What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 - Rabbitohs vs Raiders: Sunday 22nd May 2pm @ Apex Oval

callmack1

Staff member
What a terrible, terrible afternoon that was. Really sad to watch and I am ashamed to be a Souths fan after watching a performance like that. We simply didn't turn up. No heart, no desire, no effort, no passion, no pride. These are all values South Sydney is built on and it was nowhere to be seen. Nowhere at all.

Yes, we are missing plenty of players but that is not an excuse. You still have to turn up, put in the effort and try your best but that didn't even get close to happening today. If we put everything into the game but still lost, I'd be disappointed but would cop it, I cannot cop a poor showing like that in terms of attitude. It stunk and is an absolute disgrace to the jersey.

What has happened to our defence?? It was okay to start the year but has completely fallen away and we have now conceded 30 three games in a row. There were various things that contributed to our loss today but defence was the main one, no doubt about that. The amount of missed tackles was alarming, as was the ease with which the Raiders rolled us. We got smashed in the middle. Add to that terrible reads, a lack of effort and physicality and you're basically handing the opposition the win. To the Raiders credit, they were good but we kind of handed it to them. This, again, is an attitude thing in my opinion.

All this was compounded by a completion rate once again under 70% and the same stupid shit we see every week.

I'm disgusted in my team. Our Season is slipping away and we seem to have the opposite attitude than we need to have. It's disgraceful. My faith is starting to fade. My faith in the players, and the coach too. Nothing is being done to turn it around and nothing is improving as a result.

Just a terrible day in Dubbo for the second year running and I hope we never go there again.

Beyond frustrated, beyond angry, beyond embarrassed and beyond devastated. Everyone on the field today should hang their heads in shame.

handyman2190

Bench
Players are being paid too much, we are behind the game in recruitiment and my fear is we become another tigers or dogs

Steenson123

Juniors
Well we can at least point out some potential changes.
1. Play Nikorima alongside Walker. Nikorima is experienced and has a potent kicking game. It may stimulate greater from Walker to have an experienced #7 and talker on the field. Ilias needs a stint in B Grade it will likely do more good than harm. Ilias still has many questions to answer and ordinary coaching has not helped him.
2. Banish Paulo from centre play. He is picked on repeatedly and Demetriou seems to look the other way. Why has Karapani been ignored? He looked good in the trials.
3. Peoples is not ready for NRL football. Its blatently obvious. Then why is the guy there?
4. Knight and Sele are far too erratic to be retained.

Steenson123

Juniors
What a terrible, terrible afternoon that was. Really sad to watch and I am ashamed to be a Souths fan after watching a performance like that. We simply didn't turn up. No heart, no desire, no effort, no passion, no pride. These are all values South Sydney is built on and it was nowhere to be seen. Nowhere at all.

Yes, we are missing plenty of players but that is not an excuse. You still have to turn up, put in the effort and try your best but that didn't even get close to happening today. If we put everything into the game but still lost, I'd be disappointed but would cop it, I cannot cop a poor showing like that in terms of attitude. It stunk and is an absolute disgrace to the jersey.

What has happened to our defence?? It was okay to start the year but has completely fallen away and we have now conceded 30 three games in a row. There were various things that contributed to our loss today but defence was the main one, no doubt about that. The amount of missed tackles was alarming, as was the ease with which the Raiders rolled us. We got smashed in the middle. Add to that terrible reads, a lack of effort and physicality and you're basically handing the opposition the win. To the Raiders credit, they were good but we kind of handed it to them. This, again, is an attitude thing in my opinion.

All this was compounded by a completion rate once again under 70% and the same stupid shit we see every week.

I'm disgusted in my team. Our Season is slipping away and we seem to have the opposite attitude than we need to have. It's disgraceful. My faith is starting to fade. My faith in the players, and the coach too. Nothing is being done to turn it around and nothing is improving as a result.

Just a terrible day in Dubbo for the second year running and I hope we never go there again.

Beyond frustrated, beyond angry, beyond embarrassed and beyond devastated. Everyone on the field today should hang their heads in shame.
Trouble is do they actually CARE? Demetriou was handed a Coaching position he has proved very little yet he was gifted that position.

