What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs Melbourne

slippery5

Juniors
The correct preparation / blooding could have started last year and we played busted players instead.
Now this year too many fell in love with Latimore as well and he has occupied a 1st grade spot all year just like Nighty.
He could have been rotated up and down as well which would have given another younger player some important 1st grade time.
When the full pack is in Lats looks OK and people talk him up but if he is really as good as some think he is, then tonight was the night he should have made a statement.
Unfortunately the statement that he did make is, that without the rep players he is just a plodder, which is what he always was but it got lost amongst all the outstanding work the main forwards have done.
Again his lateral defence lacked when Mcinnes was yelling at him to cover the ruck but arm grabbed (again ) to let in another try identical to last week.

6. tonight's result really confirmed each NRL competition is really a marathon. Not only is there a chance of peaking too early - not to mention overachieving - I think Saints will struggle to keep pace of the other top tier level sides once the whips are cracking.

Exactly the same point a made in other posts in 'predicting' Saints will languish in semis, despite their current standing. Most posters on here don't display sophisticated analyses, they simply point to the mid season ladder.

Straight Shooter

Surp
Exactly the same point a made in other posts in 'predicting' Saints will languish in semis, despite their current standing. Most posters on here don't display sophisticated analyses, they simply point to the mid season ladder.

Straight Shooter
surprise surprise you’ve come out of the woodwork after a loss like this

Dragons22

Juniors
We just cannot win in Melbourne. Last time we won was the semifinal game in 1999. 34-10. Let this sink in, McGregor and Mundine were playing the last time we beat Melbourne. And it was a good solid win too. Some terrible games down there. 70-10 at the MCG, I think Mundine quit the week after of a few weeks after, something like that. Then in 2014, when the refs won Melbourne the game. Anyone, despite letting in 52 points, I guess we played ok, besides the last 20 minutes. Defence was crap, and I don’t know why McGregor but Nightingale in the second row.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
How do you get that Host is our best young forward out of that game?
My opinion but watching the others last night at present he looks more of a top grader.
Although I can see your point that I'm maybe being a bit unfair as when he has played top grade in other games he has had our Origin players around him.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Appearantly some idiot, when missing four regular forwards and throwing a bunch of young guys on there, thought it would be a fantastic idea to go into the game with an old winger and a reserve hooker on the bench.
For the life of me I can’t think who it was though?

There lies our problem.

The team gave their all and we played some great set plays but .....

Our replacements weren’t up to first grade standards, Storms were.
Who do we blame for that?

Our bench was a poor option as well.

Probably the two main areas we were let down.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
Come on you are being a bit harsh he is obviously not using that game to rate Host but is using it to rate Luc, Lawrie & Sele
Thanks Old Timer that's what I was trying to state.
Although I don't mind Crush asking.
I may not of been clear with what I was saying in original post.

True_Believer

Juniors
Because I'm sure you're all desperately awaiting - and salivating - what my observations are, I thought I'd jot down a few.

These aren't mind blowingly complex and probably have already been mentioned.

In no particular order;

1. Saints ' well documented, infamous "underbelly" is alive and thriving as demonstrated by how awful the side plays away from home, Yes, the Dragons were missing many vital players but so were the Storm.

2. replacing a second rower (Host) with a winger (Nightingale) demonstrated once again that McGregor makes the most rudimentary lack of judgment errors not befitting s first grade coach.

Does anyone recall ex Saintx coach, Brian Smitb, making a horrendous error of judgement by replacing Jason Stevens (a prop) with Jeff Hardy (utility) in the 1993 grand final m?

3. MacDonald simply cannot break the line with his usual ineffective kick returns.

4. despite his heroics, Dufty's defence is substandard for any genuine first grade fullback.

5. Smith is s Porsche while McInnes is a VW in comparison.

The Storm won tonight simply due its captain controlling the ruck. Every thing McInnes did (comparatively) to Smith was in slow motion.

And there were his piss poor defensive efforts, particularly in middle third of the field.

6. tonight's result really confirmed each NRL competition is really a marathon. Not only is there a chance of peaking too early - not to mention overachieving - I think Saints will struggle to keep pace of the other top tier level sides once the whips are cracking.

Lucky we weren't playing with Rein then or it would have been a Porsche against a busted up Datsun 180B missing a door and the boot.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Fellas overseas in England till 1st August just got the disappointing result.....just wasnt good enough on the night?...can someone fill me in on what went wrong...or is it just one of those nights.......52 against us ouch.....cheers

Fellas overseas in England till 1st August just got the disappointing result.....just wasnt good enough on the night?...can someone fill me in on what went wrong...or is it just one of those nights.......52 against us ouch.....cheers

We went into the game with inexperienced forwards and decided it was a great idea to have a winger and a backup hooker on the bench.
Host went down early with a dislocated shoulder and we thought it was a great idea to play an old winger in the centre of the field for 70 minutes, that didn’t work out so well later in the game.
Appearantly in ISP it’s perfectly acceptable to turn your back in defence when going going back the ten metres, Cameron Smith loved that idea and carved them up for it.
Luciano Leilua thought it was a great idea to attempt to tackle by grabbing peoples arms as they ran past him, so did Melbourne.
That about sums it up.

Latest posts