What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 CANBERRA RAIDERS V MELBOURNE STORM

Macko8

Juniors
It was a positive performance wasnt it. Although we didnt end up with the win we stuck to it and its a step in the right direction. We will only get better.

Its going to be a real hard job for henry when fellas like lahrs,weyman and co return,because he faces a task of trying to fit them in the top 17 when forwards like miller,logan,turner,jonesy and tilse are all on there game.
But for lahrs and weyman at the end of the day there game breakers and can really bend the line.

Macko8

Juniors
lol he was wasnt he, he played like a dead set 15 year old forward last week
but if he can play like that every week,geeee he'll go a long way with this raiders outfit!!

julian87

Juniors
I have to eatn my words about Tilse. He was awesome ronight.

Purtell is sub par. Howell is terrible in the cntres. I'd like to see Frawley of Kelly in for Purtell. Them to right sentre, Howell to left wing. Costigan, Dunemann and Weyman back nextbweek, yay!

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Well Neil Henry said it, "the scoreline didn't reflect the game". It flattered Melbourne who were lucky to get away with a few dubious looking passes. I will admit though, Brett White's try was spectacular.

aussies1st

Staff member
julian87 said:
I have to eatn my words about Tilse. He was awesome ronight.

Purtell is sub par. Howell is terrible in the cntres. I'd like to see Frawley of Kelly in for Purtell. Them to right sentre, Howell to left wing. Costigan, Dunemann and Weyman back nextbweek, yay!

Where you putting Zillman?

From what I saw Tilse looked much better, took the ball to the line much better. Defence looked to be much better this week just a few lapse in concentration let in a few tries that cost us the game. Still something to work on.

julian87

Juniors
Zillman to stay at fullback. Hopefully he can get more involved. We really needed him to frun from dummy half last night.

el magic

Juniors
Zillman has the talent and skill to make a great outside back, maybe fullback looking at his performance their tonight, if he just stays injury free for 2007 and puts on some good shows throughout the year, he will be reconised and begin to make himself a regular first grader.

Good luck to him :)

Walt Flanigan

Referee
When Zillman starts attacking the high ball he's going to be very handy. Watching Bowen and Minchiello last night that's something they both do well and it gets their team alot of metres. He could take a leaf out of Slaters book aswell by lingerng behind the ruck and smashing on to offloads, that's what tore us apart last night.

Chachi

Bench
Well, I totally missed the game due to a number of reasons, but I'm really happy that Tilse had a strong game from all accounts. Given that Jones went down too we're really going to need guys like Tilse, Miller and Turner firing in the next couple of weeks.

Sounds like Dobbo had a good game too and provided much more variety in attack in combination with Carney. This is a great time for our young blokes to stand up and take resposibility for the team - nobody expects anything from us to they can really chance their hand.

To be honest I was fully expecting a 10-20 point loss, but to be right in the game with 20 to go is encouraging. Having said that, Withers form is a real worry but I'm confident he'll come good.

I think we should be a good chance next Monday against the Knights - especially if we can run their back row around a bit. They're pretty soft in the centres too so that should be a good matchup.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Very impressed with Tilse and Logan last night. Makes me wonder what the ultimate make up of the forwards will be over the next couple of weeks with players returning. Could there be some "high profile" players in PL e.g. Thommo, Miller etc? Try and construct a starting side and bench and you will see what I mean.

Poida_Raider

Bench
i think zillman really needs to make some dummyhalf runs, get his hands on the ball alot more. i think the only times he did touch the ball last night were almost all on kick returns. he looks good tho, hes not so small as i had imagined. im very lucky that my brother has foxtel iq in his house over here, so i can watch the games over here. altho i finish work at 6. which is 8 over there, so its good he has the iq on his fox so i can record the games if im workin, which is the case every second weekend.
i think we can do ok this season. i look forward to gettin back to nsw, gettin off the plane in sydney and seeing a game or two of canberra.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i went to the game last week not expecting to win, and hoping for a much improved performance, i got that so im a happy dude this week

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
Withers wasn't all bad last night he made a few good fast darts but yeah hopefully get better as the season goes on.

Hi All.

William Zillman showed me nothing that makes me think he should be fullback.

Adrian Purtell is not of first grade standard.

David Howell and Phil Graham need to get more involved.

The problem for the Raiders is the backline. We have enough up front to match it with the rest of the teams in the NRL.

The performance was indeed much better than the previous week.

I do give the Raiders a chance against the Knights in the next round and if they do win, have a great chance to move up the ladder courtesy of following games against the Eels and Roosters.

All the best,

Master_Raider®©

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
On another thread earlier in the year I proposed the move of Tongue to No. 9. After 2 rounds I have seen nothing to change my mind on this idea. IMO the pack would have a far greater presence with say Bickerstaff or Turner at lock and Tongue at hooker. We lose a bit of size playing both Withers and Tongue. I am in no way knocking Tongue by this suggestion, I don't think his game would have to change that much. Under the current scenario (Withers 9 Tongue 13) a forward is going to miss out that may offer us more in the "hit up"department.

With Weyman,Thurling and Costigan back and TLL back this week followed by Bickerstaff and Thommo., it's the only way to be able to play of many as these guys as possible in the top grade.

Macko8

Juniors
Sydney_Raider said:
On another thread earlier in the year I proposed the move of Tongue to No. 9. After 2 rounds I have seen nothing to change my mind on this idea. IMO the pack would have a far greater presence with say Bickerstaff or Turner at lock and Tongue at hooker. We lose a bit of size playing both Withers and Tongue. I am in no way knocking Tongue by this suggestion, I don't think his game would have to change that much. Under the current scenario (Withers 9 Tongue 13) a forward is going to miss out that may offer us more in the "hit up"department.

With Weyman,Thurling and Costigan back and TLL back this week followed by Bickerstaff and Thommo., it's the only way to be able to play of many as these guys as possible in the top grade.

I agree with you tongue could and should be tried as the starting hooking option.
But where does it leave withers and dunemann,cant play both of them in the interchange, i'd be picking simply on form.

I wouldnt mind seeing TLL at lock
Is he due back this week against the knights????I thought it wasnt until round 4-5????

Latest posts