What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

beads6

First Grade
Both teams had huge defensive efforts

Both teams looked out on their feet

One team had the attacking plays / players to take advantage of the tired opposition........

That team won.

That team was coming off the bye and had their experienced Origin players backing up. The other team was coming off a 5 day break and didn't have their experienced Origin players backing up. Lets be honest here apart from some Bowen and JT magic the game could have been nil all.

This is just another case of a fan trying to be too big for his boots and being over critical. :crazy:

Mr Fourex

Bench
Lets be honest here apart from some Bowen and JT magic the game could have been nil all.

Yeah....which is why I've commented on the need for the likes of Norman, Gillett & co to step up to the next level and find a bit of "magic" of their own. Putting 40-50 points on the likes of the Raiders, Roosters and NTLE is a lot different to when we have to play against the real contenders, like Melbourne, Bulldogs, Cowboys and Manly.

We'll need something else other than Wallace putting up the high ball out wide

This is just another case of a fan trying to be too big for his boots and being over critical. :crazy:

Too big for my boots........:lol:

Didn't know there was some sort of hierarchy around here that one has to follow........

and if voicing concerns I have as an individual fan about our attack vs those who say there's nothing to worry about is being over critical, then you need to harden up a bit princess. It's a discussion forum, everybody doesn't have to agree all the time.

IBA

Juniors
Yeah....which is why I've commented on the need for the likes of Norman, Gillett & co to step up to the next level and find a bit of "magic" of their own. Putting 40-50 points on the likes of the Raiders, Roosters and NTLE is a lot different to when we have to play against the real contenders, like Melbourne, Bulldogs, Cowboys and Manly.

I agree completely that others need to step up. I disagree with you generally that Wallace doesn't have any attacking chops. In that game he gave us our best attacking options and constantly has been this year. You must watch 5% of the game if you you see is high ball out wide from him. You always seem to bag Wallace when to me the problem (and it's not a huge problem - this team is still a work in progress) is Reed has been fairly ineffective this year, Copley & Beale are not noted finishes, Hoffman lacks some timing in attack, Macca has some great little moments but has a long way to go in creating plays, Norman gets caught with the ball too much and, to me at least, is far more guilty of not knowing what to do on the last so just puts a bomb up. Hodges and Wallace are our greatest attacking weapons in the backs and a lot of our forwards attacking relies on offloads rather than busting the line. Hodges was out, our noted offloaders were out or had a pretty shitty game. And I still think the problem with the game was incompletions, especially in our own half, and weak penalties out of their half.

It's not as glum as this but you often seem to go to "we won't win because Wallace can only bomb on the 5th" which I think is a very poor assessment of our attack. I have no problems with his ability and vision, but there is huge room for improvement in our attack.

beads6

First Grade

Of course we need more but we have consistently scored a fair amount of points all year. Norman is in his first yeat in the 6. Be patient. Gillett is in the worst form of his career. Our attack had an off night, poor attack isn't a terminal problem.

Too big for my boots........:lol:

Didn't know there was some sort of hierarchy around here that one has to follow........

Missed my point completely. I can't say I am surprised. :crazy:

Big Pete

Referee
Patience Fourex.

Wait until the uncertain Origin period is over and see how the boys go in the lead up to the finals. Your concerns are definitely valid, let's hope Hook addresses it at the right end of the season.

Bretto

Bench
With a fit Hodges, and our offloading forwards (Thaiday, Parker, Civoniceva) all back after Origin, I can see us putting plenty of points on opposition teams. God forbid Gillett has a blinder and Reed fires too. I'm not concerned now, BUT, if it comes to round 24 and we're still not scoring points, THEN I'll be worried.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
To not put on any points with our spine intact was more than a little disappointing. Defence was obviously a big improvement, it's not cool leaking points willy-nilly.

Wallace is never going to have alot of attacking flair, so he needs others to stand up and offer something. Unfortunately Norman and Gillett are in poor form. Not sure what is going on with Reed. Maybe it would do him some good a have a stint on the wing, and give Copley a chance in the centres (at least in attack).

I actually hope that Wallace throws away his mid-field bomb. He doesn't have a big enough boot to give our chases a chance to get there in time. Actually our chasers are pretty bad too, we often don't even go up for the ball and sometimes even miss the man who catches (Reed seems to run around like a headless chook, with eyes for thin air rather than the ball or the man). Norman should always be doing these kicks (and kicking for touch on penalties too, I'm sick of Wallace picking up only 10m off these kicks). I'd prefer to see Wallace aim for the ingoal and get some good field position.

The problem with our attack is that no-one seems to know what anyone else is doing. From a fans perspective, we should at least expect some coherence. The result is players getting the ball flat footed, then not knowing really what to do with it. Our only structured play is the out the back play, and since this is our only play, opposition teams can shut it down pretty easily. And secondly, our current players do not execute it as well as past players.

IBA

Juniors
You guys make it sound like we are unable to score... We are the second highest point scoring team in the comp and only 26 points behind Melbourne (mind you, they are a game behind). To me, that says we must have some ability to get the ball over the line.

I'm not saying I'm content with the attack, plenty of room for improvement, but really, there is still a lot of positivity there. The key to me is getting Hoffman to run these plays properly and get some confidence into Norman.

Talanexor

Juniors
If the Broncos had a clutch player the result could have been very different.

We had Thurston and Bowen - you had no one. If Lockyer was still running around, I think the Broncos would have won.

The defence from both teams was very impressive.

I wouldn't be too upset at the loss. All your young players really stood up, especially in defence. Maranta and Copley looked like seasoned firstgraders and McGuire was a machine.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Good solid game but suited Bowen to a T as he always grows an extra leg while everyone else is flat out on theirs!

3.McGuire
2.Copley
1.Maranta

Mr Fourex

Bench
The key to me is getting Hoffman to run these plays properly and get some confidence into Norman.

There is a definite air of incoherency with some of these plays that we are running.

It's the hall mark of Peter Wallace's inability .....he showed us the same in the past when Locky wasn't there to direct play.

Corey Norman needs to start calling the shots.......

Patience Fourex.

Wait until the uncertain Origin period is over and see how the boys go in the lead up to the finals. Your concerns are definitely valid, let's hope Hook addresses it at the right end of the season.

Fair 'nuff........it was worthy of discussion, but you're right, there's no need to dwell on it. I totally understand that we are a young side going through enormous change. Lockyer retiring was never going to be a cakewalk for the team to move on from. TBH...I don't think anyone really rated us this year. No matter where we finish, I think we've massively over achieved.

Last edited:

Latest posts