What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 Vs Sharks

chrisD

Coach
He went alright with Crichton, but Crichton heads in and draws the defnse in too, giving his winger spcae. Momo heads out wide and only passes the ball when he's out of space.
This shit is tiring. Every time Crichton put Staines away it was already a 2 on 1 situation. And at centre it was just against the shit defences of Cronulla and Souths in which he had miles of time to stick the final pass and Staines went over untouched.

Now some clips of Momo heading out wide and only passing it when he's out of space.
As I said, despite the chances that have been created for him, Staines has not scored a try with any real degree of difficulty, he stopped and let I think it was Brisbane cover defence go past him once, but any winger should have been able to do that. He's not converting half chances, and that's what he's there for, as he's subpar at everything else. So, what's the point.

And I won't bother to disturb the Momo doesn't pass fantasy you're all so committed to again.

Crashtest

Juniors
We knew Origin was coming. After how many were in the squad you could plan. To'o was a shock but Crichton was in last year. So 5 was a safe bet to plan for

Nothing was done different. It was same structure and style we have played for 18 months.

No idea why you pick a 7 and don't have him kick. The 2 weeks were the same so it has to be tactics... if not why not pick someone else there.

Even last year. Removing Naden from centre wasn't an issue. The issue was with no lower grades. Whare or Burton should of had a game or 2 under their belts just incase. Use of the bench was poor

Ivan said post game he planned when the draw came out the decision was made no Origin guys to back up. So why name them on Tuesday? It left no flexibility if May or Burton didn't train well or anything. If Burton copped a head knock there was no 2nd kicker. Poor planning.

Alot of the good that happens under Ivan is due to his hand being forced. Moylan told to go only injury got him a NRL start.

Even this year. Burton doesn't play centre if Momo doesn't get suspended. In this game too Tago only comes on due to Momo's HIA.

Take Leinu. Whether he needed to be dropped is debateable. But when the decision was made to drop him then knowing Round 10 NSW Cup had the bye. You still drop him having him drop out of the bubble.

Round 11 and 12 NSW Cup played before NRL you could of dropped him. Gave Burton/May a game down there if that is the plan.

Give Wallace ( An NRL assistant) orders to work with them for a game plan for Last 2 games. Leaving the head coaches free to concentrate on the games at hand. Bennett often has assistants take over for such stuff

Just some reasons while like Ricky and Paul Green that Ivan will never be elite.
Yes it was the same structure that all players in the squad had been learning and training in since preseason, and over the last 18 months. You can't just change to a new structure the week before an NRL game.

In regards to why pick May if he wasn't going to kick, that wouldn't of been a coaching decision, just May deferring to Burton as the better kicker. And there was no on else better to pick anyway. Salmon looks shit in the halves at NSW Cup level, no way you pick him over May in first grade, and Falls wasn't able to be selected. Once Luai was selected, and given all the upheaval from having so many other players out, it was always going to be Burton and May in the halves, as there was already too many outs to make any further changes. Unfortunately it just took a game and a half to find any cohesion.

As to why name the SOO players in the squad? Who else would he of named? He picked the players he had chosen to play, and then added the SOO players on the off chance they pulled up ok to play, like Martin did.

Fangs

Coach
I asked him at oztag. He said no cap space for him to debut and he is too far behind development wise anyway.

No reason Salmon could of got a run. Would of offered a 2nd kicking option

Your mates at oztag always with the goss.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes it was the same structure that all players in the squad had been learning and training in since preseason, and over the last 18 months. You can't just change to a new structure the week before an NRL game.

In regards to why pick May if he wasn't going to kick, that wouldn't of been a coaching decision, just May deferring to Burton as the better kicker. And there was no on else better to pick anyway. Salmon looks shit in the halves at NSW Cup level, no way you pick him over May in first grade, and Falls wasn't able to be selected. Once Luai was selected, and given all the upheaval from having so many other players out, it was always going to be Burton and May in the halves, as there was already too many outs to make any further changes. Unfortunately it just took a game and a half to find any cohesion.

As to why name the SOO players in the squad? Who else would he of named? He picked the players he had chosen to play, and then added the SOO players on the off chance they pulled up ok to play, like Martin did.
You play the same structures yet pick 2 guys yet to play in the halves in those structures.

That is where Wallace comes into play get him to come up with a game plan. That baby Broncos side that upset the Tigers. Bennett left it all to Bellamy to run. That is the difference between an elite and an average coach.

As for who backs ip. IF it was decided when the draw came out then Cleary, Capewell who started would of been planned to not play. So that would apply for Luai and To'o too.

As for who to come in. Lindsay Smith can ball play. Salmon or Falls possibly for the bench especially because if Burton copped a HIA or something there was no kicking option in the 17.

We literally had a 17 man squad. 18 once Martin was available due to naming guys no chance of playing. Didn't leave any room for a Plan B or C if needed

mxlegend99

Referee
This shit is tiring. Every time Crichton put Staines away it was already a 2 on 1 situation. And at centre it was just against the shit defences of Cronulla and Souths in which he had miles of time to stick the final pass and Staines went over untouched.

Now some clips of Momo heading out wide and only passing it when he's out of space.
As I said, despite the chances that have been created for him, Staines has not scored a try with any real degree of difficulty, he stopped and let I think it was Brisbane cover defence go past him once, but any winger should have been able to do that. He's not converting half chances, and that's what he's there for, as he's subpar at everything else. So, what's the point.

