What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs. Wests Tigers

Big Pete

Referee
Wests Tigers vs. Brisbane Broncos
Leichardt Oval, Friday 17 July 2020
Kick Off 7:55pm

TL-WST20a.png

1. Adam Doueihi 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Chris Lawrence 4. Moses Mbye 5. Tommy Talau 6. Billy Walters 7. Benji Marshall 8. Josh Aloiai 9. Harry Grant 10. Russell Packer 11. Luke Garner 12. Luciano Leilua 13. Matt Eisenhuth

Interchange: 14. Sam McIntyre 15. Thomas Mikaele 16. Luke Brooks 17. Chris McQueen

Reserves: 18. Oliver Clark 19. Reece Hoffman 20. Shawn Blore 21. Michael Chee-Kam

TL-BRI20a.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Herbie Farnworth 4. Darius Boyd 5. Xavier Coates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Brodie Croft 8. Tevita Pangai Junior 9. Issac Luke 10. Payne Haas 11. Ben Te'o 12. Corey Oates 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Cory Paix 15. Thomas Flegler 16. Jamil Hopoate 17. Joe Ofahengaue

Reserves: 18. Tom Dearden 19. Rhys Kennedy 20. Richard Kennar 21. Tyson Gamble

Big Pete

Referee
Just when it appeared the Broncos could finally start rebuilding, more injuries rear their ugly head and set the club back. Skipper Alex Glenn has torn his MCL and will miss 8 weeks on the sideline and Herbie Farnworth is in doubt after picking up a nasty cork on the weekend - Kennar is likely to come in for him.

It was pandomonium at training with Niu, Farnworth and Coates all on the sideline. Seibold has reassured the media that Niu and Coates will play, but for a second it appeared whiz kid Reece Walsh was about to get a call up.

I thought there was a chance we'd see Kotoni Staggs, David Fifita, Jesse Arthars, Jake Turpin, Matt Lodge back from Brisbane but it appears they're a week or two away at this stage. The only player who has actually come in is Origin forward Ofahengaue who returns after serving time for his shoulder charge.

Very important game for the Broncos regardless. Last week was a welcome relief, but they still made 17 errors and it was only against the last placed Bulldogs. A good performance against Wests would at least give them some momentum and allow them to finish on a happier note.

Big Pete

Referee
It's amazing what happens when they play against quality opposition. It appeared they just wanted to play a scrimmage and were upset the Tigers dared to play actual footy. Some of the efforts on the line was embarrasing, just all arms and there was no urgency to get to the ball. If anything they're lucky the referee started giving them a few calls late and the Tigers put the cue in the rack after 50 odd minutes.

I'll write up my player thoughts when I catch the replay, but just a horrific night. Fingers cross the injury isn't as bad as what it appears for Oates.

Nerd

Bench
I feel sorry for Oates as it appeared to be a compound fracture so end of season and hopefully doesn't effect the rest of his career.

Since the season is obviously gone if and it's a big if Siebold is still around it's time to start experimenting for next year. Time to finally tap Darius on the shoulder and start looking at options for next year. Milford is not a 5/8 so back to fullback for him, maybe try Paix in the halves and seriously look at whether it is worthwhile keeping Isaako on the books.

Our defence is atrocious our attack lacks any sort of cohesion and the players just aren't putting in which all reflects on the coach.

Nerd

Bench
Surely Siebolds time is up? His refusal to sack non performing players is just bizarre. Look at his opposite Maguire for example Benji wasn't playing well so got the flick. Croft wasn't playing up to standard at the Storm last year so Bellamy dumped him just before the semi's. I think until Boyd is gone and Milford is moved out of the halves we will have to endure being at the bottom of the ladder for the foreseeable future.

The lackluster effort from the players just reeks of the coach losing the team. We need a new coach and to give the players a not too subtle message that performance now matters a few of them have to be shown the door as well. Thankfully Boyd is retiring but Isaako, Bird and Milford are taking up a lot of salary space and at the moment rookies would put in more value than this lot. I know Bird is injured but some times a player just doesn't work at a club and he is a perfect example. Why Bennett wanted to sign him to such a high value long term deal didn't make sense then and still doesn't now. The fact that the Broncos board let these signings happen also shows that White should possibly be shown the door asap as well. It appears that Ben Ikin is going to throw his hat into the ring for Broncos CEO. I hope so because our current management including Lockyer don't appear to have a clue how to manage a roster.

