What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Roosters

Parko1310

Juniors
Went to the game yesterday, and I've got to say I've walked away from games in the past feeling way worse than I did yesterday. As Flano said in the press conference, this is a journey for us, and in my opinion it's a pretty accurate reflection of where we are at realistically. I predicted a 42-6 loss, so the final score wasn't surprising to me. I was surprised by how long we stuck with them, especially with all the ball they had at the start of the game. That game was incredibly physical, some massive shots put on by both sides, and I think our conditioning is a couple levels below theirs, when the game got that physical, we were always in trouble.

To sum it up though, I think the team had a real dig, and quite simply, we were outclassed. That's what it comes down to. Too many good players for us to handle at this stage in our side's development. We just need to continue progressing and remain patient (I know we all hate that word because it's been shoved down our throats by the board for the last 14 years whilst they sat there and did f**k all), but this is year 1 of Flano. That won't stop me holding the board to account, and whoever else where it needs to be done, but we are clearly an improved side and that is what most of us expected. The difference in class yesterday came down to individuals. Individuals who continually let the side down week in, week out. Lawrie being the main culprit, Luc played okay but got a bit lazy and waited for the game to come to him, K Flano, sorry just not good enough to be in a team that takes that next step, Hunt let us down badly, especially almost single handedly taking the scoreline from 24-12 to 36-12 very quickly.

Sloan - I have mixed opinions on his game. I've seen some fans ranting as if he caused the loss, but there were a lot of other players who contributed to the loss more than Sloan who is a convenient whipping boy for some. He took absolutely everything they threw at him, at times under huge pressure. Massive tick, huge improvement. He seems to lack football smarts though, did get caught out of position a couple of times where he was defending in the front line and got to where he should have been too late. His support play for a fullback is also no where near where it needs to be. These things both come down to a lack of game awareness and an ability to preempt what might happen, rather than react to what has already happened. If you do the latter, often times you get there too late.

T Couchman - wow. I feel like with young players and young forwards especially, you can tell the difference with the good ones in games like this. He came up against the best forward pack in the comp, and he went to the game, rather than shying away from it. Quick play the balls, poked his nose through the line on most runs. His defence was good, and that chase on the Tedesco break was all effort, and stuff that you love to see. An extra 10-15m and he probably gets him. Clearly superior to Lawrie already, who again, was awful.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Went to the game yesterday, and I've got to say I've walked away from games in the past feeling way worse than I did yesterday. As Flano said in the press conference, this is a journey for us, and in my opinion it's a pretty accurate reflection of where we are at realistically. I predicted a 42-6 loss, so the final score wasn't surprising to me. I was surprised by how long we stuck with them, especially with all the ball they had at the start of the game. That game was incredibly physical, some massive shots put on by both sides, and I think our conditioning is a couple levels below theirs, when the game got that physical, we were always in trouble.

To sum it up though, I think the team had a real dig, and quite simply, we were outclassed. That's what it comes down to. Too many good players for us to handle at this stage in our side's development. We just need to continue progressing and remain patient (I know we all hate that word because it's been shoved down our throats by the board for the last 14 years whilst they sat there and did f**k all), but this is year 1 of Flano. That won't stop me holding the board to account, and whoever else where it needs to be done, but we are clearly an improved side and that is what most of us expected. The difference in class yesterday came down to individuals. Individuals who continually let the side down week in, week out. Lawrie being the main culprit, Luc played okay but got a bit lazy and waited for the game to come to him, K Flano, sorry just not good enough to be in a team that takes that next step, Hunt let us down badly, especially almost single handedly taking the scoreline from 24-12 to 36-12 very quickly.

Sloan - I have mixed opinions on his game. I've seen some fans ranting as if he caused the loss, but there were a lot of other players who contributed to the loss more than Sloan who is a convenient whipping boy for some. He took absolutely everything they threw at him, at times under huge pressure. Massive tick, huge improvement. He seems to lack football smarts though, did get caught out of position a couple of times where he was defending in the front line and got to where he should have been too late. His support play for a fullback is also no where near where it needs to be. These things both come down to a lack of game awareness and an ability to preempt what might happen, rather than react to what has already happened. If you do the latter, often times you get there too late.

T Couchman - wow. I feel like with young players and young forwards especially, you can tell the difference with the good ones in games like this. He came up against the best forward pack in the comp, and he went to the game, rather than shying away from it. Quick play the balls, poked his nose through the line on most runs. He defence was good, and that chase on the Tedesco break was all effort, and stuff that you love to see. An extra 10-15m and he probably gets him. Clearly superior to Lawrie already, who again, was awful.
Parko this is another great post from you mate.

