What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 - v Manly

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Manly deserved to win?
You might not have noticed while you were at the game but they played at least one half of the game with 13/14 players.

We were leading at half time.

The onus was on your man super coach to keep the team motivated from his half time speech which he clearly didn't and more importantly to adjust the game plan to ensure we win and take advantage of Manly's injuries which clearly he didn't.

This team under your man are not ruthless in any sense, any decent side would've come out and put Manly to the sword in the second half and this poorly coached rubble just let Manly walk away with the two points.

There is no excuse for the mediocrity that this clueless coach has continued to instill on the playing group.

The fact you stated we were going to make the 8 just recently says it all about your assessment that manly deserved to win really.

What a rubbish performance.
yeah particularly given Manly played a terrible game with their QLD half and captain having a shocker in front of their sellout home crowd on a sunny Sunday afternoon in Brookvale. The bookies had no idea at all either, installing Manly as solid favourites, what would they know, it’s only how they make a living. Dragons were good things, we all felt that at 2pm today didn’t we, particularly when we heard Suli had pulled out at the last moment. And as per usual we got all the breaks from the ref and bunker too, just like the favoured team we are! Bloody Flanagan.

Rubbish alright.

Illusion

Bench
I can understand your view but I think he has progressed on 2023, he is certainly not at the level we need yet, particularly in defence - but he has speed and he has a still raw talent and I’d persist on the basis that he continues to improve in the areas you highlighted. Last year he was a schoolboy fullback in defence in particular but he has been better in that area this year at times. He has built up and maybe still needs more but I’d just hate for the Dragons to have invested in his development for 3 years only to see him blossom for another club, because he’s had another season behind him. And where do we find an alternative quality NRL fullback anyway, we can’t attract anyone who hasn’t been here before.
Respect your opinion mate , but for me he isn't as dynamic as some say he is , yes he is improving but at a slow rate compared to other rookie fullbacks from other clubs that have had less time than he has ....... The young bloke today from Manly , the Storm young bloke , just not doing it for me at the moment ...... I hope he comes good ...... Just my opinion .......

BLM01

First Grade
How did everyone rate JDBs prop effort today?

didn’t rank well at all on the stats

busted old Nathan Brown buried him sadly

maybe a one year contract makes a lot of sense despite JDB definitely better in 2024 vs 2023?

brown 18 runs for 161m

Big JDB 12 runs for 86m

holy shit

an old busted doubled JDB

no prop platform no prize 🏆
I expected him to get on the field earlier in the 2nd half to stem the tide but we had poor field position. came on too late but as I said that was also down to waiting till we had possession when he first got to the sideline

TheRev

First Grade
Hmmm actually our forwards stats were not great today, I wonder why given the manly injuries.. and missing a starting prop thru suspension... I did think we would be down on energy this week, and I think thats what transpired, but the forward stats probably are the evidence.

Jack has been playing for a contract all year also.. I dont think thats it though.. he wouldnt drop his bundle on purpose...I think he was just a bit flat today after 2 wins (I think they all were).. to compare his last 3 games:
o Penrith: 57mins - 24 Runs - 176m - 56 PCM (28 Tackles - 96.6%)
o Tigers: 41mins - 13 runs - 123m - 43 PCM (18 Tackles - 94.7%)
o Manly: 53mins - 12 runs - 86m - 26 PCM (19 Tackles - 86%)

Some games he ends up doing more tackling with less hitups.. but today he didnt really do either that well...

But in terms of his contract.. its on the table.. I guess its rly in his hands now..

shiloh dc

Juniors
Was at game - sat in the Fulton stand - it's exactly what Kogarah needs on both ends. Elevated and close to ground.
We had so many opportunities to win the game especially in the first half.
Key points
Sloan is not the right option for fullback. As Paul Kent always says - he is always one step behind where he needs to be. Manly's fullback (little Hoppa) playing only his 3rd game - is a fantastic player. Great defender as well.
The Lomax brain-fade pass in our 20m changed the momentum of the game.
Our kicking game sucked - as usual.
We should have taken the two points just before the first half.
Frankie Molo had a big impact and good game.
Leilua has at least one bad decision/error in every game.
Late 2nd half Manly out-muscled us with 3 players short??

jeffdragon

Bench

maybe a one year contract makes a lot of sense despite JDB definitely better in 2024 vs 2023?

brown 18 runs for 161m

Big JDB 12 runs for 86m

holy shit

None of our pack run from the back fence.
So flat.

since77

Juniors
Was at game - sat in the Fulton stand - it's exactly what Kogarah needs on both ends. Elevated and close to ground.
We had so many opportunities to win the game especially in the first half.
Key points
Sloan is not the right option for fullback. As Paul Kent always says - he is always one step behind where he needs to be. Manly's fullback (little Hoppa) playing only his 3rd game - is a fantastic player. Great defender as well.
The Lomax brain-fade pass in our 20m changed the momentum of the game.
Our kicking game sucked - as usual.
We should have taken the two points just before the first half.
Frankie Molo had a big impact and good game.
Leilua has at least one bad decision/error in every game.
Late 2nd half Manly out-muscled us with 3 players short??
For me the end result of the game was an accumulation of all the fantastically dumb things we did during the game. It's like this bunch of air headed morons thought a big win over the Tigers finally meant they were contenders. Um, no.
The dumb JDB offload. Moronic stuff. 2 weeks in a row trying to put himself in the shop window with brain dead plays. He can piss off to Souffs.
The Lomax flick pass that was just not needed - what we were going to gain if it came off? Another 2 metres?
Not taking the kick for goal with a few minutes left before half time. What happened the week before we knocked back an easy 2 points just before half time? Yep they never learn.

Poor Flanno is never going to get anywhere until he can remove the "dumb" from this football team.