And I won't bother to disturb the Momo doesn't pass fantasy you're all so committed to again.
Watch entire games. 99% of Momirovskis touches he runs to the sideline leaving absolutely nothing for Staines to do. No winger is doing shit outside of him. Momirovski might aswell be the winger since he leaves no room for anyone to do anything outside him

How can Staines convert any half chances to points when he's only getting hospital passes? A good centre draws in defenders and puts his winger away. Momirovski takes his wingers space away. He has had a few moments where he did the right thing. But anyone watching every game would see him killing the attack on the right knowing Staines is not going to get space as Momirovski ends up kn his wing leaving Staines to come back jn at defenders or try beating them on the outside with barely inches of space to work with.

The Realist

Juniors
Well I hope we are happy with 2nd or 3rd this season. Bellamy understands the value of a #1 finish. Cleary obviously doesn't value it as much.

I understand resting veterans who are in their very late 20's and early 30's....it is harder for older bodies to recover in particular those that have been battered by 10 years of games and training.

But resting blokes in their early 20's with no injuries just doesn't make sense to me unless they have had physically demanding games like Yeo (80 mins at Lock) or To'o who got through a mountain of work.

Not playing Luai was just foolish. Capewell on the bench wouldn't have been a bad idea either.

Kilkenny

Coach
Well I hope we are happy with 2nd or 3rd this season. Bellamy understands the value of a #1 finish. Cleary obviously doesn't value it as much.

I understand resting veterans who are in their very late 20's and early 30's....it is harder for older bodies to recover in particular those that have been battered by 10 years of games and training.

But resting blokes in their early 20's with no injuries just doesn't make sense to me unless they have had physically demanding games like Yeo (80 mins at Lock) or To'o who got through a mountain of work.

Not playing Luai was just foolish. Capewell on the bench wouldn't have been a bad idea either.
I’m sure Ivan covets the minor premiership just as much as Craig Bellamy does, I think he did the right thing resting our SOO players, bar Martin who played. The team he put out against the Sharks ought to have been good enough to get the job done, but a few players failed to perform in both games against both the Tigers and Sharks. I think there are question marks around a couple of players as to whether they are quite as good as we thought they were. It’s a tough call but I would be leaning towards Jennings retaining his spot in front of Staines. It still very early in Charlie Staines career he just looks a like bit of a one trick pony right now, his game seems entirely based around his supposed speed which for whatever reason we haven’t seen to much of.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I've watched Jennings in the last couple of weeks. No way I would give him Staines position.

Burton will go back to centre. Mom and Jennings back to cup.

Staines has much better defence than Jennings ever will. Also better footy awareness. Better finisher too.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
I’m sure Ivan covets the minor premiership just as much as Craig Bellamy does, I think he did the right thing resting our SOO players, bar Martin who played. The team he put out against the Sharks ought to have been good enough to get the job done, but a few players failed to perform in both games against both the Tigers and Sharks. I think there are question marks around a couple of players as to whether they are quite as good as we thought they were. It’s a tough call but I would be leaning towards Jennings retaining his spot in front of Staines. It still very early in Charlie Staines career he just looks a like bit of a one trick pony right now, his game seems entirely based around his supposed speed which for whatever reason we haven’t seen to much of.
If To'o played it would have been a try not a pass to the crowd

Kilkenny

Coach
I've watched Jennings in the last couple of weeks. No way I would give him Staines position.

Burton will go back to centre. Mom and Jennings back to cup.

Staines has much better defence than Jennings ever will. Also better footy awareness. Better finisher too.
All good Alice, your no doubt right Ivan will probably stick with Charlie but there are question marks around what he brings to the team. We all craved having someone blessed with electrifying speed but we just haven’t seen too much evidence of it and I kinda like Jennings work rate and metres.

DinkyDi

Juniors
All good Alice, your no doubt right Ivan will probably stick with Charlie but there are question marks around what he brings to the team. We all craved having someone blessed with electrifying speed but we just haven’t seen too much evidence of it and I kinda like Jennings work rate and metres.
Jennings is older, and more experienced. Staines is a better player.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Pretty hard to show your speed when Mom is bascially running towards the sideline, with hospital passes. A lot of what Jennings does is fluff. Doesn't have the footwork and defence that Staines does. Staines's issues relate to Mom running him out of room, being unable to set him up properly.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Well he needs to demonstrate on the field he is the better player.

The modern day winger is required to provide a lot more than just catching the last pass and putting the ball down untouched.
He has had Momo as his centre. Momo usually passes as a last option, when Staines is not in space.

franklin2323

Immortal
Pretty hard to show your speed when Mom is bascially running towards the sideline, with hospital passes. A lot of what Jennings does is fluff. Doesn't have the footwork and defence that Staines does. Staines's issues relate to Mom running him out of room, being unable to set him up properly.

Early in the sets? The long range tries? Plenty of times to show speed.

Of the tries he scored. How many other wingers wouldn't of scored them? I say anyone would of so comes back to getting more output for the basics

Kilkenny

Coach
Doing the hard hit ups and making 200 metres plus is not fluff Alice.

Momorovski is no world beater, he was never going to be, he is an average depth NRL centre at best and the fact he has been selected in front of Naden from my perspective is mind boggling, but that is just me I guess.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Momorovski is no world beater, he was never going to be, he is an average depth NRL centre at best and the fact he has been selected in front of Naden from my perspective is mind boggling, but that is just me I guess.
We also don't need that from him. Yes he needs to offer more in attack but hes not in the side to make meters

Last edited:

DinkyDi

Juniors
He has had Momo as his centre. Momo usually passes as a last option, when Staines is not in space.

Clearly there is more with Naden that what has been revealed.

Latest posts