League guru

Juniors
Whilst Siebold may not be the best coach in the business you can't hold him accountable for blokes not even trying. When you play footie you know within yourself if you've gone alright or not. If Milford, TPG, Boyd and a few others can actually say they tried, they are kidding themselves. It's ironic that the highest paid players are the worst performers.

johns_reds

First Grade
Whilst Siebold may not be the best coach in the business you can't hold him accountable for blokes not even trying. When you play footie you know within yourself if you've gone alright or not. If Milford, TPG, Boyd and a few others can actually say they tried, they are kidding themselves. It's ironic that the highest paid players are the worst performers.
Agreed 100%.
The guys have just given up and don’t want to try, They are just waiting for the coach to get the sack now.

Dearden has to come into the team next week with Milford dropped.

Boyd hasn’t tried in two years, not sure why they don’t just send him home on garden leave for the rest of the season and move on, He offers nothing for them whilst he is in the team and around the club, just teaches the young guys how to give up.

Bronco18

Juniors
Seibold beat Madge for the Broncos job.....Madge wouldnt have put up with the shit your stars are dishing.

Yes and no - we need Madges discipline no doubt. Seibold looks well out of his depth.

BUT the Nine commentators last night need to look at the squads. “Madge knows what’s up, he’ll drop players who are underperforming...” Well who do the Broncos bring in for Croft/Milford? 19 year old Deardon (who hasn’t been playing reserve grade) asked to be the saviour to steer around a bumbling rookie team? Who do we bring in for Boyd with Staggs, Oates, Bird and Farnsworth out of the backs? Even stop gap centre solutions like Glenn and Fifita are out. Another gumby like Kennar should come in? Hell if it’s just on form and attitude Boyd isn’t even one of the worst - anyone who is being impartial can see that Isaako is far more of a liability. It’s all well and good to axe Brooks if you can bring in someone like Marshall and even Walters....

Seibold deserves blame for the attitude, defence and partially the recruitment. But the blame should also be directed to Lockyer and White.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Yes and no - we need Madges discipline no doubt. Seibold looks well out of his depth.

BUT the Nine commentators last night need to look at the squads. “Madge knows what’s up, he’ll drop players who are underperforming...” Well who do the Broncos bring in for Croft/Milford? 19 year old Deardon (who hasn’t been playing reserve grade) asked to be the saviour to steer around a bumbling rookie team? Who do we bring in for Boyd with Staggs, Oates, Bird and Farnsworth out of the backs? Even stop gap centre solutions like Glenn and Fifita are out. Another gumby like Kennar should come in? Hell if it’s just on form and attitude Boyd isn’t even one of the worst - anyone who is being impartial can see that Isaako is far more of a liability. It’s all well and good to axe Brooks if you can bring in someone like Marshall and even Walters....

Seibold deserves blame for the attitude, defence and partially the recruitment. But the blame should also be directed to Lockyer and White.
Raiders have been decimated with injuries as well. You only need to go back to the finals last yerar to see this isn't just about injuries.

Who do you bring in???

Nikorima....oh that's right.....A 19 year old kid who'll try his guts out and give his all vs the shell shocked maradonna who looks like he doesn't give a shit.

It actually looks like some of those Broncos need a break mentally.

Attitude is about coaching.

Bronco18

Juniors
Raiders have been decimated with injuries as well. You only need to go back to the finals last yerar to see this isn't just about injuries.

Who do you bring in???

Nikorima....oh that's right.....A 19 year old kid who'll try his guts out and give his all vs the shell shocked maradonna who looks like he doesn't give a shit.

It actually looks like some of those Broncos need a break mentally.

Attitude is about coaching.

I’m still wary - last time we were at our last lowest ebb (ie Henjack years) we brought in Hunt and Copley among others. We got mauled by the Sharks. I’m not unconvinced that the exposure permanently stunted some of that golden generation of ‘08 youngsters we had.

Now we’re in even worse shape and I’m not sure throwing youngsters to the wolves against the Storm will be the right option.

Milf and Boyd’s time is up this year, that is for certain. Maybe it should wait until Fifita, Staggs, Farnsworth are back. Yes that is where we are, where those 22/21 year olds are the experienced players.

blaza88z

Coach
In the perfect world blokes like Isaako and Milford would be sat out but who do you bring in? Isaako looks like his confidence is absolutely shot, Boyd is a scape goat but you can't say he's not having a go, he's just that far past his best that he's not offering a whole lot

Milford, I don't know what they do with him.

Bronco18

Juniors
In the perfect world blokes like Isaako and Milford would be sat out but who do you bring in? Isaako looks like his confidence is absolutely shot, Boyd is a scape goat but you can't say he's not having a go, he's just that far past his best that he's not offering a whole lot

He’s cut when the rest of the team is back and we hope a super league club/foreign rugby bites for a chunk of his contract. It won’t be easy as his name is mud in the NRL.

