What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 - Storm vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 17th March 8:05pm @AAMI Park

Rabbits20

Immortal
SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

Nafedogg

Juniors
Yep lucky to only lose that one by 1 point. There’s some hope there guys! We killed ourselves up until 12mins to go. On to next week.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Yep lucky to only lose that one by 1 point. There’s some hope there guys! We killed ourselves up until 12mins to go. On to next week.
I get that, but footy can be a funny game, the game was there to be won, we bombed about 4 tries at least. To be a top side, you gotta grab those chances

The come back showed a lot of spirit and some good signs, but some individual muffs under pressure…and I think the game had all but got away from you by half time.

As an optimist, I’m thinking it was a very good game for learning the craft and there’s a lot you can take away. They still had some major talent out there.

As a pessimist, say a 10% chance recruitment got their sums wrong and some of the kids aren’t up to it.

I’m pretty confident you could have broken through with a gags or Reynolds, although the latter has been a bit too cool for school this week.

Apparently you have some wriggle room for a class back, which would have helped.

But every South’s player out there except Latrell will be better for this game. It’s that kind of loss.

It also had that “lucky dip” air about it at the end. I was hoping for the miracle for you, but not to be.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Ughhh jeez that hurts. That really, really bloody hurts. Wanted to get that one so bad in the end but we simply can't win in Melbourne. We just cannot win there. It's heartbreaking to lose by 1 after that kind of game and I feel quite shattered.

So many mixed feelings about that game, I don't quite know what the hell just happened. On the one hand, I'm absolutely fuming because we played pretty much the worst we could for 65 minutes. Seriously, it was diabolical, just about the worst I've seen from any team. A dropped ball just about every set and we bombed two, three, maybe even four tries at least. It was honestly disgusting.

But on the other hand, I'm so bloody proud of that amazing comeback!! I said all game on the couch that we were creating good shape, just couldn't execute it, and that when things finally clicked, we'd be on. That proved to be very true because once we found our mojo, we honestly looked unstoppable and the Storm didn't know how to handle us. I take a lot of confidence from that and hopefully things have now fully clicked.

It just sucks because if we complete at even something like 70% and just ice a couple opportunities, we win comfortably I reckon.

I'll go into more detail tomorrow, just gutted for now.

Steenson123

Juniors
A truly BIZARRE encounter @ Hoodoo Voodoo Land. Truly bizarre.
One can only wonder if Milne had been starting at centre what could have happened. And Mitchell, normally a 75% or so 2 pointer kicker, fails with 3 conversions!!
We level scored Bellamy 3-3 on his home turf. Statement considering the line-up is a work in progress?
This just shows the strength this squad has and how they can defeat any opponent with smarter team selections and greater ball control and handling.

Last edited:

Steenson123

Juniors
Ughhh jeez that hurts. That really, really bloody hurts. Wanted to get that one so bad in the end but we simply can't win in Melbourne. We just cannot win there. It's heartbreaking to lose by 1 after that kind of game and I feel quite shattered.

So many mixed feelings about that game, I don't quite know what the hell just happened. On the one hand, I'm absolutely fuming because we played pretty much the worst we could for 65 minutes. Seriously, it was diabolical, just about the worst I've seen from any team. A dropped ball just about every set and we bombed two, three, maybe even four tries at least. It was honestly disgusting.

But on the other hand, I'm so bloody proud of that amazing comeback!! I said all game on the couch that we were creating good shape, just couldn't execute it, and that when things finally clicked, we'd be on. That proved to be very true because once we found our mojo, we honestly looked unstoppable and the Storm didn't know how to handle us. I take a lot of confidence from that and hopefully things have now fully clicked.

It just sucks because if we complete at even something like 70% and just ice a couple opportunities, we win comfortably I reckon.

I'll go into more detail tomorrow, just gutted for now.
I'm looking at the plus side.
We levelled scored Bellamy 3-3 on his turf. Not easy for anyone to do. Plus we have a line-up that needs tweeking, starting at centre. Once that change was made things started to fire. Sure the squad is 0-2 BUT they should develop a degree of confidence from that second half.
Keep playing Ilias, he might become a nice player and put Milne at centre, Paulo back to the flank as most of us have been calling for.

Last edited:

Runrabbit14

Juniors
I'm looking at the plus side.
We outscored Bellamy 3-2 on his turf. Not easy for anyone to do. Plus we have a line-up that needs tweeking, starting at centre. Once that change was made things started to fire. Sure the squad is 0-2 BUT they should develop a degree of confidence from that second half.
Keep playing Ilias, he might become a nice player and put Milne at centre, Paulo back to the flank as most of us have been calling for.
I have been simmering the last couple of hours with the crap served up for the first hour of that game. The close scoreline shouldn’t cover over our issues.
I am willing to give JD this season to develop as a first grade coach but his selection of Paulo at centre defies belief.
I don’t know anyone who was in favour so that has created a seed of doubt with me now.
We haven’t kicked a goal in 2 games just to add to our list of things that need improving.
Havili could be a handy buy.

callmack1

Staff member
Thrilling comeback falls just short as Souths fall to Storm in golden point: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...hort-as-souths-fall-to-storm-in-golden-point/

Press Conference - Round 2: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/03/17/nrl-press-conference-storm-v-rabbitohs---round-2-2022/

Demetriou proud of fightback in match that "could have gone anywhere": https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...tback-in-match-that-could-have-gone-anywhere/

Storm trio make statement ahead of contract talks, Souths' glaring mistake exposed again - 3 big hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/995a4a024b44807eda5d4a3032415277

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Paulo was a gun at centre in the juniors so obviously JD thinks he can reach that level in the NRL. Its nice to log back in and see that there's still reasonable souths fans because looking at social media you'd think we were contenders for the spoon.

A new spine is always going to have teething pains. I would really like to see Ilias step up and take control of this team but its a lot to ask from a rookie. Cody is not an organiser and never should be made to play that role because his best footy comes from off the cuff footy.

Im quite happy as to where we are at this stage of the season. I thought we would be a lot worse off against the storm.

Its actually nice to see we're not leaking points as well. Some lazy defence in the middle cost us early in the game but that was also some storm brilliance.

I think souths will do a lot better than most are predicting this year, especially once our spine clicks. Hopefully we can stick it to the roosters.

Hopefully JD doesn't start tearing the team apart because I dont think that's the solution either.

Some of the squad look really underdone from the preseason. Hopefully they can catch up in the next couple of weeks.

Nafedogg

Juniors
I liked how Arrow was playing these last 2 games, topping the fowards stats once again, big runs, some nice line breaks. As I said in the earlier comments, Cook NEEDS to improve, get that dummy half running game back as his service from dummy half is bog average in my opinion, compared to Grant who just outplayed him.

A loss sucks, but we had plenty of time to win this game, once Milne and Paulo shifted the attack started to work, hopefully JD took note and won’t make that mistake again.

so clunky in 2nd half, some positional rejigging and bang…we were on. Sure, we had luck. But Melbourne weren’t that crash hot either and we clawed back respect. Everyone this morning to me is ‘wow, how about them Rabbitohs…exciting, eh?’
I think Cook’s days are numbered. If we’re transitioning, get Mamazoo in there with Ilias, Taaffe, Moale, etc and build it properly.

big hit!

Bench
Completion rate was less than 50% at one stage. Never going to win a game of footy with that.

Melbourne’s edge defence were fantastic with their aggression. Souths response was to try tap on after tap on.

Just do the basics well FFS.

Latest posts