belongs. He'll struggle to hold onto that spot though given how well some of the KOE Cup boys are going - both Couchman boys and Fifita for example - so he has an extra incentive to make a mark.