Then add on the general play failures ---->> Lawrie coming on and instantly killing momentum.
Where was RFM?
At least three bombed tries - two from Lomax. First one unforgivable for a rep level winger.
And finally our marquee man - Mr Ben Chunt - who has a kicking game that wouldn't trouble an SG Ball side. Couldn't game manage a game of Uno.
As someone else said earlier in the thread, swap halfbacks for each team and we probably win this game.

Phantom V

Juniors
Is it any wonder we are an inconsistent team when we rely so heavily on Hunt as our playmaker? He has always been a rocks or diamonds type player and you can put Sloan in that category as well although in his defence, he’s still a work in progress.

Dorsai

Juniors
The game was there to take and unfortunately we just sat there and looked dumbfounded. It was a complete turnaround to the week before. Manly struggled until they realized we were just not there mentally and physically.
The first half was an opportunity missed. Everyone seemed to be waiting for some spark in both attack and defence that just did not happen. Too much one out when we had opportunites out wide. Too much back into the centre with no chance of moving forward. They looked disinterested at times and credit to manly, they just took the game forward. Moved the ball and tried different things.
Some players need to be moved on, that's a given, and others that play so well in lower grades either are not given the same game brief or just lack the substance to move into the big league.
Consistancy and the ability to think around the game are not our strong points. We were very pedestrian for a majority of the game and they looked bewildered at times. I do not know the answer and hopefully Flannagan has his thoughts to change this around. We are very much a better team than last year but still have a long way to go to catch up to the middle of the field teams.
It was a game we should have won. One that was there to take but we failed to take any advantage. Yes, we got some horrendous calls but so does every other team at times. We just fail to pick ourselves up and win regardless.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
My gripe after the game was at the PC, where our captain once again admitted that his kicking game on the day wasn't good enough. Fair enough I suppose, at least he acknowledged it. But this has happened so often now that I think Ben needs to actually do something about it! Either practice your kicking game until you get good at it or let someone else do the kicking! They couldn't be any worse.

RedVee

First Grade

brown 18 runs for 161m

Big JDB 12 runs for 86m

holy shit

I was more disappointed in the reckless offload in our territory, same with Zac’s reckless flick pass.

kit66

Bench
I really thought we were a chance in this one but a loss to Manly at home isn't the end of the world.
I say 'a chance" but my hopes took a dive when I heard Suli was out and being replaced with Matt Feagai and Tuipulotu in on the wing. I would have put Lomax to centre for his defence and bought in Finau for his speed.
I won't bag Matt because he's been real good on the wing but his stats after 25 minutes at centre were 1 run for 8 mtrs and 6 tackles - we sure missed Suli. So that's on Flanno and his selections.
Everyone's got the knives out looking for scapegoats as usual and as usual it's poor Benny Hunt ( might as well christen him Hunty McHuntface ) in the firing line but really it was a team effort in shitness, in Dragonball. Lot's of stupid brain farts and drop balls (Lomax should try out for the Boomers, he drops the ball so much) when a bit of composure would have gone a long way to getting the 2 points. Live and learn. Gives us some impetus and a bit of hunger hopefully to do better at home against the Dolphins in 2 weeks.

since77

Juniors
I really thought we were a chance in this one but a loss to Manly at home isn't the end of the world.
I say 'a chance" but my hopes took a dive when I heard Suli was out and being replaced with Matt Feagai and Tuipulotu in on the wing. I would have put Lomax to centre for his defence and bought in Finau for his speed.
I won't bag Matt because he's been real good on the wing but his stats after 25 minutes at centre were 1 run for 8 mtrs and 6 tackles - we sure missed Suli. So that's on Flanno and his selections.
Everyone's got the knives out looking for scapegoats as usual and as usual it's poor Benny Hunt ( might as well christen him Hunty McHuntface ) in the firing line but really it was a team effort in shitness, in Dragonball. Lot's of stupid brain farts and drop balls (Lomax should try out for the Boomers, he drops the ball so much) when a bit of composure would have gone a long way to getting the 2 points. Live and learn. Gives us some impetus and a bit of hunger hopefully to do better at home against the Dolphins in 2 weeks.
Everything you say is quite true but these are the types of games when your marquee man - you know the guy who held the club to ransom this time last year - needs to own it. That was a game waiting to be won. Like the Sharks game.
Hunt is copping it because he has a habit of doing this. Completely outplayed, out-kicked and out-captained by DCE. As I said in an earlier post this is why they don't pick Hunt as the QLD half - because he's a terrible game manager.
Swap halfbacks yesterday and we win despite how badly the rest of the team played.

Sage63

Juniors
Everything you say is quite true but these are the types of games when your marquee man - you know the guy who held the club to ransom this time last year - needs to own it. That was a game waiting to be won. Like the Sharks game.
Hunt is copping it because he has a habit of doing this. Completely outplayed, out-kicked and out-captained by DCE. As I said in an earlier post this is why they don't pick Hunt as the QLD half - because he's a terrible game manager.
Swap halfbacks yesterday and we win despite how badly the rest of the team played.

TheRev

First Grade
Dce is one of the top half-backs in the game.. Hes the origin halfback.. I dont see the point of comparing him to hunt.. The cards we have been dealt with in this squad (vs manlys) are not even comparable.

Whether we can find a quality 7 in the next 2yrs I dunno.. Im sure flanno will have an eye out.. We have plenty of cap space.

TheRev

First Grade
Actually, I think we need a new captain, someone who is not ego- driven and will do the best for the team and not themselves!
my suggestion would be Kyle! anyone else have any other suggestions?!
He actually can't make kyle captain because there are too many fans obsessed with nepotism.. Its a rly tricky situation to manage.

That said kyle does seem pretty quiet, and I do think we need an extrovert as a leader.