Big Pete

Referee

Credit to Canberra but they're at a completely different stage of their development as a football club. How long has it taken Ricky to build that kind of resilience? 7 years? I can't recall them ever playing this poorly but then I don't recall Ricky ever going under a rebuild, let alone a rebuild during a worldwide pandemic.

Judging from the trials, 2020 was always going to be a tough year for the club but just the conditions the club has found itself in has been worsen by the conditions.

Nerd

Bench

When Turpin comes back maybe Paix into the halves and Milford to fullback?

Mr Spock!

Referee
Reported that Seibold's been given an ultimatum to win 5 of the next 10 games or pack his bags.

League guru

Juniors
When Turpin comes back maybe Paix into the halves and Milford to fullback?
Yep, play him fullback for one game. Then we can put to bed how pathetic he actually is going and that he doesn't deserve to be selected in any position.

Big Pete

Referee
Niu - Was targetted mecilessly by Marshall all evening and was exposed on numerous occassions. He struggled to get into the game and was bullied with the ball in hand. It appears he's injured his wrist and will miss the rest of the season, either way he needed a break from fullback.

Isaako - Had a shocker. He came up with a mistake which led directly to a try, failed to find touch off a penalty and came up with a horrible defensive lapse. Most disappointing for me was his unwillingness to take the line on and choosing to casually pass the ball to Niu who was easily tackled. Clearly his mind wasn't completely in the game so I won't be too harsh.

Kennar - I thought he was going to struggle immensly, but he actually played OK. I thought he was the Broncos best working it out of trouble and one of the few who was poking their nose through the Tigers defence. He did come up with a couple of errors and I don't think he posed any threat close to the line, but he put in an honest dig.

Boyd - Every now and then I'll see Darbs come in looking for some work or come up with a run that gives me hope but that's the extent of it. He's just making no impact in the centres and some of that defence on the left fringe was laughable. That first try where they tried to give away a penalty and forgot to make a tackle was one of the most embarrassing things I've seen from the Broncos.

Coates - Struggled to bend the defence with ball in hand and came up with a couple of loose efforts to concede points. The attempt at the short kick-off was embarrassing and he shouldn't have lost that chase to Walters. I like how he backs himself under a high ball, the opposition have gone after him and he's taken some really difficult ones.

Milford - Another frustrating performance. He was one of the few players who threatened the Tigers but he always seemed just half a metre short on everything and his short distance kicking game left a lot to be desired. His defence was abysmal, just caught ball watching or simply not putting his body on the line when he ought to.

Croft - Came up with some horrific efforts on Leilua and he barely threatened with ball in hand. Just seems to be getting worse as the season progresses.

Pangai Jr - Tried his best to inject himself in his second and third stints but nothing came off. Physically failed to assert himself in those opening exchanges when the team was getting worked over.

Luke - Made a couple of strong tackles but his service was sloppy and put his team mates under all sorts.

Haas - A tireless performance from Haas, one of the few players who was bending the line with his carries. Needs to work harder on his line, that was a poor effort on Grant to concede that second try.

Te'o - Struggled with the pace of the game and wasn't sighted after the first 30 minutes. In theory, the Te'o signing sounded nice, but he's so underdone that you're really only going to get 20 minutes out of somebody in a faster environment.

Oates - I'm so thankful it turned out to be a nasty welt instead of bone. That injury made me more upset than anything else, Oates is such a lovable character in the team. Made the only line-break for the Broncos and looked threatening with ball in hand, we just need to see more of it.

Carrigan
- Well below his best, he toughed it out but he was so sluggish in the middle third and really needed a spell. He fell off a lot of tackles, failed to pick up an offload when it went right to him, gave away a bad penalty to invite Wests down inside the 20 at the start of the second half and failed to give the ball when he found himself in some space. Disappointing from one of our forward leaders.

Paix - Was solid in the middle, made his tackles and his service was certainly crisper than Luke's. Nearly came up with a bad play in tackle five but he rectified it.

Flegler - Same story as always with Fleg. Came up with a couple of nice carries, but then turns the ball over cheaply and makes some soft efforts in defence.

Hopoate - Came on and made things happen in and around the ruck. The Oates line-break actually came about due to some good lead up work from Hoppa so the shift to the middle has done him the world of good. A couple of blemishes hurt his performance, the knock on from the Pangai offload just as he made a half-break and a weak attempt on Brooks which should have resulted in a try against the Broncos.

Ofahengaue
- Didn't come on until the second half and even then found himself on the right edge. I don't think he's being used effectively - he didn't look out of place in Origin last year and he has a great motor on him, he should have come on for Pangai and got more minutes. I thought Seibs got the rotation right last week, this week it was all out of sync.