Also re Lawrie, his laziness is just ridiculous. On for 36 minutes. Made 12 tackles, missed 4. f**king abysmal.

TheRev

Coach
Young Toby was one of the few bright spots. He's going to be a good one.
I am hoping the game was a bit of a reality check for Flanno... there arent a lot of options he has for selection, but that was the game to get Ryan in to replace RFM at right 2nd row for 25mins... and keep Luciano on the bench.. and also time for Lawrie to go to cup.

We still no doubt lose the game, but I think he has to start including both couchmans every week for the remaining season (injuries willing).. 8 games.. a good amount of time. Beyond that there is not much we can do, I would like to have seen SFinau play more games also for a bit of pace and a look at him ahead of 2025, but hes been injured so it is what it is.

Noone else rly dominating in cup, Marshke has been out for ages so even if hes fit for next week its a big call to play him, so I dunno what they will do to partner Kyle next week, there are obviously a few options, just none of them are great... Brown or Bird are the obvious ones.... I dont think they would do something crazy like LKT in, maybe save that for when Top8 is gone if hes that way inclined... cup is already a challenge for him.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Yesterdays game plan by the Roosters was very clever

they know we like achieve our extra metres through both edge backrowers getting us some good PCM and a fast play off the ball.

they know we are very reliant on Tui etc on that first or second hitup to get things rolling.

the Roosters targeted several players yesterday via swarming personal defence and we struggled to respond

Luc was targeted
Tui was targetted
Sloan was targeted
Molo and JDB were targeted

these guys were gang tackled and targeted as they are key to getting our field position rolling.

we didn’t have a plan B to move the ball quickly the other way? To have an offload and trail runner on that play or the next? We just let the Roosters some off the line and smack us around.

it truly was men vs boys

It was such a great reminder that incredibly clinical and aggressive defence all game is just so bloody hard to handle.

I was inspired by their force and 80mins focus. It was almost SOO level offensive defence !!!

I personally would watch that game again with all players - break it down. Show every aspect of the ambush in slow mo.

The Roosters were the formula yesterday and we need to replicate that defensive intensity. That hunting and that owning the opposition if we want to be a real deal team.
A very good analysis. I thought our only chance was on the edges and they shut us down exactly there. Tupanua was great in containing Suli and the way they then switched attacking focus between Keary and Walker meant we weren’t able to contain them. Rorters have a great roster and are very well coached. Leads me more to think that a two division league can’t be too far away

blacksafake

First Grade
It helped them that Klein allowed them to slow every play down. They laid all over us, rolled us over, held the ball, etc. Klein rightly infringed, but then he warned them, they kept it up and Klein yielded and let them continue for the rest of the game. Watch the game again and watch how quick we were letting them up, allowed them to walk 2 metres forward and then play the ball with speed. We let JWH play the ball so quick on our line that Sloan who had just tackled JWH didn't have time to get back for Walkers little kick. The Roosters defence on their line was awesome, but they completely discounted the rules and were happy to infringe and keep their line set. Klein needed to act or better still our captain should have told us to do the same when they attacked our line. That way, Klein would have to act against both teams or neither.

I personally would prefer to keep slowing the play the ball down on our line, risk the 6 agains and then set our line and be ready for the next attacking play. This was the Roosters defense (push the limits of the rules), make sure every one is set for each attacking play, stop the fatigue by slowing the oppositions attack down with illegal slowing down tactics. We were the exact opposite, we didn't slow the play the balls down, we were scrambling to be in position and this fatigued us quicker
This 💯
There was one six again called against Luc when the rooster player was walking forward to play the ball & Luc was deemed to be standing in the ruck when he was actually standing where the play the ball should’ve been.
If we do it we’re told to go back and play the ball.

justadragon

Bench
A very good analysis. I thought our only chance was on the edges and they shut us down exactly there. Tupanua was great in containing Suli and the way they then switched attacking focus between Keary and Walker meant we weren’t able to contain them. Rorters have a great roster and are very well coached. Leads me more to think that a two division league can’t be too far away
Know what you mean mate but I cant see a 2 division league, what I can see is the game going to other parts of the country, you would also have to imagine that if we had 2 divisions we would be in the bottom one and then unfortunately die a slow painful death through lack of interest. What we need is a draft to level things up.