Steenson123

Juniors
Time for a clean out starting from the coach down.
Wanted!
1x Fullback , Latrell is not reliable both injury and discipline wise
1x Centre, Who can partner Graham!
2x wingers
2x front rowers, move on Tatola/Knight/Nicholls. Keep Burgess
2x second rowers, need some young tough second rowers that want to run the ball and tackle.
1xHooker, Damien Cook is on too much coin and doesn't perform week in week out.
1xHalfback
1x 5/8
Thats just about the whole team?
Yet Mitchell was giving signs pre-season of a stellar season. Obviously he was not fit enough and that's all on Demetriou. I mean Mitchell's presence is CRITICAL and his absence is destructive. He looked too big in Feb-March and its on the coach to ensure the guy was hard fit.

Rabbits20

Immortal
South Sydney dished up the club’s worst performance of the season against Canberra, putting a grim explanation point on the club’s immediate future. Likes and dislikes from Round 11.

Paul Crawley Paul Crawley
May 22, 2022 - 5:56PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

DISLIKES​

South Sydney dished up the club’s worst performance of the season against Canberra in Dubbo, delivering all the proof you need that Souths’ premiership window has officially slammed shut.

It was even worse than the round seven loss to the Tigers because this time they showed hardly any signs of life.

Damien Cook’s try-saving chase-down of Jack Wighton was the only memorable effort from the defence.

It’s hard to believe this team played the grand final last year - and could have won if Latrell Mitchell wasn’t injured.

They made the preliminary final in the three seasons before that, with Cody Walker and Adam Reynoldsproviding a proven winning formula that was the envy of opposition clubs.

But look at them now.

It’s a good thing South Sydney aren’t like the Canterbury Bulldogs and answerable to the members.

South Sydney delivered an insipid performance in Dubbo. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty

South Sydney delivered an insipid performance in Dubbo. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty

If they were there might be a few directors and officials looking for new jobs.

Yet they still haven’t offered their fans an apology for letting Reynolds go.

Maybe it’s time they did.

And we keep going back to the Reynolds contract negotiations because how can you ignore it?

The simple fact is if they handled things differently they would not be where they are today.

They could have let any number of players go and found a way to keep Reynolds.

But they thought they had the answers without him.

And that gamble has backfired spectacularly.

After 11 rounds the Rabbitohs are now clinging to eighth spot on percentages, with the Raiders, Sea Eagles and Dragons on equal competition points.

It’s understandable the Rabbitohs are down without Mitchell and Cameron Murray.

But let’s not forget who the Raiders are missing - their first choice hooker Josh Hodgson, halfback Jamal Fogarty, as well as Jarrod Croker, who chews up a stack of the salary cap.

If they say they wouldn’t change their stance on Reynolds if they had their time over they are kidding themselves.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I’m just watching it I had to work a long shift. I’m not surprised but I’m absolutely appalled where has the hunger and pride in the jersey gone? Their whole attitude stinks. Funny thing is Solly thought we were a top 4 team goes to show what loonies we have running the asylum.

Also talk in pre season was oh we have to blood the young guns the future as I told you all, it’s all well and good to say they were great in lower grades but it’s a whole other level at NRL level and as I said lots don’t make it and are out of their depth now Blake Taaffe is a good lad and bloke but he’s not a first grader I can’t see how he plays regular first grade in the NRL yet many on here said he’s going to be a gun, he’s definitely not a gun at all very bog average.

Paulo and Milne also reserve graders not up to this level. Ilias struggling for mine not doing the job a 7 needs to do kicking game is woeful and game management. Has a good running game though I’ll give him that.

Cody has fully lost the plot he’s not enjoying his football and he’s not acting like a leader and it’s showing he can’t play without Reyno he’s lost and disinterested doesn’t wanna be there. I think he’s got some personal issues at the moment too and his head just isn’t in it. His body language at the presser was not that of a captain.

In the pack our recruitment has been poor we lack size in the pack and it shows. Losing Junior early didn’t help that’s happened a couple of times this year. Keaon is really out of sorts though and his attitude stinks I’m disappointed in him. Peoples is not a first grader I’m sorry he’s not. Arrow is all heart but he’s playing injured I think and won’t win you games.

Knight can get lost send him packing tomorrow he’s awful sorry it sounds so harsh but he is.

I can’t understand why Moale isn’t playing more he has some size about him,

JD is out of his depth too doesn’t seem to know how to get our attack going cant get the boys up for games just says the same thing at the presser every week. I haven’t seen much change since Charity Shield and the buck stops with the head coach.

