What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 CANBERRA RAIDERS V MELBOURNE STORM

raidersforme

Juniors
The CFMEU Canberra Raiders have named rookie forward Joe Picker on a five man bench this weekend, for the important match against the Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium. Picker joins the experienced Alan Rothery and speedy William Zillman on the Raiders bench, with Scott Logan moving into the starting side for the injured Troy Thompson.
Ben Jones retains his place in the starting side for the match, with Neville Costigan set to miss this weekend’s match after taking the early guilty plea today for a grade one dangerous throw.
Costigan will only miss the one match, while Thompson is waiting on the results of an MRI to determine the extent of his shoulder injury.
Raiders Coach Neil Henry said Prop Scott Logan would move into the starting line-up for the injured Thompson, while injuries and suspension would give some others a chance to have a shot in first grade.
“Scott comes into the starting side and he was strong in patches last weekend,” Henry said. “It also gives an opportunity to include a couple of other guys in the squad with Zillman, Joe Picker and Alan Rothery coming in.”
Henry said an injury cloud also hangs over centre Phil Graham, so a decision on the final makeup of the side would be made later in the week
“There’s a chance we can use the young guys. Zillman could play fullback while Marshall Chalk off the bench is .viable for us with his utility value, as he can play in the back row and the outside backs,” he said. “We need to check how Phil Graham is, he has had scans today on his sternum and if he’s not right Chalk would go to the centres and Zillman would play fullback.”
CANBERRA RAIDERS V MELBOURNE STORM
CANBERRA STADIUM, SATURDAY MARCH 24, 7.30pm
1. MARSHALL CHALK
2. COLIN BEST
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. DAVID HOWELL
5. ADRIAN PURTELL
6. TODD CARNEY
7. MICHAEL DOBSON
8. SCOTT LOGAN
9. LINCOLN WITHERS
10. DANE TILSE
11. GLEN TURNER
12. BEN JONES
13. ALAN TONGUE (C)
14. ANDREW DUNEMANN
15. JOE PICKER
16. JOSH MILLER
17. ALAN ROTHERY
18. WILLIAM ZILLMAN
spacer.gif

Source http://www.raiders.com.au/www/detail_desc.php?news_id=88

aussies1st

Staff member
Would have liked Zillman in the start 13, probably will miss out if Graham is fit.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Rothery offers more to us then Kahler or Ben Jones does
Rothery has the potential to be a very similar player for us as what Dave Furner was (without the kicking), he has size, reasonable speed, a very neat step and the ability to offload, get him running at the smaller outside backs and offloading to the likes of Best, Graham and Zillman, we could see a few tries ceome from it

Macko8

Juniors
I would of liked to see jason williams or trevor thurling named in the 18 before Alan Rothery.
What type of player is joe picker????hows his attack and defence????
aggresive or quiet achiever???

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I saw Jason Williams at the same trial, by the way, where he was a spectator. He looked grossly, grossly unfit.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure how much of him we'll see in the first part of this year.

legend

Coach
Nick, Melbourne don't have any small outside backs. Inglis, Folau, King and Quinn are all very big boys and Slater is no slouch either.

Raider_69

Post Whore
legend said:
Nick, Melbourne don't have any small outside backs. Inglis, Folau, King and Quinn are all very big boys and Slater is no slouch either.

all the more reason to be throwing big boys with abit of skill and mobility like rothery at them, rather then giving them a toiler like Ben Jones to feast on...

thickos

First Grade
Running backrower, not overly big but mobile.

OK the policy with Zillman is now just confusing me.

Edwahu

Bench
Picker is pretty simmilar to Furner in style as well from what I have seen. I am suprised to see him in firsts this early, especially against Melbourne. Guess we are short on options though.

On Rothery, I am his biggest fan but its now or never for him.

aussies1st

Staff member
After our last game surely we would want another attacking player in Zillman to help spark it up.

yeah i sure hope zillman gets a run but i also hope graham is fit one of our best attacking players. Zillman should be atleast in the starting 13

Raider_69

Post Whore
ive gotten the heads up from Munsie at sports tab

Head to head:
Melbourne - $0.85
Canberra - $12.80

nickraider

Juniors
WTF is Zillman not in the side? What does he have to do to get picked? All the talk about being a future star and he can't even get a gig. he should be in the starting side for mine. NOT HAPPY!

dubby

Bench
No surprises there. The only changes Henry is making is due to injuries IMO.

We may yet see Zilly there if Graham is unfit to play. I am VERY surprised to see Picker there.

I can see that Henry is trying to persevere with his regulars in their positions but injuries are really starting to hurt (pun not intended) our side.

I just wish we had a fit squad....

nickraider

Juniors
Didn't he leave Zillman out last week because he wanted more experience with Howell and then he goes and picks Picker :?

Latest posts