justadragon

Bench

T Couchman - wow. I feel like with young players and young forwards especially, you can tell the difference with the good ones in games like this. He came up against the best forward pack in the comp, and he went to the game, rather than shying away from it. Quick play the balls, poked his nose through the line on most runs. His defence was good, and that chase on the Tedesco break was all effort, and stuff that you love to see. An extra 10-15m and he probably gets him. Clearly superior to Lawrie already, who again, was awful.
Great post Parko, also lets not forget that 2 major strike weapons were out for the Roosters, I really think with them there it would have been back to a 60 + score line. If that doesn't indicate an inequality in the game I don't know what does.

jeffdragon

Bench
This 💯
There was one six again called against Luc when the rooster player was walking forward to play the ball & Luc was deemed to be standing in the ruck when he was actually standing where the play the ball should’ve been.
If we do it we’re told to go back and play the ball.
There were too things.
One was where I think Sloan was getting pushed back.
Ref called held and they kept driving him back .
No penalty or ref telling Sloan to go forward where he was held.
Second was when jwh tackled Leilua and stayed on him for ages even the commentators were amazed at how long jwh was on top of Leilua.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Know what you mean mate but I cant see a 2 division league, what I can see is the game going to other parts of the country, you would also have to imagine that if we had 2 divisions we would be in the bottom one and then unfortunately die a slow painful death through lack of interest. What we need is a draft to level things up.
Yes, we don’t really have the population for multi division comp. I think though the quality difference between the top group and the rest is almost a de facto one. The rich getting richer as it were. I agree a draft would be a real filip for the game but the players won’t support it.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes, we don’t really have the population for multi division comp. I think though the quality difference between the top group and the rest is almost a de facto one. The rich getting richer as it were. I agree a draft would be a real filip for the game but the players won’t support it.
We have just got to adopt the same approach as the Bulldogs. They don't have any players at that club that were there a couple of seasons ago. Got rid of them all as well as Barrett. Had Burton and Addo-Carr and a couple more good newbies there and then built on them.

Build on the best we have, get rid of rubbish and buy, buy, buy. It will cost us but it will bring success sooner than later. Who is out there? I'm sure that there are many that would be upgrades on our worst crop.

Just look at what we have? Not too bad, but not too good either. We want speed, bulk, good thinking players. The game is much faster now with the rules that have been thrust upon the guys so physicality and strength and endurance are needed for all players but speed and power through bulk and strength needed as well.

Poor possm hasn't come on to the forum for quite a while - maybe a few posts but not as many as he was posting. He knows what we need like we all know but the bloomin' club officials just couldn't care less.

Last edited:

Bunga

Juniors
Our lack of speed is another constant issue we have. This was clearly on display when Luc gave a beautiful cut out pass to Tuipulotu who had a saloon passage down the sideline. Daniel Tupou had to turn and chase and easily got back in time to take the inside pass intercept. Our whole team lacks speed, from 1 to 13, even Sloan seems to be in slow motion, stopping and starting, never just putting the foot down and accelerating through the line.

Dragon David

First Grade
Our lack of speed is another constant issue we have. This was clearly on display when Luc gave a beautiful cut out pass to Tuipulotu who had a saloon passage down the sideline. Daniel Tupou had to turn and chase and easily got back in time to take the inside pass intercept. Our whole team lacks speed, from 1 to 13, even Sloan seems to be in slow motion, stopping and starting, never just putting the foot down and accelerating through the line.
Hi Bunga

I think you mean Dom Young taking that intercept. Again, it comes back to the way our players think and if they do, then it's the wrong think. Tui possibly should have kicked it ahead - not sure if Teddy was covering and might have got the ball from the kick - might have to see a replay. But anyway, nothing came of it and we lost a scoring chance maybe.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
didn’t get to watch the game, only saw the highlights.
That teddy try says it all. DeBelin cops a falcon. Sloan has the chance to fall on the chooks player to complete the tackle. Instead he slides off him, allowing the player to get up, pass to teddy and the rest is history. f**king diabolical

VodkaSaint

Juniors
I was at the game, all the above comments on this page is spot on
I enjoyed watching the game at Allianz , what a beautiful stadium.
There supporters reminded me of our past supporters, so full on, sadly our army is nothing more than just try hard army these days and dont blame them, our club is has so far behind the 8 ball it is going to take a miracle to make us a regular top 4 team in the future
I bloody miss those days

Bunga

Juniors
Hi Bunga

I think you mean Dom Young taking that intercept. Again, it comes back to the way our players think and if they do, then it's the wrong think. Tui possibly should have kicked it ahead - not sure if Teddy was covering and might have got the ball from the kick - might have to see a replay. But anyway, nothing came of it and we lost a scoring chance maybe.
Yes, my mistake. I had so much rage during that play I got my roosters wingers mixed up.