We have so many issues. The biggest one though is our attitude stinks where has the pride in the jersey gone and willing to work for one another it simply is not there.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I thought Cook was very good overall in a badly beaten pack he tackled his heart out, the try was scintillating and that chase on Wighton was the highlight of the game for me all heart from Cookie, if only we had 17 playing with the heart Cookie has and he’s been criticised by some quite a bit this year but overall I think he’s been pretty good for us. We have far bigger issues than Cookie to worry about that’s for sure.

Arrow was also good I thought put in a lot gave it his best along with Campbell and Havili was once again very good off the bench. I thought Nikorima gave us a bit of spark and should stay at FB next week.

callmack1

Staff member

handyman2190

Bench
Trouble is do they actually CARE? Demetriou was handed a Coaching position he has proved very little yet he was gifted that position.
He was gifted a poisoned chalice, with 2 of our best gone and no money to buy, he also lost many depth players, he has had 2 missing from the spine plus codys indiference, i expected this to happen,i warned everyone here, but was shouted down as being negative, im a realist, i could see the writing and predicted we wouldnt make the 8, obviously playing juniors that havent played nsw cup or much football for 2 years isnt a recepie for success, hence solly and papas, who have are just know it all admin idiots should stick to what they know.

Last edited:

Steenson123

Juniors
I thought Cook was very good overall in a badly beaten pack he tackled his heart out, the try was scintillating and that chase on Wighton was the highlight of the game for me all heart from Cookie, if only we had 17 playing with the heart Cookie has and he’s been criticised by some quite a bit this year but overall I think he’s been pretty good for us. We have far bigger issues than Cookie to worry about that’s for sure.

Arrow was also good I thought put in a lot gave it his best along with Campbell and Havili was once again very good off the bench. I thought Nikorima gave us a bit of spark and should stay at FB next week.
Putting Nikorima at 7 may spark Walker. Ilias-Walker has been very ordinary so why not put a much more experienced 7 next to Walker plus Nikorima has a good kicking game. Nikorima will talk much more and point out opposition flaws and tactics to Walker, Johnston etc.

Steenson123

Juniors
He was gifted a poisoned chalice, with 2 of our best gone and no money to buy, he also lost many depth players, he has had 2 missing from the spine plus codys indiference, i expected this to happen,i warned everyone here, but was shouted down as being negative, im a realist, i could see the writing and predicted we wouldnt make the 8, obviously playing juniors that havent played nsw cup or much football for 2 years isnt a recepie for success, hence solly and papas, who have are just know it all admin idiots should stick to what they know.
The biggest out is Bennett himself. Followed by Mitchell, Reynolds then Murray. That's a stellar line-up and replacing Bennett with a hand-picked novice was never wise, especially sans Reynolds there. Paulo, Taaffe, Ilias all looked much better under Bennett because he understands what they need to focus on. What has Demetriou ever said that impresses everyone? We can hardly hear him speak at post-game shows and his discourse is very repetitive and simplistic, not much analytics. The constant turnovers have never been adequately dealt with and that's 101% on Demetriou.
Most here voted to extend Reynolds, no doubt. Its obvious Ilias was not that good, he doesn't offer that much apart from being solid. Coupling Ilias-Walker-Demetriou simultaneously was always going to be a poor managerial decision. The point is, was this done deliberately, to pour cold water on salary cap pressure and expenditure outlays regardless of the on-field impacts?

callmack1

Staff member
Just finished watching the replay but I am a bit stretched for time tonight so not going to do a match report this week sorry guys.

The boys probably don't deserve one after that performance anyway to be honest. Our only good/solid/stand out players were Graham, Cook, Arrow, Nikorima and Sele. The rest were no good, don't really deserve talking about. Harsh but fair.

Just such a dire performance and I'm still fuming. Watching the replay didn't make me feel any better about it at all.

I will say though that this game HAS to be the catalyst for change. It HAS to be. The Dubbo disaster last year caused us to have a very good, hard look at ourselves and make some adjustments to get to where we needed to be. We all know what happened after that. The 2022 addition of the Dubbo disaster has to be the same. It must be the catalyst for complete change because our Season is slipping away and we can't keep dishing up the same shit every week. Changes must be made, improvement must be made.

I know our ceiling isn't as high this year as it was last year but this game has still forced our hand to take a good look at ourselves. Last year we had Wayne, that was a big factor in it so I'm probably not as confident we can turn it around this year. In saying that, I still know that it is possible, that we can turn it around. It's going to take a lot but we can do it!! Let's make this game a silver lining in hindsight!

callmack1

Staff member

Latest posts